Part of Patriot Act ruled unconstitutional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part of Patriot Act ruled unconstitutional

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A federal judge has declared unconstitutional a portion of the USA Patriot Act that bars giving expert advice or assistance to groups designated international terrorist organizations.

The ruling marks the first court decision to declare a part of the post-September 11, 2001 anti-terrorism statute unconstitutional, said David Cole, a Georgetown University law professor who argued the case on behalf of the Humanitarian Law Project.

In a ruling handed down late Friday and made available Monday, U.S. District Judge Audrey Collins said the ban on providing "expert advice or assistance" is impermissibly vague, in violation of the First and Fifth Amendments.

John Tyler, the Justice Department attorney who argued the case, had no comment and referred calls to the department press office in Washington. A message left there was not immediately returned.

The case before the court involved five groups and two U.S. citizens seeking to provide support for lawful, nonviolent activities on behalf of Kurdish refugees in Turkey.

The Humanitarian Law Project, which brought the lawsuit, said the plaintiffs were threatened with 15 years in prison if they advised groups on seeking a peaceful resolution of the Kurds' campaign for self-determination in Turkey.

The judge's ruling said the law, as written, does not differentiate between impermissible advice on violence and encouraging the use of peaceful, nonviolent means to achieve goals.

"The USA Patriot Act places no limitation on the type of expert advice and assistance which is prohibited and instead bans the provision of all expert advice and assistance regardless of its nature," the judge said.

Cole declared the ruling "a victory for everyone who believes the war on terrorism ought to be fought consistent with constitutional principles."

Re: Part of Patriot Act ruled unconstitutional

Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security.
      Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Comment

Good. Now let's get the rest of it.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The patriot act is an evil in disguise.

The might of the US military has always been enough to safeguard the USA.

The events of the last few years have had more to them than meets the eye.
          http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
          http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

I concur entirely with the thread thus far.
            "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
            "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Smile
              For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
              But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
                I concur entirely with the thread thus far.
                I must dissent.

A people unwilling to sacrifice some part of their individual rights for the welfare of the people as a whole are not worthy of liberties nor will they long enjoy them.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Viking
                  They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security.
                  They who would not give up temporary liberty for essential security, will have neither liberty or security.

This government is not our enemy, nor did they kill thousands of our countrymen on 9/11. Now is again the time for all good men to come to the support of our country.

Comment

Stealth-transforming a free nation into a draconian police-state does not benefit the people.

Only the corrupt mandarins in charge.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick

I must dissent.

A people unwilling to sacrifice some part of their individual rights for the welfare of the people as a whole are not worthy of liberties nor will they long enjoy them.
                      As evidenced by the courts shutting part of the Patriot Act down.

Comment

I think these groups and US Citizens need to be a little less concerned about Kurdish liberty and a little more concerned about US security. Turkey has cooperated with US anti-terrorism and US citizens need to just stop their efforts against Turkish national interests.

There is a war on.

Comment

A 'war' that oddly enough generates vast profits for the same people drafting this dubious 'act'.

A pleasing symmetry, for those on the make.

Comment

why am I not surprised by this news?

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick

They who would not give up temporary liberty for essential security, will have neither liberty or security.

This government is not our enemy, nor did they kill thousands of our countrymen on 9/11. Now is again the time for all good men to come to the support of our country.
                              the goverment is always the enemy. Power corrupts. It is an inevitability. Yes we do need goverment for some essentual things. But homeland security is not one of them. . Yes that would appear to not make sense, but it does.

Comment

Working...
                              X