Ohio Senate Approves Gay-Marriage Ban

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio Senate Approves Gay-Marriage Ban

Rolling back USAmerican Equality and Freedom, one goose-step at a time...

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

Ohio Senate Approves Gay-Marriage Ban
    1 hour, 22 minutes ago

By ANDREW WELSH-HUGGINS, Associated Press Writer

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Lawmakers gave final approval Wednesday to a measure banning gay marriage and prohibiting state employees from getting benefits for domestic partners.

The bill is considered among the most far-reaching in the nation because of the benefits ban, which applies to unmarried heterosexual and homosexual couples.

The Senate passed the legislation on an 18-15 vote Wednesday. The House has already approved the bill and Gov. Bob Taft has said he will sign it, pending a legal review.

The measure says same-sex marriages are "against the strong public policy of the state," and aims to counter a 1934 U.S. Supreme Court (news - web sites) ruling requiring states to recognize marriages from other states in most circumstances.

Thirty-seven states have passed laws recognizing marriage as a sacrament between men and women.

Ohio is the second state, after Nebraska, that would prohibit benefits for state employees' unmarried partners, said Seth Kilbourn, national field director for the Human Rights Campaign, a Washington-based gay and lesbian lobbying group.

Ohio lawmakers struggled with the issue for seven years, when then-Rep. Jay Hottinger introduced a bill in the House. Hottinger, now a senator, said the bill was not an attack on homosexuals but rather meant to protect a traditional definition of marriage.

"Ohio must be able to clearly establish and define our own laws rather than have another state or country define something as important as marriage," said Hottinger, a Republican.

Sen. Eric Fingerhut, a Cleveland Democrat, said the bill will hurt Ohio by limiting the ability of businesses and universities to attract talented people.

"If we pass this bill, get up tomorrow and look in the mirror," Fingerhut said. "Smiling back at you is someone who has slowed Ohio's progress by putting up a sign to people that says, 'We don't want you here.'"

The vote came despite opposition by some large companies. Dayton-based NCR Corp. sent a letter to lawmakers Dec. 12 saying the bill could hurt the company's ability to attract and retain employees.

Similar bills have been introduced in each session since Hottinger first introduced the legislation. But former Senate President Richard Finan, a Republican, blocked its passage. He said state law already took care of the matter.

While I do agree that the FMA is unlikely to soil the US Constitution any time soon, I don't believe it even needs to in order to illicit the desired effect. It merely encourages and energizes the assh*les who promote this kind of legislated hate at the state level.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

This isn't rolling back any rights; it's just codifying the status quo.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

The measure says same-sex marriages are "against the strong public policy of the state,"

Hottinger, now a senator, said the bill was not an attack on homosexuals

I call BS.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Man, this isn't what we need right now.

Comment

the forces of the right are amassing in ohio for their massive frontal attack on the forces of the left, which are amassing in the american northeast.

the climactic battle will take place in adams county, pennsylvania, and much blood will be spilt.

we ride at dawn, boys, to war.
          B♭3

Comment

My wife hails from Ohio and remembers the days of close mindedness she grew up with there. Initially both being extremely homophobic small towners we have since amended our ways.

It comes as no surprise to me that this came from Ohio.

"Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

If I ever move to Ohio, I'm going to have wild sex on their senate floor.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

make it as offensive as possible, asher. not only have wild sex on the senate floor, but invite all your friends and have a wild orgy with animal sex.

actually, just get furries to go have a yiff on their senate floor, and tell anybody who cherishes their sanity to flee an area of about 1000 miles.
                B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  If I ever move to Ohio, I'm going to have wild sex on their senate floor.
                  Me too, but only with a hot chick.
                  http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                    make it as offensive as possible, asher. not only have wild sex on the senate floor, but invite all your friends and have a wild orgy with animal sex.

actually, just get furries to go have a yiff on their senate floor, and tell anybody who cherishes their sanity to flee an area of about 1000 miles.
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Well, I was born and raised in Ohio ... Glad I'm no longer an Ohioan.
                      "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                      "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

The marriage man isn't so surprising, but the benefits ban for domestic partners is a real kick in the teeth.

Meh, Ohio's looking more and more like an industrial backwater. Just another way to drive away big companies.
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Doesn't Colorado have a similar ban? I could be wrong...

Comment

At least in the US the people have a say, unlike here in Canada.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

At least in the US the people have a say, unlike here in Canada.
                              Yes, our fine sycophants decided what's best for us.

Comment

Working...
                              X