Where did YOU come from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did YOU come from?

Before you stumble upon the holy bastion amongst the waste that is the internet were did you hang out online?

Me, I used to frequent Bravenet and MSN chat rooms and then I found JRChat which is a chatroom created by LummoxJR, who is practicaly the founding father of the Creatures community (not stefu not furries, its a computer game). There I learned how to be civil and conduct myself without asking "a/s/l" "wanna cyber" etc. Then one day I did a dogpile search on "Civ2 scenarios" and the most mentioned site was CFC, but because I liked Apolyton's lay out and forums more I came here.

I found CivFanatics and Apolyton at the same time, while trying to design a "Second Age of Middle Earth" scenario for CivII. Then there was the run-up to CivIII, it's release, and somewhere along the line I found the OT forum. Mistake, that.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

local gay chatrooms for most part

In terms of forums though, and not chatrooms -- Apolyton has been the first forum I have become stuck with over the years -- there was one fictional writers' forum that I found, but they closed that one down.

So now, Apolyton is the only forum I participate in. Markos should give me brownie points for my loyalty.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

straight outta compton.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I honestly don't remember. There was some forum on which I regularly discussed politics and such. I remember hanging out there during the 2000 elections. But I have no clue where it was now, or even what my user name was.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

First forums I used were WWII literary forums that long ago perished, then an few mIRC chatrooms.

Started at Apoyton, but moved to CFC beause some of the experianced unit makers gave me considerable help, then CDG. Always monitored Poly though.

OT was something I participated in when I first joined both forums, basically becasue the other forum members warned me agains it But I got tired of them and left, came back to both a few months ago, but CFC's is hardly as entertaining as this one.
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

OWO

I had visited theold Ultimate site, but didn't stay (just downloaded scenarios)

Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Before Poly, I mostly hung out in AOL financial chatrooms giving people terrible investing tips, or AOL dating chatrooms pretending to be a woman. I'm not exactly sure how that led to me eventually winding up at Poly, but whatever.
                <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Discovered CFC and Apolyton at the same time. I got the brilliant idea of seeing what sites they were on civ, and these two were by far the best. Iliked the strategy offered on CFC, but I loved the demogames offered on Apolyton. I remember sifting through all the civ2DG archives, and then joining the game.

For the first 4 months, I stayed exclusively ontopic, until I checked out this mysterious off-topic forum. Since then I've probably posted on a 2 to 1 ratio, twice as much off-topic as on.

Never posted before Apolyton, I never chatted either. Not much opportunity until I had my own computer at home with internet access, something I did not have up until the last year or so.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

I didn't. I discovered Apolyton after only being online for about a month or so, back in 98.
                    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

OWO
                      "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

:sigh:

I'm a former AOL-er...
                        "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                        ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

I found the site while looking for good civ2 scenerios to download and graphics to use in my own.

This is also the first and only internet forum I post.
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I first got online through Prodigy, which we had at work from about 1992. At home I didn't hook up until 1995, and my ISP was some company that has probably been resold about 3 or 5 times. Actually, I do know it has because the company that bought it sold itself to Compuserve, which in turn sold itself to AOL.

However, I jumped to AOL long before that because it was available nationally on a level that this other ISP couldn't even match (though it claimed nationwide coverage). It was at AOL where I first chatted and used message boards heavily - I preferred MB's much more than chatting, and far more than the cacophony of usenet. My first "favorite" board was an AOL board about the end of the millennium, and we talked a lot about Nostradumbass, Y2k (If I had a nickel for everytime I heard "If one part of the grid goes down, it'll ALL GO DOWN!!" I'd have a nicer car), "best of" lists, and stuff like that.

I got out of AOHell as soon as I got DSL (a couple of years ago), but my wife still uses it. The biggest complaint I had with the service is that you couldn't ALT-TAB between windows, which really slows me down.
                            Last edited by JohnT; January 13, 2004, 18:24.

Comment

Iron Lung, PC Zone, Alpha Centauri, Firaxis and OWO.
                              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                              X