No announcement yet.

What religion are you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was baptised, and did both First Communion and Confirmation.

I'm an atheist.
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

No religion. Previously catholic, then lapsed catholic, now not interested. Still have the residual guilt thing though, but speaking to other ex holy rollers that seems common. You can take the boy out of Catholicism, but you can't take Catholicism out of the boy.

Still, it's given me a keen appreciation for kitsch Mexican/Hispanic religious folk art and the more grotesque excesses of Christian Gothic...
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Wow... I got wonder if Spec regrets starting this poll!

We haven't discussed the Shintoist yet. That's my belief.
        Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
          Why shouldnt He believe in azazel? at least he exists.

You know, it wasn't supposed to be that way. If he wasn't such a goddamn tyrant, and would've let us do some stuff around, like all the other Normal pantheons, we wouldn't have rebelled against him. but NOOOOO, Y had to supervise all the stuff. Hey, cut us some slack, we aren't just drones, you know....****, we, we were... Freedom Fighters! Yep! that's right! But now, he's been badmouthing us for a couple of thousands of years, and saying how we're all 'evil', and stuff... , and he's supposedly this good god, and we're evil demons. Yeah, explain your way out of the holocaust, 'my good lord'.
          If youve followed my exchanges with ben, youd know ai consider the Shoah a very serious theological issue, and one that traditional justifications of "the way of God to Man" dont adequately address. The only way out, I think, is a different view of G-d, and of the mans relationship to G-d, and of the sources of our relationship to G-d one that explicitly deals with the Shoah. I wont go into the details here - I will recommend a book - "To Mend the World" by the late R. Emil Fackenheim.

A worthwhile book, for commited Christians and Humanists as well as those wrestling with Judaism - and one which struggles with classic humanist approaches to Jewishness as well (notably Spinoza, who Fackenheim sees as almost a proto-secular Zionist)
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

What the hell is a Boudist? Is that some horrible misspelling of Buddhist?
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

naw, it's a booDiss
              Monkey!!!

Comment

If youve followed my exchanges with ben, youd know ai consider the Shoah a very serious theological issue, and one that traditional justifications of "the way of God to Man" dont adequately address. The only way out, I think, is a different view of G-d, and of the mans relationship to G-d, and of the sources of our relationship to G-d one that explicitly deals with the Shoah. I wont go into the details here - I will recommend a book - "To Mend the World" by the late R. Emil Fackenheim.

Is this new god a cold an uncaring god, that considers us his little playthings? This strikes me as more reasonable.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Will somebody explain to me briefly why people write G-d instead of God?

Comment

a VERY ancient taboo, of sorts. Stems from the ancient belief that if you said one's name, you control him in some way.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

• I don't know M-nk. Thanks for the explanation Az-zel.
                      Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

• Originally posted by Azazel
                        a VERY ancient taboo, of sorts. Stems from the ancient belief that if you said one's name, you control him in some way.

I have a different explanation for it. In Judaism you cannot throw away anything that has God's name on it. So people type G-d so it's not actually His name

Comment

• Christian and Protestant, Methodist variety.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                          X