Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer doing odd things. Make it stop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer doing odd things. Make it stop.

Okay, today I was surfing the net, as you do. And I clicked onto this website, as you do. Then it got weird.

My connection to the Internet was broken and then my computer started to redial. But the sound the modem was making was....wrong. Like it wasn't dialing the usual number. So, in a fit of technophobic panic, I pulled the plug.

Anyway, restarted the computer and opened up IE. My start page had been changed. Worrying. I changed it back but now when I click on links, there's a random chance of IE crashing. It's happened 5 times so far.

I'm running my anti-virus software but the virus logs haven't been updated in ages.

Please fix my machine.
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

Yer screwed.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
      Yer screwed.
      heh, almost true, just spend the rest of your life waiting until it doesn't crash and update the anti-virus then
      why no revolution :(

Comment

nvm
        Last edited by RGBVideo; September 12, 2012, 01:41.

Comment

Re: Computer doing odd things. Make it stop.

Originally posted by Starchild

I'm running my anti-virus software but the virus logs haven't been updated in ages.
          Okay, it looks like you're using a dial-up modem connection and that your Windows system has downloaded a dialer program that automatically dials in the background to some special service number (domestic or abroad), which has an additional service charge (many of these are XXX related). Also your browser has apparently been hijacked. This has nothing to with viruses and worms, but you surely have bad data security, as you haven't taken care of regular system maintenance. Keep your antivirus definitions and clients updated!

What you now have to do, is to use Lavasoft Ad-aware Personal or Spybot S&D to recognise these malwares and to have them removed. Follow the links to download the programs and install them. Do update them before using them.

Problem solved; basically.
          "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Okay, it looks like you're using a dial-up modem connection and that your Windows system has downloaded a dialer program that automatically dials in the background to some special service number (domestic or abroad), which has an additional service charge (many of these are XXX related). Also your browser has apparently been hijacked. This has nothing to with viruses and worms, but you surely have bad data security, as you haven't taken care of regular system maintenance. Keep your antivirus definitions and clients updated!
            Yes.

What you now have to do, is to use Lavasoft Ad-aware Personal or Spybot S&D to recognise these malwares and to have them removed. Follow the links to download the programs and install them. Do update them before using them.

Problem solved; basically.
            One can hope.

Comment

okay, downloaded spybot, ran it, found an autodialer....for an XXX site (*innocent*) and got rid of it.

Thank you!
              Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

We just had a thread on this yesterday, with Connor and myself getting rid of spyware.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Sounds lika a web site used a security hole in IE; make sure to use windows update to close any holes.
                  http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Two things you can do to prevent this to happen again:

1. Get rid of your modem
                    2. Don't click on links saying "xxxtreme interracial gangbang orgy"
                    The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

No modem it is then
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X