Free Countries, Guns and Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Countries, Guns and Beer

It is always funny to see here on Poly people praise the liberty of their country: USAmericans being proud of being able to buy guns of every sort in the supermarket and sometimes whining about not being able to buy a beer without excessive control , or Euros who really love their quite free access to alcohol but who really would love to have a simpler way to guns and stuff, not me of course, I refused to go to military for some reason.

But honestly: Imagine a really free country with free access to alcohol and free access to guns. Is it paradise on earth or is it rather hell?
    I'd think the latter.

So, let's be happy in our not-so-free countries ...
    Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

What if we ban cars. No more traffic accidents... ?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

where is access to booze restricted in the US? ('cept that stupid below 21 rule that doesn't apply to most americans. )
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Sweden is the only Christian nation where you can't buy beer in the supermarket. Even Norway has it (but expensive).
        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Chemical Ollie, i didn't know that.. interesting.. weird.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
            Sweden is the only Christian nation where you can't buy beer in the supermarket. Even Norway has it (but expensive).
            uh... you can in the US too...

Comment

A coworker of mine was in (IIRC) Tennessee, where it was impossible to get a beer on a sunday.
              Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Sweden, Norway and Finland have USSR-style, government owned monopoly liqour & wine shops (Systembolaget, Monopolet and Alko). But Sweden is the only of them where you have to go to Systembolaget to buy beer stronger that 3.5 %.
                So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Chemical Ollie, true, but you don't get strong stuff in stores here either, but have to go to Alko.
                  In da butt.

Comment

Class III is available in Finnish supermarkets, but you have to go to Systembolaget to get it in Sweden.

Comment

I'm sorry
                      In da butt.

Comment

I never knew that either. Still maybe its a blessing in disguise - I once met two Swedish girls in singapore(no this isnt a joke),and one of their reasons for not being in Sweden was the high price of beer
                        'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Sweden, Norway and Finland have USSR-style, government owned monopoly liqour & wine shops (Systembolaget, Monopolet and Alko).
                          So does the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, but we call them "Wine and Spirit Shoppes". How quaint. Nice money maker for the state. Just recently they began opening a select few of these stores on Sunday for the first time since before Prohibition (1920).

Beer is sold by the case only at licensed distributors, closed Sundays. By the six pack you can get beer at most bars and some licensed sandwich/pizza shops. It is NOT available in Supermarkets.
                          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

we do have free access to alcohol in the U.S.

Come to Las Vegas.

In Vegas we have easy access to alcohol and guns. Our crime rate can be bad, but not compared to other major U.S. cities.

Comment

Alcohol tastes better when bought illegally. I know a couple of unlicensed farms that churn out a mean batch of scrumpy and applejack.
                              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                              X