Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The English for sotka is scoter.

Comment

You know, I have noticed very few non-hispanics in all the commercials for Spanish TV, and almost no blacks.

You may have seen lations, only not the stereotypical guy with a obviosuly Meztizo or Indian face, but a white one.

As for hispanics on Commercials, all the Victoria secret ones, most of those women are Brazilian. Dr Pepper uses a lot of hispanics in their commercials, anytime you have dancing in a commercial, lots of hispanics.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I think this ad offers a sort of a distillation of Sotka. It includes the two Sotka actors. The younger one of them actually was a kid when the Sotka ads started and had to go through his puberty and acne and all that in national TV, advertising furniture.

"Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
        "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
          Like guys never do their own dishes, laundry, or clean house.

Real men don't. That's why I'm living in my own filth.
          Sooner a fake man with a fake health risk...

Comment

Fujitsu airconditioners had a set of "racial stereotype" ads, where a typical mexican in one case and an arab with a camel were fainting under the hot summer sun until they find themselves laying inside a house/tent with and A/C and then a Japanese in a fur coat chimes in and says: "You too get Fujitsu, no?"

A recent Peugeot 206 ad yould be rather provoking if seen by an american audience: white couple in said automobile goes for a drive in some obscure part of a harbor and find themselves surounded by about 100 gangsters, ALL blacks and latinos. The white guy does some tricks with the wheel and gearstick and they get the hell out of the place.

But I guess the most racist ad ever is the official ad of the Ministry of Interior Affairs, that urged all illegal immigrants to apply for a green card. It showed a hard-working peace-loving worker type in overalls, called Hassan, and his greek boss, who was saying how good a worker he's been e.t.c. IIRC, "Hassan" was unshaved and had a golden tooth...
            "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
            George Orwell

Comment

Re: Racist TV commercials

Originally posted by johncmcleod
              They hardly ever show Latinos on commercials.
              Plenty of them in commercials, both network and local, here in San Antonio.
              Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
              Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
              "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
              From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

I never saw hassan had a golden tooth! You are observative!

Kai sy parei futjitsou

Comment

Kaloooos, o hassan...
                  George Orwell

Comment

pantos i kaliteri einai ayti tis vodafone me to"mon amour"

Comment

hassan...
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Re: Racist TV commercials

Originally posted by johncmcleod

Another thing is on all the commercials of laundry detergent, dishwashing accessories, or any housecleaing product, they always have women doing the work. Like guys never do their own dishes, laundry, or clean house.

As far as sexism in commercials -- I think that this has changed a lot since the 1980s.

You see more commercials now with the father and his child spending quality time together -- didn't it used to be the case that commercials only showed mothers spending quality time with the kids??

But there is definitely one commercial that is sexist -- a commercial that showed the mom running around, immediately cleaning up every mark that her kids were making with their dirty hands, and her smiling all the while, merrily cleaning the house.

PULEEZ
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

a commercial that showed the mom running around, immediately cleaning up every mark that her kids were making with their dirty hands
                          This reminds me of the dirtiest pun ever used in greek advertising (back in the 80's). It featured a B-class actress (which has turned into a fat cow, nowdays), Gina Varoni, who plays the role of the housewive, who is chasing (on her knees) after her husband, a smoker that throws his ashes all around the floor...

And the punchline was:

"Gia na min ton pairnete apo piso, parte tou mia pipa."

which is supposed to mean:

"Buy him a pipe, so that you won't have to chase him around."

but which also means (in very meanstream slang):

"If you don't want to get ****ed from behind, give him a blow job."
                          George Orwell

Comment

I like the ads with a social message.

Comment

Have you seen the newest foundounia ad?
                              George Orwell

Comment

Nope. Does it also have a social message?

Comment

Working...
                                X