James ossuary genuine? ...!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James ossuary genuine? ...!

With the ACLU assualt on Christmas continuing, and with the NY school system denying equal rights to Christians because Jesus did not exist, it appears that the James ossuary might be genuine after all. It appears that the Israeli antiquities authority "rushed" to judgment and labeled the ossuary a fake when it may be genuine.

Amazing how this might have happened.

http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Re: James ossuary genuine? ...!

Originally posted by Ned
    It appears that the Israeli antiquities authority "rushed" to judgment and labeled the ossuary a fake when it may be genuine.
    That's what one of the people with a vested interest said. The only expert mentioned in the article was James Harrell, the Canadian geologist, whose opinion can only be labeled "neutral."
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

UR, I have been listening to our Israeli friends here on Apolyton for years, believing everything they said - or at least, tending to believe them and the Israeli press. Now, if they have deliberately "rushed" this investigation due to "self interest," I can tell you that I will never believe anything they say again.

I suspect many Christian supporters of Israel will feel the same.
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

People make mistakes all the time. Do you have any evidence to suggest malice on the part of the Israelis?
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
          People make mistakes all the time. Do you have any evidence to suggest malice on the part of the Israelis?
          No. And, I reserved my remarks for an "intentional" rush to judgment.

Comment

Just because they do it too quickly does not mean that they intended to distort the facts. Sure they could have waited, but it just means we need to reserve judgement on that ossuary.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
              Just because they do it too quickly does not mean that they intended to distort the facts. Sure they could have waited, but it just means we need to reserve judgement on that ossuary.
              I agree we have to reserve judgment all the way around. But the if it does appear that the ossuary is genuine, it truly does call a lot of things about Israel into question.

Comment

Geez, the CNN aricle didn't even mention the other little problems with the second part of the ossuary inscription, namely:

- it's written in a different style of handwriting (duh!)

- it's written on top of ancient scratches and other artifacts

- also,the fact that the "Jesus" part of the inscription does not share the same ancient patina as the rest is disturbing indeed, despite the very weak counterargument ("overcleaning" - of just that section?)

What's next, Shroud of Turin re-re-re-re-re-visited?
                Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

mindeye, we shall see.

But, if it were all written in modern times as was concluded by the Israeli's, then why would a forger use two different writing styles? This point seems to argue away from this being a forgery.

Comment

But, if it were all written in modern times as was concluded by the Israeli's, then why would a forger use two different writing styles? This point seems to argue away from this being a forgery.

So, if the "brother of Jesus" part is in a different style of handwriting, that makes it more likely to be ... authentic? Not followin' you here, Ned.

Personally, I would say the most likely reason for two different styles of handwriting is two different writers. Just guessing, but it may be difficult to precisely mimic antique handwriting ... especially when etching in stone.
                    Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Next up, Ned suggests that the Israelis faked the scratching and cleaning and writing in order to make the genuine article seem faked.

See it’s all part of a Jewish Bolshevik Zionist capitalist anti-Christian crusade, as expounded in the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, in which Leon Trotsky conspired with the Rothschilds to bring about WWII, in order to get Lieberman as President of the United States. Somewhere along the line, black helicopters and flouridation of water also play a part. The A.C.L.U. will provide the shock troops of the New World Hebraic Order.

Breaking news- the Jews killed Christ, and Jesus was never really Jewish....

Ned, a serious question- is it really necessary for your faith for you to believe this 'ossuary' is genuine? How about the Holy Lance in Vienna, or the innumerable relics and gewgaws left over from the credulous Middle Ages?

Jesus's face on a taco? Weeping statues? It seems to reduce something personal, moral and profound to the level of a carnival sideshow.
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom
                        Next up, Ned suggests that the Israelis faked the scratching and cleaning and writing in order to make the genuine article seem faked.

See it’s all part of a Jewish Bolshevik Zionist capitalist anti-Christian crusade, as expounded in the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, in which Leon Trotsky conspired with the Rothschilds to bring about WWII, in order to get Lieberman as President of the United States. Somewhere along the line, black helicopters and flouridation of water also play a part. The A.C.L.U. will provide the shock troops of the New World Hebraic Order.

Breaking news- the Jews killed Christ, and Jesus was never really Jewish....

Ned, a serious question- is it really necessary for your faith for you to believe this 'ossuary' is genuine? How about the Holy Lance in Vienna, or the innumerable relics and gewgaws left over from the credulous Middle Ages?

Jesus's face on a taco? Weeping statues? It seems to reduce something personal, moral and profound to the level of a carnival sideshow.
                        Well, Molly, you certainly show your colors.

As to me, I always thought that Jesus did exist and that what he had to say was very valuable. As to whether he was the Son of God, or a God himself - well I am agnostic. But I still think that Jesus was one of the most important humans to have every lived. He moved civilization forward by his philosophy. I am sure you must agree with that even if you do not believe that Jesus was the Son of God.

Comment

Originally posted by mindseye

So, if the "brother of Jesus" part is in a different style of handwriting, that makes it more likely to be ... authentic? Not followin' you here, Ned.

Personally, I would say the most likely reason for two different styles of handwriting is two different writers. Just guessing, but it may be difficult to precisely mimic antique handwriting ... especially when etching in stone.
                          Mindseye - the Israeli's concluded that the entire inscription was made during modern times. If this is true, then why did a skilled forger write two portions of the inscription in two different hands.

THAT does not make sense.

Comment

What a surreal thread.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                              What a surreal thread.
                              Is the answer to the question of authenticity important to the Jewish people?

Comment

Working...
                              X