No announcement yet.

American Mythologies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I celebrated thanksgiving the traditional way. I invited all my neighbors over for a huge feast. Then I killed them and took their land."
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

btw it is Leif Ericcson I believe. Or his crew (he may have died)

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
        "I celebrated thanksgiving the traditional way. I invited all my neighbors over for a huge feast. Then I killed them and took their land."
        that didn't happen till later

you people are hopeless. You are all filled with left-winger hate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

1. You asserted that it wasn't true Columbus slaughtered Amerindians. Which is false.

2. I never heard of the specific details of Columbus' atrocities in any class (and evidently you haven't either). What I learned about Columbus in school was some bull**** about the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria (and apparantly you've only learned something equally insubstantial with the "in Dios" thing). And maybe some inspecific factoid about his discovery eventually leading to ethnic cleansing.

I didn't learn in school, for instance, about how Columbus, in a fanatic search for gold, decided to force an entire Haitian province to mine gold, killing those who failed to come up with the required amount. Except that there wasn't very much gold there (except for a little bit of gold dust in the streams), so the natives there were totally massacred.

And Columbus is not necessarily vilified in society. Columbus Day is a national holiday, mind you. It's just a handful of PC lefitsts who raise any objections to that sort of thing.
          Columbus Day is not a holiday.

Comment

You don't get off work/school, but it is a holiday.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

People like to think that Hanson was the first President because it makes them feel smart for being one up on all the stupid people with the misconception that George Washington was. However, it is far more correct to say that George Washington was the first president. Saying that the United States during Hanson's time was a country would be like saying that Europe is a country now.
              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior

it is far more correct to say that George Washington was the first president.
                Of course, I agree.

George was the first president as we know it, under the current constitution.

Hanson was the first president under the articles of confederation.

People have a tendency to believe that immediately after the revolution, Washington was elected president. This was not the case, first the country had to go through a process of trial and error.

Comment

Any idea on when that process will come to a conclusion???
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

1. You asserted that it wasn't true Columbus slaughtered Amerindians. Which is false.

2. I never heard of the specific details of Columbus' atrocities in any class (and evidently you haven't either). What I learned about Columbus in school was some bull**** about the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria (and apparantly you've only learned something equally insubstantial with the "in Dios" thing). And maybe some inspecific factoid about his discovery eventually leading to ethnic cleansing.

I didn't learn in school, for instance, about how Columbus, in a fanatic search for gold, decided to force an entire Haitian province to mine gold, killing those who failed to come up with the required amount. Except that there wasn't very much gold there (except for a little bit of gold dust in the streams), so the natives there were totally massacred.

And Columbus is not necessarily vilified in society. Columbus Day is a national holiday, mind you. It's just a handful of PC lefitsts who raise any objections to that sort of thing.
                    But Ramo, according to adherents of anachronistic historiography, we are villifying Columbus by looking at such facts, such as Columbus enslaving the population of Hispaniola in gold mining.

To realize that atrocities were committed by all ethnic and racial groups is not to villify white people as one-dimensional villains.
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                      To realize that atrocities were committed by all ethnic and racial groups is not to villify white people as one-dimensional villains.
                      No, but talk of Indian attrocities is usually meant to excuse attrocities by the European invaders. "Ah well, the Aztecs were scarificing tens of thousands of people, so our genocide of millions of Indians is really not out of the ordinary." It is possible that the Spanish killed on Hispaniola alone more people than the Aztecs ever sacrificed.

There's a saying, don't be so open-minded that yuor brain falls out of the hole in your head. Keep some perspective and realize that while the Indians were ordinary human beings, and perfectly capable of committing murder and doing nasty things to people, the genocide of the Amerindians was on a scale unprecidented in the history of the Americas.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I agree, Chegitz -- but let's also look at how many Amerindian leaders saw early white settlers as a new people to use in their struggle for power with other Amerindian groups.

Let's also remember that there were Cherokee slave-owners of blacks.

And let's not forget . . . . .

well you get the idea -- exploiting other humans is inherent in all cultural groups, in all parts of the world.

So to include whites as one of those groups who did their share of massacres, enslavements, and so on, is more accurate, as long as we do not exlusively focus on white people as evil.

Comment

boo-hoo-hoo
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

i'm with sloww
                            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

No, you're just slow.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                                boo-hoo-hoo
                                Whoa -- I'm impressed with your intelligent contributions to this discussion.

Comment

Working...
                                X