Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rich versus poor in American justice system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    What, you expect the government to hire Johnny Cochran for every defendant?

Let them.

(\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

That's a "natural" problem in a fully party-run criminal trial that is not based on material truth. Simplified, what is not introduced or raised by one party doesn't exist for the outcome. The judge has no correcting function.

This works if both parties are equal. When they are not, there is little saving a poor defendant from a prosecution that wants to win at all cost.

But for most people, trial by jury has been replaced with trial by plea bargain anyway.
      “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

communism is the only way.

all hail communism!

Comment

Originally posted by HershOstropoler
          This works if both parties are equal. When they are not, there is little saving a poor defendant from a prosecution that wants to win at all cost.
          I thought either side can bring up evidence as long as it is ruled admissible by the judge?
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Sure they can bring it up, but how do you get it? If you have it, will your overworked counsel present it properly (or not at all)? And how much chance do you stand against a prosecution that throws enough resources at you?

Maybe two years ago, there was a big fat scandal about DNA labs. If they simply produce the required evidence, you have to be lucky enough to have other (cheap) evidence, like an Alibi.
            “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

So we are back to a resources problem, as GePap contended previously.

This, too, is applicable wrt defendents with deep pockets, such as Microsoft.

Comment

But in those anti-trust civil cases, the prosecution has just as great pockets .

I assume we are talking mostly criminal cases here, since there is where this issue really matters. The poor don't get sued much in civil cases, because, obviously, they don't have the money to pay the judgments.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The real crime is that over half of the court cases in a year are on victimless crimes, and drug violators who pose no threat to society if those crimes were legalized. All of the public defendants have way to much work and dont give a crap about the defending people who maybe have commited real crimes.
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

And the poor don't sue either, cause they will end up with the costs, even when they win.

Comment

Originally posted by HershOstropoler
                      And the poor don't sue either, cause they will end up with the costs, even when they win.
                      Ah, yes... good point.

Unless it's a class action. Or some lawyer feels some social need and will just take a % of the claim, if they win.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Increase the pay for the state defenders. If they are better paid, then more lawyers would be willing to do this job.

Or find ways of incentives to reward those who do better as a public defender.

No need to force eeveryone to have a public defender, which simply necourages mediorcacy.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                        X