No announcement yet.

Let us cut the crap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn you boy! haven't you learned anything here in Poly! You disgrace the alma mater!
    Off with your head!
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• well, since i haven't graduated, i can just say that it's because i haven't been properly educated as a third or fourth year.
      B♭3

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
        "Organism that lives on or in an organism of a different species and obtains nutrients from it ."(B79 - associated terms)"

I don't know what site your definition of 'parasite' comes from, but here's what Merriam-Webster's has:

Main Entry: par·a·site
        Pronunciation: 'par-&-"sIt
        Function: noun
        Etymology: Middle French, from Latin parasitus, from Greek parasitos, from para- + sitos grain, food
        Date: 1539
        1 : a person who exploits the hospitality of the rich and earns welcome by flattery
        2 : an organism living in, with, or on another organism in parasitism
        3 : something that resembles a biological parasite in dependence on something else for existence or support without making a useful or adequate return
        - par·a·sit·ic /"par-&-'si-tik/ also par·a·sit·i·cal /-ti-k&l/ adjective
        - par·a·sit·i·cal·ly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb
        synonyms PARASITE, SYCOPHANT, TOADY, LEECH, SPONGE mean a usually obsequious flatterer or self-seeker. PARASITE applies to one who clings to a person of wealth, power, or influence or is useless to society <a jet-setter with an entourage of parasites>. SYCOPHANT adds to this a strong suggestion of fawning, flattery, or adulation <a powerful prince surrounded by sycophants>. TOADY emphasizes the servility and snobbery of the self-seeker <cultivated leaders of society and became their toady>. LEECH stresses persistence in clinging to or bleeding another for one's own advantage <a leech living off his family and friends>. SPONGE stresses the parasitic laziness, dependence, and opportunism of the cadger <a shiftless sponge, always looking for a handout>.

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
        Now, I ask if the unborn child is not human, than what is it? A dog, a cat or what? It must have some species. If the unborn child is human, it cannot be a parasite by virtue of being of the same species.
        Only by the rigidly narrow definition you provided does species become involved. I would argue strongly that species has nothing to do with it.

Secondly, what gives the woman the right to do what she wants with her own body? Isn't she just the chattel of the male and a part of his property? You dismiss moral concerns so blithely yet you fail to admit that all your arguments make similar moral assumptions.
        I can't believe you wrote this. I still can't stop laughing!!

Edit: fixed broken code
        Last edited by Urban Ranger; November 11, 2003, 02:41.
        -30-

Comment

• fetuses, zygotes, and anything that feeds off of your precious bodily fluids... they are parasites. after all, they do sap and impurify the essences of women by introducing different blood proteins and other such diabolical chemicals.

they're almost as bad as flouridation, ben. it's a vast plot to destroy our purity of essence.

i first became aware of this during the physical act of love...
          B♭3

Comment

• Only by the rigidly narrow definition you provided does species become involved. I would argue strongly that species has nothing to do with it.
            Then we have to eliminate all the sponges in society, all those who are on welfare who do not contribute. The 'rigidly narrow' definition is the one used by biologists, and hence much less problematic than the wider definition.

I can't believe you wrote this. I still can't stop laughing!!
            Point's still there. We're all making moral assumptions, even you.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Point. But I'm still laughing.
              -30-

Comment

Then I suggest you re-read the laws. The people did not vote on the law, but 1 justice ruled in favour of Roe. That's the whole point we have just been discussing, that the people need to have a say, and just letting the justices pontificate, will not represent the people.
                I never said the people voted on the law, what's your point? I said: 1)it IS the law, and 2)the majority of people tolerate it, as in a sufficient number of the eligible voters of the U.S. have not bickered loud enough for politicians to enact legislation to outlaw abortion. Clear enough for you?

Bob'n'weave. If it is not in the constitution, than why should we permit abortions?

It's not in the constitution to allow individuals to own a house, or a cat, or a car. Or throw away trash. So you need to get rid of all these things ASAP, but without throwing them away. Good luck.

But aren't we exporting abortion services around the world? If everyone has an abortion, that's it for all of us.

There's plenty of leftovers to continue the world population. Plus abortion didn't start in the U.S. or Canada. It's been around for thousands of years. So no exporting.

WRT to the tribune article, I ask again, how do you know whether the unborn child that you are giving a death sentence will or will not be a criminal?

You'll have to read the article yourself since the researchers are the ones to answer that. I ain't paying money to find out.
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

First you need a better definition of sentient, then recognition of self in a mirror.
                  You can't be sentient unless you are self-aware, which means you recognise yourself in a mirror.

Secondly, even when one is not looking in a mirror, you are still sentient. It's like being a lawyer. You do not stop being a lawyer even when you are not currently functioning as a lawyer. The same is with sentience. The unborn child may not currently be sentient, but has the capacity to attain sentience, from the genetic code instructions obtained at conception.
                  I am not sure whether you are confused or are confusing, but there are several issues here all mingled together.

1. I am not sentient because I look in a mirror. Looking in a mirror and recognising myself is a characteristic of sentience, not the other way around.

2. Being a lawyer is not an intrisic attribute. A lawyer can stop being one at any time.

3. A being is either sentient or not. Saying that it has the capacity is not an argument. If I use your logic, murder should be legal, because we will all die.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                  X