Who is worse? (immoral VS. amoral)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is worse? (immoral VS. amoral)

In another debate with the same friend the issue of who was worse, a nazi who took orders to kill someone even though they might not agree with it, or an al queda member that flew into the world trade center and thought what they were doing was right and for the greater good.

i argued the man who had a choice and new right from wrong was and chose evil was far worse than the man that didnt have a sense of morality.

anyway what do you think
    Immoral
    47.62%
    Ammoral
    9.52%
    Banamoral
    42.86%

The poll is expired.

"I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

I'll take stupid grunts over self-righteous commandos any day.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Both are evil
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Let God sort 'em out.
        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
          Let God sort 'em out.
          Ja.
          "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

To me, immorality is something immature, because I define it as a simple-minded systematic opposition to an established order. The moral frame of the immoral person remains the morality it opposes --> he hasn't developed his own bearings.

Notice that the Al Qaeda guys aren't necessarily immoral. They do follow a sort of morality (the Al-Qaeda morality) in which was they did is the most heroic of acts.

I define amorality as the willingness to live according to moral bearings (or lack thereof) that have been developed individually, and that are not shared by the mainstream society. For example, when I'm saying that I don't see anything wrong of having different sexual partners even during marriage, I am amoral.
            Amorality is much less predictable than immorality. However, amorality isn't bound to be evil, and immorality is bould to being stupid more than anything else (according to my definitions).

But amorality, like morality, can potentially bear great evils.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

So are you [MRT144] saying that the 9-11 hijackers were amoral--neither moral nor immoral? They certainly had a sense of morality, although one that is quite at odds with what most of us believe. So wouldn't they be immoral from our point of view?

Now a school of piranhas devouring a foolish swimmer would be an example of something amoral.
              "People sit in chairs!" - Bobby Baccalieri

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi

Ja.
                Ladies and gentlemen -- the winner of having the shortest, articulated post in Apolyton history.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

"No one does evil knowingly." Socrates.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                    Let God sort 'em out.
                    Hey! That's my line! Go get your own!
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Tripledoc
                      "No one does evil knowingly." Socrates.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Immoral means you will deliberately try to commit evil acts. Amoral means you will not consider the morality of an act when judging whether or not you should do it. Immorality is obviously worse - you are TRYING to be evil.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

Ladies and gentlemen -- the winner of having the shortest, articulated post in Apolyton history.
                          No.
                          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

Hey! That's my line! Go get your own!
                            I think you got it from (or got it from someone who got it from) 5th Special Forces Group, in 'Nam ca. 1966. Unless they got it from someone else earlier.

Comment

I hold that record in a previous thread.

I say they are both wrong.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                              X