Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rugby World Cup 2003 - The Rugby Widows Weep!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scotland 39 -d- USA 15

I'm sure I've seen more inept rugby, but I can't recall when. An orgy of handling errors, bad tactical decisions and general incompetence from both teams. Not to forget ref Kaplan, who delivered one of his most schoolmasterly efforts throughout, even denying Scotland an advantage, stopping the game while he gave one of the American players a card for an infringement.

Edit. Oh, and another thing! When is either a ref or a linesman going to call a forward pass in this tournament! Tonight's match was, yet again, littered with them!
    Last edited by finbar; October 20, 2003, 09:03.
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Can't look at any of your posts yet. I still have to wait another day to see the England/SA game.

Post replies though, I'll respond to them eventually.

Did any of you see the USA/Fiji game? What a cracker! It was US 6 Fiji 3 at half time. The Fijians had made several great line breaks, but never managed to finish them off. Despite spreading themselves a bit thin on several occasions, the US defence held. Not long into the second half, the US scored a brilliant try. The conversion put them ahead 10 points and they were looking good. Fiji replied with a couple of tries, and the score was suddenly US 13 Fiji 19. Time was running out, and with less than a minute to go, the US scored a try in the corner. Time was up and everything depended on the difficult conversion kick to come. The kick was long and straight, but ended up just missing. The poor guy who missed the kick...he looked like he was gonna cry.
      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Originally posted by finbar
        Well, it depends, as always, on which French team turns up.
        As always...

I'm sure I've seen more inept rugby, but I can't recall when.
        I have resisted 20 minutes before considering I had far better things to do...

Oh, and another thing! When is either a ref or a linesman going to call a forward pass in this tournament! Tonight's match was, yet again, littered with them!
        And I thought such sentence could only come from Havak or I...

Finbar: is the title Pendulum ringing a bell?
        Last edited by Tamerlin; October 20, 2003, 12:35.
        "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin
          And I thought such sentence could only come from Havak or I...
          I've always opposed this modern penchant for allowing forward passes!

Finbar: is the title Pendulum ringing a bell?
          Try another word! Pendulum is meaningless in this context! Your Petit Orphys has let you down this time! I can only assume you're trying to make some cheap point about me coming around to your point of view. If so, please confirm this. If not, please advise me what point you were trying to make. Either way, I shall happily supply you with the appropriate colloquialism!

" ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia
            I still have to wait another day to see the England/SA game.
            Is any further proof needed that America is a backward country?

Did any of you see the USA/Fiji game? What a cracker!
            Yes, good game. Pity the USA weren't as effective against Scotland last night. I think the need to back up again with the same intensity found them out. Which is fair enough, they're not used to this sort of rapid turnaround.

guy who missed the kick...he looked like he was gonna cry.
            Learned his rugby in the Sydney club competition, too!

Comment

Try another word! Pendulum is meaningless in this context! Your Petit Orphys has let you down this time! I can only assume you're trying to make some cheap point about me coming around to your point of view. If so, please confirm this. If not, please advise me what point you were trying to make. Either way, I shall happily supply you with the appropriate colloquialism!

I was trying to know if you would remember the band that has recorded this album, I was nor citing a colloquialism nor pretending you are changing your mind easily... "espèce de soupe au lait!" (<-- that IS a colloquialism).

"Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Yeah, sure! Pull the other one, it plays Jingle Bells! (Now there's a colloquialism for you!) I caught you out trying to have cheap shot at me and you're trying to wriggle out of it!

The only album called Pendulum that springs to mind was recorded by Creedence Clearwater Revival. There have probably been several albums called the same thing since, but since there hasn't been any decent music since the late '60s/early 70s, they don't count!

Comment

Yeah, sure! Pull the other one, it plays Jingle Bells! (Now there's a colloquialism for you!) I caught you out trying to have cheap shot at me and you're trying to wriggle out of it!

Trying to have a cheap shot at you... not at all!

I swear your honor...

Spit!

Ding!

The only album called Pendulum that springs to mind was recorded by Creedence Clearwater Revival. There have probably been several albums called the same thing since, but since there hasn't been any decent music since the late '60s/early 70s, they don't count!

You are right! I have the vinyl and I have tried to find the CD version of this record for many years. I have found the CD yesterday, hence the little quizz... "petit soupe au lait!"

Pagan Baby, Chameleon and Born to move are real gems...

What is really funny is that I found this record many many years ago among the vinyls owned by my parents who have never listened at rock music nor understood anything about it... I guess they bought it because there was an orange sticker (it is still on the sleeve) saying number one in the world.

Comment

Cleverly I managed to miss Scotland-USA last night.
                    Midnight to 2 is just a bit late and I forgot to tape it.

Anyone have predictions for Italy-Canada (before this degenerates into a new rendition of Fiera's 60's thread. )? I haven't seen the Azzurri in action yet.

[Edit: Can't spell Azzurri. ]

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon
                      Cleverly I managed to miss Scotland-USA last night.
                      Midnight to 2 is just a bit late and I forgot to tape it.
                      Believe me you have missed nothing, one of the poorest game I have seen for years...

Anyone have predictions for Italy-Canada (before this degenerates into a new rendition of Fiera's 60's thread. )? I haven't seen the Azuri in action yet.
                      Italy 25 - Canada 13

Comment

I just hope its another close game.
                        There have been far too many one-sided matches so far for my taste. Maybe they'll change the qualifying-pool system to a random draw next time?

Italy 25 - Canada 13

Doesn't sound like a bad guess actually (what with it being about 0430 in the AM over there I suppose? ). A few places I've seen have the Italians pegged at a win by 10 pts or so.
                        I just have to try and figure out who to support - its more of a problem without an SH team playing.

Comment

I just hope its another close game.
                          There have been far too many one-sided matches so far for my taste. Maybe they'll change the qualifying-pool system to a random draw next time?
                          The one way games are not very interesting though the sods at France Télévision, the TV channel who has bought the rights of the WC in France, are only broacasting the games of the major nations or of the future opponents of France. It means almost no games outside of the week-end.

A random draw would not be interesting IMO, the major nations should meet later in the competition.

Doesn't sound like a bad guess actually (what with it being about 0430 in the AM over there I suppose? ). A few places I've seen have the Italians pegged at a win by 10 pts or so.
                          Is it so late?

The Italians are not very good when they are compared to the major nations but they are still better than the Canadians who's backs are rather weak.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin

Believe me you have missed nothing, one of the poorest game I have seen for years...
                            It was 3rd grade club standard. Even Townsend was fumbling easy balls in the end.

Comment

Anyone have predictions for Italy-Canada (before this degenerates into a new rendition of Fiera's 60's thread. )?
                              There are worse fates!

Italy by 25.

[Edit: Can't spell Azzurri. ]

Comment

It wouldn't change a thing. The top teams would still slaughter the minnows and still have good contests with each other.

I just have to try and figure out who to support

Cazzo!

Comment

Working...
                                X