Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rugby World Cup 2003 - The Rugby Widows Weep!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andydog

How does someone, in a matter of weeks, go from such quotes as these about South Africa:

To quotes such as these:

Just quietly, it sounds like someone's starting to sh!t himself and might be realising his previous quotes are going to bite him fair and square in the arse! Stephen Jones's last thread of journalistic integrity… meet toilet… I'm sure you'll make a wonderful couple!
    I hadn't seen the earlier article you quote. They are somewhat at odds!

I just wish he would master the basics of grammar!
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin
      Buy a real PC!
      If you can sleep at night after further lining the pockets of Bill Gates - the title of Tarantino's new film sums things up pretty well - then you should be ashamed of yourself!
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
        Is there an attack of Tamerlinitis around here? The thread is already full of ...
        Yep. He's the internet equivalent of the E-bola virus!

Now let's talk about serious business for a change. I have to let you know that my team has beaten the team of the France Champions. I mean I, as a player, bet the Stade Francais.

Of course, it was not the team that plays in first division, but the folklo team, that's to say a vet team, but anyway, I've got bits of skin missing on my thigh, so I thought I could boast a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Havak
          Well Stephen Jones writes what he thinks the Times readers will lap up in the prevailing climate - treat it wth a pinch of salt.
          The Times' complete and utter disregard for grammar obviously coincided with the arrival of Murdoch in the proprietor's chair!

Finbar - I took the day off and forgot to mention it -
          Yes, I thought you'd probably take the day off to watch the ABs fumble their way to victory against Canada.

In the meantime good luck England!

The thoughts of the georgia coach bother me as much as a pub running out of lager - Neil Back is innocent I tell you, innocent, and our line out totally legal.

That just about covers it?
          No, you forgot a burst of that infamous dirge ...

Oh, hang on ...

Swing low, Sweet Chariots...
          You didn't forget!

Comment

Well, I've just gotten back from a little jaunt downtown.
            I have to say there are a bloody awful lot of Bok supporters around. Several hundred at least and in a fairly small area to boot.
            Add to that a grand total of two, yes, count em, two, English lads. I suppose there could've been a few more but if so they were in mufti and keeping pretty quiet about it.
            That said though I didn't check all of the pubs. That may have evened things up a bit, eh what?
            With a bit of luck bitter will be in short supply for a while hereafter.

I guess this will qualify as the first real contest between major rugby nations?

Comment

Hey all. BTW - Ravagon / Caligastia, I got tickets to the ABs vs Wales!

He He - you can hate the All Blacks but you can't deny they're the coolest team out there. So little emotion after a try - they build them to act and feel like robots in NZ. Seroiusly, some of those tries (even though against Canada) were just too precise. At least they had a fair amount of little errors...

Saw a little segment on the English team the other day - can you blokes believe they've spent 75 million on their team during the past 4 years!! Where do you guys get the money, Havak? It's nearly paid off, yes, but I think if anyone's going to choke . . .
              "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon
                I guess this will qualify as the first real contest between major rugby nations?
                Between major rugby nations, yes - but we've had some good ones already. Japan vs Scotland - now that was a good game, until the very end it seemed like the impossible would happen. America vs Fiji was good too (well what little bloody 7 showed of it ).

You live in Perth, don't you? I wouldn't be surprised at the Bok supporters, that part of OZ is closest to where they spew from.
                "Show me a man or a woman alone and I'll show you a saint. Give me two and they'll fall in love. Give me three and they'll invent the charming thing we call 'society'. Give me four and they'll build a pyramid. Give me five and they'll make one an outcast. Give me six and they'll reinvent prejudice. Give me seven and in seven years they'll reinvent warfare. Man may have been made in the image of God, but human society was made in the image of His opposite number, and is always trying to get back home." - Glen Bateman, The Stand (Stephen King)

Comment

Well, I'm finally up and will see France-Japan.
                  Meanwhile, Australia is busy crunching Romania.

I would contend that Australia-Argentina was a clash of the same level as England-South Africa. I believe the Boks may suffer as much as the Argentinians did, particularly if they lose their nerves and get penalised.
                  Clash of Civilization team member
                  (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                  web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Half time:

France 20 - Japan 16

Some changes in the French team, the players are back to the playing style I have overtly criticize many time in this thread. Slow, things accomplished in the bad order, weak defence, players handling the ball before they have fixed the defender facing them, handling errors...

As I feared it, it looks like the performance against the Fidjians was a one time one.
                    "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

France 51 -d- Japan 29

Okay, France took a step backwards from the Fiji game, but I suspect it's not that easy playing against the Japanese. Their speed and sheer unpredictability must make it a nightmare for more structured teams. The difference for the Japanese this time around, too, is the presence of a couple of the ex-New Zealanders. The big fly half, in particular, is a lynchpin. That said, the French could and should have done much better. The Fiji -v- Japan match should be a ripper - both sides will be running helter skelter from everywhere.

Wallabies 90 -d- Romania 8

Good and bad from the Wallabies. Good to see the backline finally getting its opportunity. Good to see Matt Giteau getting at least half a game at halfback to show what he can do. Good to see some strong scrummaging. But the mistakes, mainly in the first half - the handling errors, the dreadful absence of forwards at the breakdown - will cost the team dearly against better opposition than the Romanians. Still, if nothing else, this should give the Wallabies confidence.

Comment

The French have been really bad. Magne has had his usual lot of 'what am I doing the field?' actions, Rougerie has been pitiful in defense (though he did score tries but still...), and Traille played far below his usual level. The forwards tended to lose the ball on tackles, resulting in too many scrums.

Now England - South Africa is being played.
                        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Half time:
                          England 6 - 6 South Africa
                          Undecided, but I think that Bracken is one tone below Van der Vesthuisen and this may be a problem for the English. Koens missed many penalties, the English forwards seemed to struggle more than the Boks, including in scrum (the Bok loose head seems good - Havak, what do you think?), but Robinson has been the most impressive back.

Comment

Great match. I particularly enjoyed the tackle by Wilkinson when the Boks had played a penalty and tried to ram into him.
                            I hate Joost Van der Westhuisen. When I say he plays better than Bracken, he starts knocking the ball forward and making poor choices. I already dislike the man, now if he makes me look like I don't know what I say ...

Oh, and I thought we should let Havak tell everyone the score.

Comment

We'll have to wait for Havak's strong dose of Valium to wear off!

England 25 -d- Springboks 6

England's fitness and Wilkinson's boot won 'em the match. It was really a question of how long the Springboks could keep up the astonishing pressure. They had to tire, and they did. Pity Koen couldn't kick straight and they butchered that try by kicking instead of passing. I also suspect it's a very long time since England's pack - and their forwards in general - have been under so much pressure. I suspect it's an even longer time since a Test player has forgotten to ground the ball in-goal before flicking it forward to a team mate. Drinks are on you, Mr Greenwood!

I think you're right about Bracken, LDiCesares. He's not up to the same class as the players around him. His talent seems to be harassing the opposing halfback rather than doing what good halfbacks do.

The Springboks' effort didn't surprise me. It's pretty much how they played against the All Blacks in the return Tri-Nations match when they went down narrowly - incredible pressure, tremendous defence. Unfortunately, they're not as strong in attacking options.

Great game, though. Best of the tournament so far, I thought. And, best of all, played in very good spirit. The Boks left their unpleasant habits in the dressing sheds.

Comment

Just finished watching England-Sth Africa.Both teams seem to have this wonderful ability to not score tries.Wilkinson has a wonderful boot but seven pointers are a lot harder to pull back than penalties.Neither team comes close to the AB's in their ability to move the ball wide quickly-could be a major problem if the AB's cut down on their mistakes.

Comment

Working...
                                X