Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rugby World Cup 2003 - The Rugby Widows Weep!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kiwiman, I disagree. England is able to send the ball wide, but the boks pressed them hard on so they decided to get the drop goals instead. Tactically, it was very clever from Wilkinson. And it remains to be seen if the ABs could pass the ball wide under the pressure of an English pack. Moody didn't counter Koen by chance.

I'd like to say, also, that the most impressive fly half I have seen yet is Miller, the Japanese kiwi. This guy is really a threat. I am not sure if I'll be able to see Japan-Fiji and Japan-USA but watching the Japanese play is a real pleasure.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

I think tries were always going to be rare things under the pressure that was being exerted tonight. England is usually perfectly capable of scoring tries. The Springboks less so. I have to agree with LDiCesares that Wilkinson's kicking - especially the drop goals - was tactically spot on under the circumstances.

It's also worth thinking back to the last Tri Nations match between the Boks and the ABs. It was very close, and the ABs didn't go on any sort of try rampage in the face of the Boks' defence and pressure. The Boks are masters at it when they choose to be.

Edit. I love watching the Japanese play too. And the halfback fits into their game beautifully.
      Last edited by finbar; October 18, 2003, 10:38.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I agree with LDiCesare, the English players were under a great pressure from the Boks' defence. The South Africans have used the good tactic to counter the English team but they don't have the players that can make the difference and produce the spark that can put the opponent's defence on fire. The Springboks halves are very classical (read: dull) and look like they are lacking some imagination and even some skill. About the English, Dawson is IMO far better than Bracken who's choices I have sometimes found a bit curious.

Curiously enough, and this is really funny when you think about it, the inability of the SH referees to rule the scrums, rucks and mauls properly has backfired on the South Africans especially in the second half when the Boks were dominating the English forwards in the static phases. If the laws had been applied properly, the English pack would have been penalized more often... but I suppose that refereeing the scrums adequately is too demanding a task for a SH referee...

Last edited by Tamerlin; October 18, 2003, 19:26.
        "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Listen, you, worry a bit more about the French performance against the Japanese than about the SH refs!

Oh, and I found Neil Back a bit wanting last night. Did anyone else?
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by finbar
            Listen, you, worry a bit more about the French performance against the Japanese than about the SH refs!
            I am already worrying too much for the Stade Toulousain in the French Championship, the team has struggled against the Association Sportive Béziers Hérault this afternoon at the Stade Ernest Wallon to win 28-27 after 7 minutes of additional time and a (very) poor performance.

What is remaining of the Stade Toulousain (half of the regular team is currently in Australia for an obscure purpose while some of the regular players are wounded) already lost last week-end away from home against the newly promoted Montpellier who scored more than 50 points.

Given that I am also worrying for the French team since at least one year you can easily understand that I don't have enough "Worries" in stock for the poor performance of the French team against Japan.

Oh, and I found Neil Back a bit wanting last night. Did anyone else?
            No!
            "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Double Post!

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin
                What is remaining of the Stade Toulousain (half of the regular team is currently in Australia for an obscure purpose while some of the regular players are wounded) already lost last week-end away from home against the newly promoted Montpellier who scored more than 50 points.
                You can take Mlle Labit back home, for starters! He looks and plays like a pimp!

Given that I am also worrying for the French team since at least one year you can easily understand that I don't have enough "Worries" in stock for the poor performance of the French team against Japan.
                You knew what was coming! You should have stockpiled "worries" along with your s!

No!
                You're obviously over-tired and not thinking straight! Go to bed!

Oh, but Havak will be pleased to know that, in commentary last night, John Eales gave Neil Back's maul-involvement a tick.

Comment

You can take Mlle Labit back home, for starters! He looks and plays like a pimp!
                  They have all played like pimps.

You knew what was coming! You should have stockpiled "worries" along with your s!
                  I hesitated between "worries" and "sorrow" and could not make up my mind before the ordering time limit was reached.

You're obviously over-tired and not thinking straight! Go to bed!
                  Northern Hemisphere 25 - Southern Hemisphere 6

(major teams only)

I have slept like a baby...

Oh, but Havak will be pleased to know that, in commentary last night, John Eales gave Neil Back's maul-involvement a tick.

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin

They have all played like pimps.

I hesitated between "worries" and "sorrow" and could not make up my mind before the ordering time limit was reached.

Wales 27 -d- Tonga 20

Tonga could - and probably should - have won. Gee, Welsh rugby is looking pretty ordinary.

Ireland 64 -d- Namibia 7

Good effort by the Irish in very wet conditions here in Sydney. And I wasted water on the garden today! The Irish had an ordinary third 20 minutes, but finished it off well.

Do I have the strength to sit through Georgia -v- Samoa?

Comment

The Valium is wearing off - but as the alcohol hasn't yet. The Bok front row was surprisngly good including Sepaka, and I think we saw the same team that visited Dunedin in terms of how they approached the game. Not one inch were they going to give up even if they did lack in pnentration going forward.

The money comes from sponsorship and TV but the RFU is not currently breaking even. I'm sure I've missed other poitns so I'll have to catch up tomorrow.

I have to be happy we got through that - but I don't know if my heart can take it very often!

As for England - we have much to work on and need to improve considerably if all that cash is to have been well spent!
                      It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by Havak
                        As for England - we have much to work on and need to improve considerably if all that cash is to have been well spent!
                        You could always look on the bright side. There isn't another team in the tournament as physically powerful as the Boks and capable of applying that power as constantly as the Boks can. Just think yourself lucky they're nowhere near as powerful in attack.

Comment

Ireland 64 -d- Namibia 7

Good effort by the Irish in very wet conditions here in Sydney. And I wasted water on the garden today! The Irish had an ordinary third 20 minutes, but finished it off well.

Do I have the strength to sit through Georgia -v- Samoa?
                          Hi!

We are missing Geordan and the choice at 10 is worrying to me.

We are playing to a pattern that suits Humphrey, with the flat lines, but if he plays we miss O' Gara's place kicking.
                          If O'Gara plays ................

At the level that the knockout phase will be at, it just cannnot work with the current tactics.

So, what do we do?

Drop the placekicker, and if Humps misses the big kick .........?
                          Drop Humps, and we have to change tactics as O' Gara cannot play to the backline tactics at the highest level, not, IMVHO, because he is a poor player but, because he likes to sit deep and we play better flat.

Comment

Good points, well made. Presumably they will use Humphreys against the Pumas. Gee, that big winger's a handy player, too.

Comment

I think that Humps will play. He sets our backline better, It is a bit of a sore point with my mates at home at how the Ulster boys are viewed.

The big fecker is a talented player, but a third centre, in my opinion, not a natural finisher.

I don't mind that, it works, BUT, you have really hit the point , Geordan or Rob Henderson would give that bit of flair and the , mainly natural, uncoachable, ability to break a game.
                              I think we will have a bit too much for the Pumas, but will lose to Aus. .
                              We are, however,capable of beating France and then?
                              We have been the quiet team so far and other than the extra week break by having to play Scotland, our group is very neutral for the playofffs.
                              We cannot win it, but, on our day, we can stop another team that could.

Comment

Originally posted by flipside
                                The big fecker is a talented player, but a third centre, in my opinion, not a natural finisher.
                                This is the most I've seen of him and I think you're right. Very strong midfield.

I think we will have a bit too much for the Pumas, but will lose to Aus.
                                Unless the Pumas suddenly develop a game beyond their forwards, you should win well. I think you -v- us is the other great pool match after England -v- Springboks. I suspect it's going to depend on the mindsets. You rolled us up there last year playing a very specifically targeted game, one to which, I reckon, we're still vulnerable. We shall see.

We are, however,capable of beating France and then?
                                Well, it depends, as always, on which French team turns up.

Comment

Working...
                                X