Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holy Mackerel! (Another Canadian Political Thread... Sorry.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Mackerel! (Another Canadian Political Thread... Sorry.)

Deal struck to unite-the-right
    Last Updated Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:35:48
    OTTAWA - There's been a history-making breakthrough in the talks to unite-the-right. The leaders of the Progressive Conservatives and the Canadian Alliance have reached an agreement in principle to merge their parties.

INDEPTH: Uniting the Right

Conservative Leader Peter MacKay and Canadian Alliance Stephen Harper have struck an agreement in principle and are meeting to work out the final details.
    They will make the announcement, officially, on Thursday. A news conference has been scheduled for 9 a.m. ET in the National Press Theatre in Ottawa. The event will be carried live on CBC Newsworld.

The two parties will be given until Dec. 12, to ratify the historic deal. Then a vote would be held on March 21 to select the leader of what would then be called 'The Conservative party.'

Stephen Harper

The deal comes after weeks of negotiations. Now a stunning breakthrough and the merger deal had been reached.

When reporters caught up with Harper at the airport in Calgary he said he was hurrying back to Ottawa "for business that is important and, dare I hope, historic."

"Let's not look at it as 'us versus the Tories' in what's coming together. It's 'us getting together with the Tories in one party,' making sure we work together," said Harper.

MacKay rushed back to Ottawa from Nova Scotia on crutches after hurting himself playing rugby on the weekend.

"Clearly negotiations have reached a point where we may have something in principle to give Canadians a choice in the next election, not the one after that, or the one after that," said MacKay.

The merger will have to be ratified by Dec. 12. For each party that means approval by the caucus, by the executive and by the general membership, something that could challenge the Conservatives, since such a change would need to be approved by two-thirds of the members.

Just how many party members, such as former leadership candidate David Orchard, are hostile to the idea is unknown. The Tory caucus has also been divided, but reluctant MP Elsie Wayne now says the Canadian Alliance has in essence agreed to rejoin the Conservatives. "They have agreed to everything including how to chose a leader in which every one of our ridings would be treated equally," she said.

Others are also trumpeting the merger. "The main thing that we're seeing is a lot of federal Tories who have been sitting on the fence. We're ready to be re-engaged," said Tory organizer Kevin Gallagher.

"There is enthusisasm, there is an exictement that now we're putting ourselves in a position to become a viable alternative to the Liberals," said CA strategist Tim Powers.

The leader of the merged party would be chosen on March 21, adopting the method used by the Conservatives in 1998, giving equal weight to ridings.

Potential leadership candidates are already lining up: former Ontario Premier Mike Harris is interested, and two former Tory leadership candidates, Scott Brison and Jim Prentice are not ruling out a bid.

Well, that's something.

Still, if they don't pick a leader 'til March 21... Will that give them enough time to prepare for Martin's expected election?
    "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
    "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
    "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Well, I'm interested to see how they work out their respective policy differences.

And I believe I posted a thread like this several weeks ago.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

A glimmer of hope in a sea of one party rule...

We'll see.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

History repeats itself:

But the Liberals will always dominate. They have no ideology: they just steal everybody else's good ideas.

Comment

Although they lost popularity in subsequent elections, they continued to elect members until 1935, when the CCF emerged to take over the Progressives' base of support.

So the PC = the progressive party and the CCF = Reform/Alliance?

The remaining Progressives merged with the Conservative party in 1942 to create the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada.
          :hmm: It only took them 7 years. The Alliance has existed for longer than the CCF.

Conservative Alliance party anyone?
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Ahhh... no.

The Progressives were, like the CCF, a prairie protest party in the beginning.

During the deepening depression, many in the West turned to the promise of social justice as told by Tommy Douglas. One ideology supplanted another in some quarters.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

One wonders what this new party's policy on homosexuality will be? I can't imagine there'd be much solidarity here...

Furthermore, is there a place for Red Tories in this new, probably-gonna-lean-further-right Conservative party?
              "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
              "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine

Comment

Well, the conservatives had both Brison and Elsie Wayne in the party, and were split on the Alliance motion on traditional marriage.

I'd expect to see both sides embrace traditional marriage just because the Tories don't have a clear policy.

But we shall see.
                Last edited by Ben Kenobi; October 16, 2003, 13:34.

Comment

I wouldn't be caught dead voting for the CA.

Looks like I'll have to abstain from the next election and move to Rwanda.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

What's wrong with voting for the NDP?

In Alberta?

Comment

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Anything is better than the current 1 party - Liberal dictatorship.
                        What?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                          What's wrong with voting for the NDP?

In Alberta?
                          The funny thing about this:

Alberta NDP Provincial leader Brian Mason is actually starting to sound like the most fiscally conservative politician in the province. He's always going on about the Tories wasting taxpayer money, with misplaced spending and so forth.

Even our Commies are conservative!

Comment

Our provincial NDP is the most fiscally conservative party in the province.
                            Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                              I wouldn't be caught dead voting for the CA.

Looks like I'll have to abstain from the next election and move to Rwanda.
                              We'll have to see who wins the battle for the soul of the new party. People like Clark, and those who support him are not going to give up.

From the sounds of it, many socially conservative CA supporters are not too happy with these developments. I take that as a good sign.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                              X