Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Laptop Thread (ThinkPads with Accelerometers, G4 PowerBook)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IBM X31 Suckiness

This machine was recommended by my company's IT dept. It's basically a T40 in a 12" screen setup, Centrino powered, identical software load, etc. Two USB 2.0 ports, a Firewire port, Wi-Fi. Very slender and compact, just 3.5 pounds, seemingly everything you would want. As you'd expect, no room for a touchpad or calc keypad, but so what.

The problem is that this beautiful little machine does not include enough space for the CD-RW/DVD drive I need (despite IBM and CDW online suggestions to the contrary). But nnnooooooo... The drive has to be housed in a separate base unit that doubles the height of the machine and adds 2 full pounds to its heft.

OK, so it's not quite so light and compact as I'd hoped, but the footprint's the same and I'm manly enough to carry 5.5 pounds around. So despite the inconvenience of the disc drive, I decided to get it anyway.

But here's the kicker, the thing that put me over the edge.

Most of my PC work is in the office. To use a laptop there, we employ a separate monitor and keyboard. To avoid plugging/unplugging all the connections (T1, mouse, monitor, keyboard, and power) every time you take it home (which is, of course, the whole point of having a laptop), it snaps into a docking station housing all those connections.

When you do that with the (X31 + disc drive base), it turns out that, again, YOU DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO THE CD DRIVE!!!!! Instead, you have to physically remove the drive from the base unit and slot it into a port on the docking station.

AAAAARRRRGGGHH!!!!!!!!

Thus, IBM requires a corporate X31 user to constantly change connections, or to constantly remove and replace the disc drive. All that physical change inevitably means that the mechanics will wear prematurely. Pin connections, drive slot, whatever -- something will go before its time.

The whole point of laptops is portability and convenience. The design of the X31 dictates little of the former, and even less of the latter.

So I gave it back to IT and told them to get me a T40. It's not that much bigger and makes none of the mechanical compromises of the X31. It's faster. Same battery life. It's even lighter than the (X31 + stupid baseplate drive). Plus you get a bigger screen and a touchpad.

I hope to have it by end of week...
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Dang, that sucks. Good thing you can change to a T40 now.

Comment

Yeah, I'd hate to make this mistake on my own dime. Still, it's frustrating. I know the T40 is in stock, and yet my replacement unit has not shown up after a week.

Unfortunately, making this ill-fated recommendation was a very public misstep for our IT group, and I think they're PO'd about it. The delay seems to indicate that they may be taking out their frustration on me.

(sigh)
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Is a T40 really all that good???

14" with XGA and Radeon Mobility 7500 seem quite outdated to me.
          Whats with HP nx7000 ? They have good specs and arent too expensive.
          Or everyone I know is praising Acer's Travelmate 800 Series. What about them?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

This is all made up! None of it is real...
            Some of it is made up. For example, the guy in your last post could take it back and have it repaired for free or get a new unit - again for free.

What's also made up is the implication that this is a problem with all the powerbooks. It isn't - it's affected a few people. I should know, when there is a real problem with an Apple product you get a lot more complaints than I've seen around.

But hell, when you can exaggerate, why not?

It's a worldwide conspiracy against Apple!
            No, it's an inadequate loser from Calgary who feels the need to bend the truth. You've been caught out in numerous lies now.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Agathon, people are driven by believes and they believe what they want to believe and if Asher believes what he believes is what he wants to believe then actually this is quite normal

Believe it or not!!

Comment

It's in the air...the smell of shameless self promotion
                Last days have been really smelly here at OT with Slowwhands thread et all. I think it has something to do with the general arrival of autoumn blue and colder weather. Anywway I thought joining the club aussi. So consider these pictures 100% pure shameless self-promotion and ego tripping

desktop

some pictures taken with my phone

listening to music enjoying the visualisations
                enjoying the train ride
                in hotel lobby
                in hotel lobby lid closed
                on my desk couple minutes ago
                on my desk couple minutes ago lid closed
                Last edited by laurentius; October 9, 2003, 12:31.
                Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Shame on you people, for badmouthing eachother because of computers. Shame on you.
                  urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa
                    It doesn't matter when you're in the thrall of a corporate IT dept. They will only support a few laptop models, and our CEO likes his thinkpad, so we're pretty much IBM-centric here.

Mind, the just-approved T40 is a huge upgrade from the 4-year old Toshiba laptops most folks here are saddled with. I never came close to convincing them to get something even remotely sexy. When I suggested Vaio, they just rolled their eyes.

So the T40 looks pretty good to me.

BTW, laurentius -- I like that desktop screen.

Comment

Agathon, people are driven by believes and they believe what they want to believe and if Asher believes what he believes is what he wants to believe then actually this is quite normal

Believe it or not!!
                      Not everyone is like this. Part of the value of discussion is that people can learn things from each other. This requires a basic honesty on the part of the discussants. I don't see the point of it if some people are deliberately going to lie or play fast with the facts to score points.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Not everyone is like this. Part of the value of discussion is that people can learn things from each other. This requires a basic honesty on the part of the discussants. I don't see the point of it if some people are deliberately going to lie or play fast with the facts to score points.

Well said.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

14" with XGA and Radeon Mobility 7500 seem quite outdated to me.
                          That's only one of the models.

You can get a 1400x1154 screen with a Radeon Mobility 9000 as well, and the line is going to be updated again once the new Dothan Centrinos come out.

It's not meant to be a powerhouse, nor a gaming laptop. It's meant to be a sturdy, reliable, fast, and long-lasting laptop in a small package.

It's actually a business-class notebook.
                          Last edited by Asher; October 10, 2003, 00:36.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                            Some of it is made up. For example, the guy in your last post could take it back and have it repaired for free or get a new unit - again for free.
                            Did you intentionally miss the part of the post where he mentions that's precisely what he was going to do the next day, or are your reading comprehension skills not up to par?

Further, how does this make him a liar?

As someone who consistently says other people lie, exaggerate, and bend the truth, you seem to be doing an awful lot of that yourself.

What's also made up is the implication that this is a problem with all the powerbooks.
                            The implication is quality control must have a serious issue if after such a limited distribution after such a limited time it's all over the internet -- even the review unit they sent one of the biggest hardware sites is ripe with problems.

Not to mention, the reviews not only are critical of the quality but many of the design features.

No, it's an inadequate loser from Calgary who feels the need to bend the truth. You've been caught out in numerous lies now.
                            WHAT lies? This is about the 12th time you and Drake have both accused this, and neither of you seem to be willing to back it up.

Are you hoping that by repeating it enough you can get people to believe it?
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                              How can we have a discussion when all you do is add obvious rhetoric like "they're not all like that!" and "you're a liar!".

You've consistently done nothing but troll and flame in these threads, never once providing counter-examples or evidence or even logic and reason.

All you do is denounce and insult, then have Drake come up behind you and reword what you've said with the occasional thrown in for variety.

It's time to rethink your strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

How can we have a discussion when all you do is add obvious rhetoric like "they're not all like that!" and "you're a liar!".
                                How dare he take your traditional argument position in threads on this board?!

You've consistently done nothing but troll and flame in these threads, never once providing counter-examples or evidence or even logic and reason.

All you do is denounce and insult,
                                Are you looking in the mirror as you write this? I could not have given a better description of your behavior on these boards myself.

It's time to rethink your strategy.

And your strategy of taking psych drugs and a d*** in the a** has been effective? Thats the example we should follow?

Comment

Working...
                                X