Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are quarrels bad or good for a relationship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher
    Who wants to start a pool on a "my friend wants to know about penis enlargement" thread?
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

My GF of six years and I seem to have figured this one out pretty well. When we start to quarrel we both try to regain our composure and discuss the issues instead. My GF usually is much more passionate about the quarrel than I am, so this usually means that I have to hold my fire first and let her expend her emotion more or less unchecked. By then I have a sense of what the problem is (aside from the built up feelings over it). I then attempt to answer her charges without trying to provoke her, and then we discuss the situation and decide what to do about it. This takes a lot of forebearance on my part, but once my GF has gotten her spleen vented I find that we have some very useful discussions, in the course of which I usually have ample opportunity to raise issues that have been troubling to me as well. It works for us, and I'm sure that every couple deserving of the name has or should have a method for working through their problems that goes beyond simply venting upon one another.
      He's got the Midas touch.
      But he touched it too much!
      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

UR, with all these threads you've started these last few days, are you trying to tell us something??
        Hey mate, you okay?
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Hueij, Ted, Ben,

I am fine, thanks for the concern.

You may know my SO has a fiery temper. She usually is quite relaxed, but sometimes she would just flare up like a small (refers to physical size, not intensity) ball of fire. After a minute or two of screaming, she'll feel guilty by directing her anger at me, which is always signalled by a sheepish grin. At which point I can sit her down and listen to her (or start talking).

In my last relationship, I didn't have a fight with my ex. It lasted 8 months. The one before that, you all know what happened with that cheater.

So for me at least, quarrels and other sorts of emotional flare-ups are normal, and can be good for a relationship. As I said, some people I know say they don't have those. Which, to me, is a Very Bad Thing.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
            Been with my wife nearly 12 years, married for 7 of those. We've never quarreled.

If you think that's unusual, my parents have never quarreled in 40 years together. Assuming there are quarrels in every marriage is a fallacy.
            I thought there was no such thing as a perfect relationship, though.

And I usually equate perfect relationship with no arguments or disagreements. This, I thought was not possible.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
              Which, to me, is a Very Bad Thing.
              Why? Personally I'm very thick-skinned and basically never fight with anyone...
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Bad if someone holds grudges, good otherwise. Gotta blow off some steam and not bottle up grievances.

Comment

Originally posted by Boshko
                  Why? Personally I'm very thick-skinned and basically never fight with anyone...
                  Did you read my post David?

For me, the two that didn't have any fights, quarrels, etc. ended up fizzling out or worse.

I need to ask Laz about his secret, too.
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
                    Bad if someone holds grudges, good otherwise. Gotta blow off some steam and not bottle up grievances.
                    What if the two people actually don't have any grievances? What if they just communicate so perfectly that no conflict or disagreement ever arises?
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I've heard it said, no quarrels = no passion, meaning that if a couple doesn't quarrel, it means they don't love each other or are apathetic towards each other.

I don't believe it myself as I have met some happy couples without "quarrels." But no quarrels = no passion has it's merrits and points too.

My wife and I quarrel from time to time, but we both have a very strong commitment to each other and have many more good times than bad.

Of course in the early relationship phase, quarrels were far and few between.
                      badams

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                        What if the two people actually don't have any grievances? What if they just communicate so perfectly that no conflict or disagreement ever arises?
                        Is that possible in real life?

Unless they have telepathy, I don't see how that can be the case.

Comment

Unless they have telepathy, I don't see how that can be the case.

I imagine that if our girlfriends could read our minds then no relationship would ever get past the stage of "Hello"
                          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

usually when my gf and i have a disagreement, we resolve it in the only correct way possible.

me saying, "i'm sorry i was wrong, dear."

B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                              usually when my gf and i have a disagreement, we resolve it in the only correct way possible.

me saying, "i'm sorry i was wrong, dear."

That's how most of my disagreements are resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by Boshko

Why? Personally I'm very thick-skinned and basically never fight with anyone, since I always have my tail between my legs.
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X