It ain't over till it's over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It ain't over till it's over

Supreme Court of Canada to Consider Hearing Homosexual 'Marriage' Appeal Monday

OTTAWA, October 3, 2003 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The Supreme Court of Canada will hear arguments Monday in an application to appeal the June Ontario Court of Appeal decision to redefine marriage to allow homosexual couples to wed. The Application for Leave to Appeal the decision on same-sex marriage was filed by the Association for Marriage and the Family in Ontario, which includes REAL Women of Canada, Focus on the Family and the Canada Family Action Coalition.

Gwen Landolt, a lawyer with REAL Women told LifeSite that normally three justices of the Supreme Court decide whether or not to grant leave to appeal based on submitted written arguments. However, the Monday October 6 hearing will be presided over by five judges and the court has requested that oral arguments be made to supplement the written arguments. "This shows they are taking the case very seriously," said Landolt.

Homosexual activists and the Liberal Government scoffed at the pro-family groups' attempt to appeal the ruling. The federal Government also joined the homosexual activists in an appeal to the court to quash the pro-family association's application to appeal.

Landolt believes the argument to grant an appeal was handed a significant boost when the homosexual activists' website featured photos and commentary from a "gay pride" celebration party 16 days after the Ontario ruling redefining marriage. On the party guest list were two of the three justices which ruled to redefine marriage - Chief Justice Roy McMurtry, and Mr. Justice MacPherson. REAL Women told the Supreme Court that an appeal should be heard since the judges' participation in the celebrations give "an apprehension of bias" in the Ontario Court of Appeal.

Landolt says there is an even chance of the Supreme Court deciding either way on the application to appeal and that the decision on hearing it will likely be reserved for a later date.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Let's try this again... I've deleted the crap, and you can start again. I wouldn't recommend spamming this thread AGAIN.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

This is a really bad decision. Social regression, in fact.
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I agree, it's regression.
        Where did you come up with such a perfectly apt word, Tass.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I think it is perfectly fine. Why should a controversial court decision being brought up for appeal be considered regression? Seems like democracy in action to me.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

The fact that it's up for appeal isn't regression, the fact that some people want to appeal it is social regression on their behalf.

The same, but different.

Some people curl up in the fetal position and cry at the prospect of two people of the same gender marrying eachother if they love eachother. Why? Who knows what they're thinking.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

How can it be "regression" if the society hasn't even really progressed to the point it's supposed to be regressing from yet? It's not like gay marriages have become an established right in Canada. Calling it "maintenance of the status quo" would be more appropriate.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Gay marriages are indeed legally recognized in Canada, Drake.

Comment

Only for a few months and this appeal is questioning the decision that made them legal. They aren't established yet and won't be until the result of this appeal is known.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I would say if they are currently legal, they are currently established and anyone who argues otherwise is playing with semantics and being a bit obtuse.

And those who argue that we need to take away those rights are, indeed, socially regressing.

Comment

I would say if they are currently legal, they are currently established

You would be wrong.

and anyone who argues otherwise is playing with semantics and being a bit obtuse.

Nice try, but your tactics are getting pretty stale.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Yes, it's a bit stale these days to approach situations with logic and reason.

Drake, what's the point of an appeal? Is it not an attempt to turn over something already established?

And just what do you define established to be? If we currently have something legal, how is that not established? If the courts ruled that it shall be legal, how is that not established?

It is established until the event of an appeals court saying it was an incorrect decision, and retracting the ruling.

Comment

Yes, it's a bit stale these days to approach situations with logic and reason.

Yes, preemptively implying that your opponents are stupid is the epitome of logic and reason.

Drake, what's the point of an appeal? Is it not an attempt to turn over something already established?

No, it's an attempt to prevent what they see as an incorrect judicial decision from become established law. If you don't appeal, then you allow gay marriage to become an established right.

If we currently have something legal, how is that not established?

Legal decisions don't suddenly become established law, unless they're made by a supreme court. The system is set up to examine an issue several times and only once a consensus has been reached or the supreme court steps in can an issue be considered definitively ruled upon and any laws created by it "established."
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                            Legal decisions don't suddenly become established law, unless they're made by a supreme court.
                            Hello! Bingo.

Which court do you think made the ruling, Drake?

Comment

Which court do you think made the ruling, Drake?

The...

Ontario Court of Appeal

?

At least try to read the article before trolling, Glonk.
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X