Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Consumer Debt: The reason the US economy won't expand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consumer Debt: The reason the US economy won't expand.

Don't have time to comment yet. I have to go to class.
    Attached Files
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

The reason the US economy won't expand is your underinvestment in the space program. Space exploitation is capitalism's only hope.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I say we colonize Mars and annex it.

Comment

Let's take some more planets while we're at it. I'm sure we can find some WMD on Venus.
        Visit First Cultural Industries
        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

If you can't find some big place to explore, try my d*ck... Or as a more serious advice, elect another President
          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

I have to go to class.
            License to threadjack.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Looks like a good place for the six kinds of jacking:
              thread, off, air, car, hi, and game
              American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
              I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
              Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
              XGalaga.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                Let's take some more planets while we're at it. I'm sure we can find some WMD on Venus.
                Thick titanium shells corrode in five minutes on Venus. Think of the damage that could be cause by terrorists if they were to crash Venus into a skyscraper!
                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Think of the damage that could be cause by terrorists if they were to crash Venus into a skyscraper!

I would think the gravitational effects of moving Venus would be more noticeable than sulphuric acid.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I'm a consumer and I have no debt.
                    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Consumer debt may play a part. I'm thinking the rise of poverty, the rise of cost of living, and lower wages for most workers across the board may also be a factor.

Comment

I'm blaming El Nino...

Cold weather shrinks economies.

Comment

I owe about $2k in student loans but that's my entire debt load. No credit card payments, no car payments, the rest of my bills are month to month bills like rent & food.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Just to be an humorless economics geek, bear in mind that the debt burden isn't quite as bad as it looks - interest rates are at incredibly low levels, and I imagine that most people can repay their debts, even if interest rates were to go up a bit.
                            'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                            - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Originally posted by Case
                              Just to be an humorless economics geek, bear in mind that the debt burden isn't quite as bad as it looks - interest rates are at incredibly low levels, and I imagine that most people can repay their debts, even if interest rates were to go up a bit.
                              Just to point out the error here

Low nominal interest rates (as opposed to low real interest rates - which we don't have at present) only shift the burden of payments from the beginning of the loan to later periods.

Saying that current loans are affordable because (nominal) interest rates are low is as wrong as claiming that, because the repayments are lower, a loan repaid over 5 years is cheaper than one repaid over 3.
                              19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

Working...
                              X