Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian Military may hire private firms to conduct patrols.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course, none this would be a problem now if we'd only had the foresight to merge into the United States of North America (USNA) in the past. But, nnnooooo, we were short-sighted then, and we're short-sighted now!

Gatekeeper

P.S. Drake hit the nail on the head, in all seriousness.
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

So hasn't the Aurora spy plane been around since the 1980's? The US press still says nothing about it but it would be nice to see some pictures or something.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I'm certain that the Canadians' "Aurora" craft isn't the same as the elusive U.S. "Aurora" spycraft.
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

A variety of options are being looked at, including having the navy hire a private firm to provide planes for coastal patrols. Such missions are used to keep tabs on ships in Canada's waters as well as environmental problems offshore.

This shows one of the problems. Ottawa not only under funds the military, but also asks it to do non-military jobs like environmental protection, fighting forest fires, help clean up after hurricanes, plow streets after snow storms.
          Golfing since 67

Comment

uorw]quO5

looking at hiring private companies to conduct air sovereignty patrols along the east and west coasts due to budget cuts and equipment shortages,
            Am I the only one who sees this as a bad precedent?

Suppose a few companies with military projects got together and wanted to depose the Canadian government?

Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Suppose a few companies with military projects got together and wanted to depose the Canadian government?

I'm pretty sure America would put a stop to anything like that.

Unless we were controlling the companies all along, that is...
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I believe Machiaelli said only a fool would rely on mercenaries for defense.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                  So hasn't the Aurora spy plane been around since the 1980's? The US press still says nothing about it but it would be nice to see some pictures or something.

The Canadian Aurora is a modfied P-3 (The plane the Chinese forced down a few years back)
                  Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

"Disarming people shows people you distrust them. This offends them and leads to hating you. If you disarm your people, you have to rely on mercenaries, which is useless. "

Machiavelli, The Prince chapter 20 verse 4.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Re: uorw]quO5

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Am I the only one who sees this as a bad precedent?

More worryingly, suppose a few of these companies tried to diversify into healthcare...

Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

From memory, the Australian government has been doing something similar to this for years now, and it seems to have worked fairly well. There's no good reason to use large four engined patrol aircraft such as the Orion/Aurora with a crew of 10 for simple tasks like keeping an eye on fishing trawlers when cheaper aircraft can do the job just as well.
                        'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                        - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Working...
                        X