No announcement yet.

Those Wacky Libertarians to invade New Hampshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think that 20,000 immigrants will be enough to sway the whole state over to the Libertarian way of life, particularily if you're honest about your game plan. When I lived in New Hampshire 20+ years ago most of the population was definitely anti-drug and anti-prostitution. Also bringing Brits and Aussies with you isn't going to help much because they won't be able to vote until they're naturalized, which will take 5 to 7 years.
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
      That's the problem Leo, if you want the nanny laws, then you get the social restrictions too. Once you get what you want from government, everyone else gets to try and have their agenda pushed through and you lack the moral authority to tell them "no".
      Yeah, yeah, whatever. My country's well on its way on chucking out the social absurdities and I believe the l-tarians would consider certain aspects of her to be "nannyish".
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Human nature pretty much ensures that the Free State Project will meet, in due time, with utter and abject failure. One person's freedom is another person's slavery, it seems.

Gatekeeper

P.S. I see my home state came in 9th out of 10 possible destinations for the Free Staters. I'm embarrassed that we were edged out by Alaska of all places!
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

One person's freedom is another person's slavery, it seems.
          The politics of envy

Comment

Cool. I actually like this A LOT.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

and the conservative Amish religious communities.
              The amish aren't libertarian! They would support social restrictions bans on prostitution, drugs and guns. Do they really want a state based on what the Amish believe?
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

they can have new hampshire.

that's an utterly useless state anyhow.
                B♭3

Comment

One person's freedom is another person's slavery, it seems.
                  Slavery only to your own best interest.

The project will fail, there is no doubt. I wish I could believe in it's sucess, but I cannot.

I think they should have done Alaska .
                  Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
                    The first thought that came to my mind when I read 20,000 people would be moving to New Hampshire was to buy land there to sell at a higher price when everyone wants to move in
                    Now you're talking like a true libertarian.

I am hopeful it will happen. I am a Free State Project member and New Hampshire was my first choice, so I'm glad it won. You just can't top their slogan, "Live Free or Die" perfect libertarian statement.

I hope you move up David, you too Berz. There is a real chance to move the country forward with this. I like New Hampshire because not only is it libertarian leaning to begin with, but as the state with the earliest primaries it has a great chance for national influence.

It doesn't even need the full 20,000. An additional 1,000 or 5,000 activists in a small state would have a tremendous influence on local politics. Going with the assumption that anyone willing to move across country to a state for their beliefs will be more than a passive voter, a few die hard activists could make a large impact on the state.

Rock on Porcupines!
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Ben -
                      The amish aren't libertarian! They would support social restrictions bans on prostitution, drugs and guns. Do they really want a state based on what the Amish believe?
                      The author wasn't saying the Amish are libertarians, he was referring to their semi-autonomous region like the Mormons in Utah. These people carved out little hamlets to practice their beliefs and that is what the author is suggesting for libertarians.

Comment

I think you guys are seriously underestimating how socially conservative the people of New Hampshire are. They'll never go for legalized prostitution or drugs.
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Well I'm hoping the Free Staters will have some sense and not make heroine legalization their first agenda item. I'm sure they'll have many projects to work on before legalizing prostitution and hard drugs. But then again, they are libertarians.... so I may be wrong.
                          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I grew up outside Boston, not too far south of New Hampshire. I moved to a better climate (California) many years ago and never thought about going back. This is the one thing that would tempt me.
                            "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

You americans are all crazy. Who'd want a libertarian state except the super-rich who're the only benefitees?
                              Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                              Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

I think you guys are seriously underestimating how socially conservative the people of New Hampshire are. They'll never go for legalized prostitution or drugs
                                True, they're much closer to libertarian values on fiscal matters than socially. But the state is small enough that an influx of libertarians could sway some elections. NH has elected, precentage wise, more libertarians than any other state and that's without a significant influx of motivated libertarians.

Comment

Working...
                                X