Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I Ask for the Right to Die"

No, not me personally, so don´t hold your breath

Maybe you already read that, but I saw no thread about it (oh and please could we forget the "funny" jokes about France for this thread):

BERCK-SUR-MER, France -- France is facing calls to reform its ban on euthanasia after the death of an accident victim whose plea to let his mother end his life gripped the nation.

Vincent Humbert, 22, died Friday after doctors ceased their fight to keep the quadriplegic alive following his mother Marie's injection barbiturate into his intravenous drip late on Wednesday.

His brother Laurent Humbert told LCI television: "We have what we wanted, he has what he wanted. I am happy my brother is free at last. It's an enormous relief."

Their father had pleaded with doctors to abandon their efforts to save his son's life after his wife's euthanasia bid left their son in a coma. He said he was "furious and revolted" by the attempts to save his son.

Humbert's case captured the heart of France and even moved President Jacques Chirac -- who has a severely handicapped daughter – to take a personal interest in the family, after Humbert wrote to him in November 2002 asking to be allowed to die.

Prime Minister Jean-Pierre Raffarin and other leading ministers resisted calls for a reform of the euthanasia ban.

"Life doesn't belong to politicians," Raffarin said in an interview in Saturday's edition of Le Figaro daily under the headline: "Euthanasia: Raffarin refuses to change the law."

Social Affairs Minister Francois Fillon told the daily he opposed a change of law. Earlier, he called for reform and said Vincent's mother could feel proud of having reopened the debate about assisted suicide.

"As a member of the government I can't advocate breaking the law, but we have to open a debate to modify our laws to take account of situations like this," Fillon told Europe 1 radio.

Chirac, who has the authority to pardon law-breakers, refused Humbert's request to be allowed to die last year but kept in close touch with the family.

Former health minister Bernard Kouchner said it was time France caught up with countries that have legalized euthanasia.

"This is one of the most serious problems our society must confront. The Netherlands and Belgium have done it, things are evolving in Britain and they soon will in Italy and Spain. I don't want my country to be last," he told Europe 1 radio.

In a sign of a shift to a more open stance on the issue in France, Humbert's doctors issued a statement saying they had taken the decision to "limit active treatment" given Vincent's condition and "the wish he had expressed numerous times."

The public prosecutor, who on Thursday released Humbert's mother from police custody, ordered an autopsy and said an inquiry would follow.

Humbert, plunged into a long coma by a car accident in 2000, planned his death to coincide with the publication of his book, "I Ask for the Right to Die," which he dictated using only a remaining flicker of movement in his thumb.

In it, he says: "I am glad to have caused a rumpus if it can be of help, not to me but to others. If my shattered life, my death, can help those who, like me, wish to ask to die."

Humbert talked daily to his mother by pressing his thumb into her palm to select letters as she read the alphabet aloud.

He ends his book: "Do not judge her. What she has done for me is without doubt the most beautiful proof of love there is."
    What your personal opinion, and how does your country handle such things? Never thought about it, I´m not even sure what German law says about this....
    Blah

Should that not be

"Freedom to Die?"
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

sounds good to me.

we need less french in this world

Comment

Since Dissident started it already, can I post French jokes now?
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Hm *grummel* at least I tried it.....
          Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
            Should that not be

"Freedom to Die?"
            Tell that the French
            Blah

Comment

Hm *grummel* at least I tried it.....

That sounds like a yes to me.

Man, it's just like the French to surrender in the face of adversity. Just one more similarity between terminal illnesses and the Germans, I guess.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

No one ever asked to be born into this world, with its hardships and pains. The very least we can do is honour their request to die. The right to end your existence, in a dignified manner at the place and time of your choosing, should be one of the fundemental rights a society gives a person.
                Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                -Richard Dawkins

Comment

The right to end your existence, in a dignified manner at the place and time of your choosing, should be one of the fundemental rights a society gives a person.
                  Why do you need society to give this to you? Don't you already have the freedom to die in a manner of your choosing?
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Obviously not if the doctors tried agressive resusitation against the person's and the family's wishes.
                    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                    -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Obviously not if the doctors tried agressive resusitation against the person's and the family's wishes.
                      Don't they have DNRs in France?

Comment

my knowledge of french medical law is....limited.
                        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Working...
                        X