What is wrong with the church?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adam Smith
    People such as Oscar Romero, Carlos Belo, Desmond Tutu, and Mother Teresa would dispute that.
    Erm... how many of those are alive? Or sane?

Nevermind, check the later post I made. It comes over like the entire clergy are screwing anything that moves, which is clearly not the case.

JP2 certainly isn't up to it, for a start.
    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

So all forms of celibacy are unnatural or unhealthy?

Gee, for someone who is somewhat slighted by the remark that celibacy is "unatural" you sure don't have any problems insulting homosexuals by stating that sex acts between two people of same gender is unatural.

If you want to throw rocks, you will get rocks thrown back at you in one form or another.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Ok, the priest caught in here was not catholic priest. Sure I understand they are human as well, but then again.. bah.. and I meant church more as an organisation and their ways of dealing with obvious problems. I know it's not that simple, and that there is no perfect model of handling these things, but I think the model of trying to keep it down and work it out is not working if you don't root the problems out. Priest or no priest, but if you do wrong you should be punished for it, just like everyone else. But this is not attack against religions or priests in general or church in general. So don't get offended too easily...

I saw just some time ago an argument in television where the representor of church (sorry for the lack of better terms) said that it's a problem, because the ones with obvious problems of liking little kids too much are also human, and as humans they deserve another chance, chance to make it better. As humans, they are ultimately good and they must be forgiven. To this point I agree, but the actions taken, or NOT taken I don't agree with. Gods children, humans, what ever but giving chance after chance to not molest kids in his job is not very human IMO. After all, there are victims. So this is why I'm against the hush hush policy.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

You have encapsulated the problem well.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Gee, for someone who is somewhat slighted by the remark that celibacy is "unatural" you sure don't have any problems insulting homosexuals by stating that sex acts between two people of same gender is unatural.
            Own goal.

I'm making a consistent argument in favour of celibacy on both points.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

3 men walk into a confessional; a preist, a rapist, and a child molestor... oh, and two other men...
              Last edited by Japher; September 26, 2003, 12:27.
              Monkey!!!

Comment

My question is how does the Catholic church reconcile its policy of condemning homosexuality with its apparent policy of continually moving repeat sex offenders (who have also committed a homosexual act) to new congregations.
                "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
                "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

It can't reconcile the policy. The (long discarded) policy couldn't be reconciled with a lot of its other policies. That's why it was a bad policy.
                  Last edited by DanS; September 26, 2003, 12:44.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                    Own goal.

I'm making a consistent argument in favour of celibacy on both points.
                    Only if you look at it in a particularly twisted way.

It is not consistent to say that celibacy is natural while homosexuals are not.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                      I think the problem with the church is they don't buy enough bananas.
                      But whats really interesting is that when you eat a banana youre supposed to say (according to Orthodox and Conservative Judaism) the bracha (blessing) for VEGETABLES (borei pree ha'adamah) rather than the bracha for fruits (borie prees ha etz) cause the banana tree isnt considered technically a tree in Jewish law. Dont ask me why.

If i see more on the status of bananas under Jewish law, i will post it.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

What's wrong with church? Really?

Hypocracy.
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

here we go

"What is a fruit? Technically, "fruit" is defined as the "edible seed bearing structure of a plant". This definition includes melons, berries, tropical fruits such as bananas, as well as other popular fruits. Horticulturists define fruits as "the edible food of a woody perennial". A perennial is a plant that lives for two years or more. An annual is a plant that dies or degenerates after one year. The Shulchan Aruch and horticulturists consider the fruit of an annual a vegetable. A banana is a perfect example of a tropical fruit that grows on an annual plant. After one season the banana bush dies and a new shoot grows in its place. Hence a banana is halachically considered a vegetable and the bracha, the blessing, made on a banana is borei pri hoadama . "
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

thought y'all might also be interested in this

"RULE #7:
                            Raisins or bananas added to cereal do not require their own blessing since they are secondary to the cereal (10). When the main intent, however, is for the fruit, a separate blessing should be made over them (11)."

Shana tova (happy new year)

Comment

one last observation

"Some produce only ripens after being harvested. There are certain types of dates that only become edible after being harvested. They can only be tithed when they are edible. The work, Libun Halacha argues that bananas are harvested in a hard, green state, when they are completely inedible. Traditionally, they were tithed after harvesting, before being sold. Libun Halacha writes that this is in error, for only after ripening do they first become obligated.

The esrog is somewhat similar in that it turns yellow off the tree. The Libun Halacha chides the Moadim Uzmanim, who compared the banana and the esrog. The banana is not at all fit to eat when harvested. You can only make the proper brocha when the banana turns yellow, and that is precisely when you would take the ma'aser. The esrog, as we said, is not a matter of unripe fruit. As long as it will turn yellow, it is the right type of fruit, and that's all we were looking for. As far as eating is concerned, there is no difference in the edibility of the esrog when it is green or yellow"

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                                What's wrong with church? Really?

Hypocracy.
                                There is no hypocrisy in the Church's teaching here. Molestation of Children is a mortal sin and unless the perpetrators repent they will suffer the pains of Hell for their sin.
                                "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Working...
                                X