No announcement yet.

Another Hollywood historical travesty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I admite it isn't the most productive why to spend a Saturday afternoon but it's more entertaining then watching TV.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Trajanus
      I know a great deal of magnificent movies made in Belgium your fine billion dollar movies can buttkiss with delight!
      Leaving aside the scatological/physiological impossibility of one movie butt-kissing another (no butts, no lips), why don't you educate us? There is a fairly good video rental place near my office with a pretty big foreign section - give me a top 3 Belgian Film Festival titles list. Don't just roll your eyes at ignorance - toss a movie at it!
      What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?

Comment

Sigh. No doubt the effeminate, cowardly, British chaps will be getting crushed by the invincible German war machine, until the American good ol' boys show up to kick Nazi ass.

Aren't prejuding the film any, are we?
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Re: Another Hollywood historical travesty

Originally posted by Sandman

Sigh. No doubt the effeminate, cowardly, British chaps will be getting crushed by the invincible German war machine, until the American good ol' boys show up to kick Nazi ass.
          Leave out the cowardly, and that's pretty much what happened, isn't it?

Just accept the movie for what the waste of time it most probably will be, and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
            I wonder. Mel Gibson is releasing his epic about the life of Christ "Passion" around easter next year. Will the Christ character look down from the cross and with a thick accent announce "I'll be back!"?

Nahhhh! Mel's way too devout to do that. Nahhh!

Well, maybe. Nahhhhh!

No but there will be a butt shot of Christ in the movie.
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
              Hard to when you don't make any.
              Here you go little redneckie you.

Comment

Actually both sides began running out of pilots by the approach of winter. American volunteers made up only a tiny fraction of the RAF in 1940. I believe that Polish, French, and Czech volunteers each offered a much larger contribution. The closest the RAF came to disaster was during the second phase of the German assault when the Germans started targetting airfields. There was a point at which the staff at some fields panicked and refused to fight. This condition didn't last long since the Germans shifted their focus away from the attack on the RAF fields too soon.
                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Germans would have won if they had not changed the plan at that point.
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Which they did, only because some German planes accidentally bombed London. This made the RAF attempt their first ever bombing raid on Berlin. This in turn made Hitler so furious that he forced Göring to focus all bombing runs on targeting cities. Göring, all to eager to please his master, complied.

It is estimated that another two weeks of concentrated bombing against airfields would have seen the RAF defeated, and the road for an invasion of the U.K. open.

But of course that is all guesswork, as history would have it otherwise.

Asmodean
                    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Aren't prejuding the film any, are we?
                      The synopsis is riddled with laughable historical inaccuracies, what more do you want?

Leave out the cowardly, and that's pretty much what happened, isn't it?
                      Maybe if the war is taken as a whole, but not for the Battle of Britain.

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22

http://www.filmfestivalrotterdam.com...film/4604.html

Comment

The synopsis is riddled with laughable historical inaccuracies

Such as? Doc's explination seems to back the synopsis. Americans along with Poles and Czechs, etc. volunteered for the RAF.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22

http://www.filmfestivalrotterdam.com...film/4604.html
                            Sounds interesting. Unfortunately it's only subtitled in dutch, and probably isn't offered here in the US.

I am however disconsolate to hear that you still have "underclasses" in Europe. You should try to avoid having them as they're very demoralizing. Maybe one reason that American films are so popular in Europe and around the world is that American films rarely insult the "underclass". You'd be amazed at how many working people really get their hackles up at being portrayed as a "underclass".

Hey! That would make a pretty good cartoon: "Underclass"

"There's no need to fear! Underclass is here!"

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                              Germans would have won if they had not changed the plan at that point.
                              That's like saying that the Germans would have won if their leadership hadn't been so psycho. If their leadership hadn't been so psycho there wouldn't have been a war.

Comment

Well, their leadership was actually quite brilliant, so brilliant to the point I don't think there has ever been another group of leaders ever assembled that has had so much talent. I'm talking about generals, who were light years ahead of everybody else. Hitler on the other hand is another story.

Comment

Working...
                                X