Pentium 4 Extreme Edition announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
    The question is, how much will the L3 help when a branch prediction fails and the pipeline gets thrashed? For P4, you're screwed no matter what when the pipeline is emptied and the execution starts over at the other leg. For CPUs with shorter pipes, it's not that bad.
    I'm trying hard to see what branch mispredicts have to do with extra cache.

The extra cache is there to try to lower the memory gap between the Athlon 64 and P4. Athlon 64's memory controller is on-die for low latency (70ns), the P4's for system RAM is somewhere about 90ns right now, but adding cache will lower the average latency even more.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

oooooooh!!! it's EXTREEEEME!
      "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
      Drake Tungsten
      "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
      Albert Speer

Comment

I dare you to touch a P4 running w/o a heatsink and tell me it's not extreme.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I dare you to stop a rhino in it's path by pure force of will.
          Drake Tungsten
          Albert Speer

Comment

Make it a double-dare and it's a deal.

Comment

triple dog dare you!!!
              Drake Tungsten
              Albert Speer

Comment

Them fighting words!

Comment

Indeed, I'm surprised that at the sight of them you haven't rolled over and surrendered yet.

Oh, wait, that's the french, not the canadians. Never mind...
                  Drake Tungsten
                  Albert Speer

Comment

So this is what Asher is masturbating over these days . . .
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

--"This ain't no Apple "L3 cache" bull****, but the real deal -- same cache used in the Gallatin Xeons."

That's the inclusive L3, right? Not as impressive as it could be, then. Certainly not as imipressive as they'll market it ^_^ Intel does follow Apple in that regards (well, all companies do) although they aren't quite as bad.

The value of the L3 cache is fairly debatable for a desktop chip. The 512 k to 1 M transition on L2 has already reached the point of diminishing returns for the kind of things most people do with desktops. People who had been using Xeons could now switch to these, but we'll have to wait for the benchmarks to see if anyone else gets any real advantage from this.

Wraith
                      Shift to the left! Shift to the right! Pop up! Push down! Byte! Byte! Byte!

Comment

We should all write our posts TO THE EXTREME!!!!
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

+0

TO THE MAX!!!!!
                          "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Wait a few weeks and prices will drop like a rock as the new processors are released at the rate of one per month for the next two months.
                            ****, I just bought a P4/2.8GHz/800MHz system. How much faster are these new Prescotts going to be?
                            "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                            George Orwell

Comment

I can't wait to get this. I'll be playing an extremely grueling game of Civilization in my ExtremeComfort3000 computer chair, working my MS ExtremeMouse like no other.

Comment

And after conquests?...CIV3 EXTREME!!!!!

oh boy.
                                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
                                X