No announcement yet.

The Screwtape Letters, or "Let's pester GePap"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mere Christianity isn't intended to be hard philosophy or any such thing. It is Lewis' personal explanations for why and how to choose. Anyone failing to understand that such choices (including agnosticism or atheism) are fundamentally emotional rather than rational is off the mark.
    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

I really liked "The Screwtape Letters." Thank you for reminding me to check it out of the library and read it again.

Comment

Screwtape letters was an excellent book I thought, one of the only theology books that many non-Christians can enjoy.
        "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Elok:

I'll read screwtape letters over the next week or so, and you read Mere Christianity. Then we can post our reviews.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
            Elok:

I'll read screwtape letters over the next week or so, and you read Mere Christianity. Then we can post our reviews.
            It isn't that long of a book, shouldn't take you a whole week unless you read it sporadically.
            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

I have other readings.

And I wanted to give Elok some wiggle room.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Well, Hurricane Izzy knocked my power out on thursday and I only got it back about half an hour ago, so I've been a little short on reading light, plus I got, er, distracted by other readings myself, but I'm about halfway/three-quarters through MC. The reasoning isn't as tight as it is in his other books; that's the trick of Socratic reasoning, it takes a LOOOOOONG argument to eliminate every impossibility, and he seems to miss a few loopholes here and there. It's still a good read on the whole, and he makes some interesting points. It also seems pretty familiar in some parts, so either he says things very similar to what he said in "The Four Loves," which I know I read a long time ago, or I skimmed the book a while back and forgot that I read it. But I'll wait 'till I've completely finished for a final verdict. How about you, Ben?
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I feel that reading this book separated me from being a cultural christian and being a real Christian. It made a veeery large difference in my conception of God, Salvation and several other things. I thank God for this book.

What I liked the most about the book (I read it recently and have a report on it pending) was the concept of God's "Unbounded Now" I had never thought of it that way before and after that Omnipresence, Omnicscience became not articles of faith, but self evident truths.
                  Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

instead of talking about screwtape letters, I opt for the "lets pester Gepap" option.
                    :-p

Comment

How about me? Haven't started.

Comment

Re: The Screwtape Letters, or "Let's pester GePap"

Originally posted by Elok
                        As anybody who's ever looked at my sig can tell, I'm a big C.S. Lewis fan, and since there's been all this talk about Nietzsche lately I figure turnabout is fair play. Has anybody here read Screwtape? If so, what did you think of it? I'm especially interested in the opinion of non-Christians who read the book(it's about human thought in general as much as it is about religion, so it's worth a read for anybody).
                        For those who've never heard of it or want a blurb anyway, the Screwtape Letters is a relatively short work of fiction from the 1940s that takes the form of a set of correspondence from an elderly and experience demon named Screwtape to his nephew Wormwood, advising him on the best ways of tempting a young man to ruin. It's extremely satirical in tone, going into what Lewis sees as flaws in modern thought in great detail, and probably my favorite book. I just want to see what the vast aggregate of OT opinions has to say about it.
                        Yes, I've read it. Unfrotunately I have no idea whjere my copy is. It is probably the most succinct work ever written by C.S. Lewis. The rest of his essays are unbearably repetitive.
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                          Yes, I've read it. Unfrotunately I have no idea whjere my copy is. It is probably the most succinct work ever written by C.S. Lewis. The rest of his essays are unbearably repetitive.
                          What are you gonna do? He's a self-proclaimed Socratic. His answer to a question is to violently and unceasingly beat it until it gives up the ghost.
                          1011 1100
                          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Bump.

I've started the Screwtape Letters, Elok.

Comment

Working...
                            X