No announcement yet.

Anime Apolyton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found once you get past the confusing part you can focus more on the character interactions. Haruko seems like a complete loon until you know what she's really up to.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I'm teaching a class that involves anime.
      Makes me wish I'd gone to college. My sister just took an english lit class on Fantasy and SciFi short stories at the University of Missouri.

Comment

God I hate Missouri.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Are you a Cornhusker?

Boogiepop Phantom is becoming a major disappointment. I still have three or four eps left to go but I'm having a hard time getting motivated to put them in.

Comment

Are you a Cornhusker?

You're goddamn right I am, and proud of it.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I was wondering how well that would work out. I for one am very glad I saw BP in an anime-club style setting, where somebody introduced the episodes, had short discussions afterwards where we could eac point out some things others might have missed, and generally insured you stayed up to date. For instance, as an example (that shouldn't be a spoiler for you)...

Spoiler:

I didn't notice that there were two Boogiepops until it was pointed out for me- one that speaks with reverb and one that doesn't, and obviously having rather different roles.

On the bright side, most of the mysteries are revealed in the last 2 episodes (since generally the episodes before it generate far more questions than answers). I admit I was getting a bit annoyed at the show in the middle too.
              All syllogisms have three parts.
              Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

I didn't know that. I just found out what the light is and how certain things exist but what's going to be done about it I know not. When I get done I may ask some questions. It's not so much that I don't understand it as it is that it's so slow. Plus, having the first three seasons of the Family Guy as an alternative has been devastating to motivation.

It would seem BP has all the things I like in an anime. I like the concepts that would never play in a real world film, like the Spriggans and the Ninja Scrolls, and the Metropolises. Hopefully it'll pick up at the end.

Comment

--" I think they like it, but are having trouble understanding what's going on."

I think that was kind of the point of the series. You're not really supposed to understand what's going on the first time round.

Must be a fun class, though. Just make sure none of your students brings a guitar to school. Ukeleles are okay (they suck, after all).

--"Haruko seems like a complete loon until you know what she's really up to."

Nah, she's still a complete loon. She's just a complete loon with a goal.

--" had short discussions afterwards"

Yes, it's definitely one of the more convoluted anime around.

--"it is that it's so slow."

I don't remember having any problems with the pacing, but it has been a while since I've watched it.

I also very much enjoy Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, so take that as you will.

Edit:

Quick update on the Studio Ghibli front, but the Porco Rosso dub has been completed. It's currently scheduled for a DVD release next April, with Nausicaa to follow. Unfortunately, there are no plans to release Porco Rosso theatrically.

Wraith
                  "Madness has no purpose, or reason... but it may have a goal."
                  -- Spock

Comment

Well, maybe to me she doesn't seem that crazy.

Anyway, do you know if the next disc for Haibane Renmei will also contain pencil boards? I was fortunate to find a boxed set a few days before its actual release (at which time I would be in China). The pencil boards with it are great, and I was hoping there would be more with future releases.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

--"Well, maybe to me she doesn't seem that crazy."

Well, compared to that Chinese girl you mentioned in another thread, maybe she isn't ^_^

--"Anyway, do you know if the next disc for Haibane Renmei will also contain pencil boards?"

They're supposed to, but they'll be limited again. Only the first shipment out will have them as pack-ins. I'm not sure what art they're going to be using; the cover art again probably, but I don't know about the other side. Some of the doujinshi art would be nice, but there must be some weird issue there or they'd have used it on the DVD silkscreens like with the R2s.

Wraith
                      "That's my nickname. Waly with one l."
                      -- Wally ("Dilbert")
                      Last edited by Wraith; October 19, 2003, 10:00.

Comment

I have watched all of the episodes of Twelve Kingdoms that have been fansubbed so far and think this was an excellent recommendation. Definitely worthwhile on DVD.

The story starts out pretty uninteresting, with way too many crying, helpless girls for my taste, but after that is out of the way (~ episode 9 or 10, as promised by the recommender), the series really rocks. Definitely one of the better series out there.

Apparently, there is going to be a hiatus in the TV series while they finish the manga. This seems like a good decision.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

--"but after that is out of the way"

The dynamic characters are part of what makes the show interesting. There are far too many shows (anime or not) out there where the characters either don't change or change in unbelievable ways. Twelve Kingdoms manages to make the changes work.

--"Apparently, there is going to be a hiatus in the TV series while they finish the manga. "

I think they're waiting on the novels rather than the manga, but for the original author's storyline at any rate. Definitely a good choice; too many good anime have really lost it when they ran out of manga story to follow.

And for those following it, the second Haibane Renmei DVD is out this week. Best Buy already has it on the shelves, at least around here.

Ah, yes, you mentioned Gunslinger Girls earlier, too. I've seen two episodes of that, and that's all I'm going to watch. The first one didn't really impress me, it feels like a bad Noir clone. I didn't much like Noir either, but at least it had a great soundtrack. Unfortunately, the second episode of Gunslinger Girls is half composed of scenes from the first episode...

It isn't a girls-with-guns series, but you might want to check out Shingetsutan Tsukihime, also known as Moon Princess. It's shaping up to be a good, dark vampire drama.

Wraith
                          "If I'd known I was going to die today, I wouldn't have done all that homework!"
                          -- Tenchi Masaki ("Tenchi Muyo")

Comment

I was considering blind buying Haibane Renmei, but I chickened out. I just don't have that kind of dough to throw around.
                            "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                            Drake Tungsten
                            "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                            Albert Speer

Comment

The dynamic characters are part of what makes the show interesting.
                              I agree. The main character's actions are predicated on this change. They would be incomprehensible if this change wasn't shown. Maybe they could have found a way to cut some of it out at the beginning, though. I guess I have no patience with weak-willed women.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

--"I was considering blind buying Haibane Renmei, but I chickened out."

Money's money, so I can't blame you. I have heard that some rental places (even in Canada) are carrying it, though, so maybe you can find it there.

It is my favorite anime, but I will warn again that it won't be for everyone. The series shows a lot of influence by the Japanese shomingeki genre (especially the episodes on the first disk). There really isn't any directly comparable genre in Western cinema. They're essential something I called slice-of-life in a past thread; dramas about regular people doing regular things. There aren't even many available in translation here; you can find a couple by Yasujiro Ozu. Good Morning has been out for a bit, and Criteron just recently released Tokyo Story.
                                (Ozu, by the way, was an influence on Kore'eda, who has been confirmed as an influence on Haibane Renmei.)

--"Maybe they could have found a way to cut some of it out at the beginning, though."

Feeling impatient, are we? I don't recall you ever saying, so I'll have to ask now if you've ever seen Alien 9? ^_^ Somehow, I don't think you'd like the main character.

Wraith
                                "Nyaaaa!"
                                -- Kasumi ("Alien 9")

Comment

Working...
                                X