No announcement yet.

Anime Apolyton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know if Wraith has mentioned this in the past, but TechTV is starting Banner of the Stars (Seikai no Senki) in November. I own the DVDs and it I highly recommended it, as I've mentioned in a previous post.

Does TechTV do subs or dubs?
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

dubs

Jon Miller
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Hmmm... Haven't tried the dubs yet, so I can't recommend that version.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

--"because I saw the first couple of eps for TV and it was a real snoozer."

Yeah, the TV series is pretty bad.

--"but TechTV is starting Banner of the Stars"

They aired Crest of the Stars a while ago. Unfortunately, the dub on these is really bad. They didn't even do a good job with the subtitles. Bandai really doesn't seem to like this series, which makes me wonder why they licensed it.

Wraith
          "Land Rover attack!"
          -- Kyusaku and Shinichi ("All Purpose Cultural Catgirl Nuku Nuku")

Comment

Unfortunately, the dub on these is really bad. They didn't even do a good job with the subtitles.
            I just compared the dub and sub with the fansub on episode one of Banner of the Stars and I have to say that I'm mightily disappointed. The sub has too harsh a tone for what is essentially a love story and the dub is downright frustrating. The fansub hits it just right.

I just bought a bunch of worthless DVDs. I guess I should look at it as supporting the authors with my purchase, even if I always watch the fansub.

Comment

Don't know if this is applicable to anyone other than Drake- sort of, since he can't exactly watch it so easily now- but since Kenshin TV came up earlier, I happened to come across a list of all the edits that the Cartoon Network has made. Interesting, and good to know exactly what's different. Most of it I have no problem with- cleaning up some of the bad language and reducing the amount of blood flying around- although as the edit list notes, there was one fairly major omission in the 3rd episode of the Shishio fight (you recognize it rather promptly for those who watched since it's obvious after the fact what happened, but why they pulled it...), and that I am somewhat rankled by. And I think changing all references from "Hell" to "Hades" was slightly silly as well, but beats me, maybe some people find it objectionable.

That said, I don't agree with what this guy says about how Kenshin TV should be shown on Adult Swim late at night, so fewer cuts would be needed. As a silly action anime for junior-high schoolers, Kenshin acquits itself very well, I think. And really, I think that's where it should be shown. It's not a show I feel you should get too elitist about, and there's no reason why younger kids can't enjoy 95% of the show (and learn about the more esoteric 5% as the show goes on). Shown at late night trying to stand next to, say, Cowboy Bebop, Kenshin looks a lot worse, and would probably attract a smaller audience.
              All syllogisms have three parts.
              Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Regarding Uchuu no Stellvia, I watched the first episode fansubbed. The protaganist (the little girl) really annoyed me and I couldn't identify with her, so I'm not going to be following the series. Pretty bad voice acting.

A couple of the new series airing in Japan that I found worthwhile are Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and Gunslinger Girl. Kimi ga Nozomu Eien starts out as a fairly conventional schoolkids romance, although it is among the older set of schoolkids. The protaganist is maneuvered into going out with a friend of a friend. The second episode diverges from that formula somewhat, which is making things interesting and worthwhile to follow. So far there are hints of a love quadrangle, but maybe that's just there to throw us off the trail!

Gunslinger Girl is about young girl orphan assassins under the employ of the company (Italian government?). Reminds me somewhat of La Femme Nikita in feel, although the characters and storyline are different. So far, the themes dealt with are emotional dependency and primary human needs. If you have problems watching 8 year old girls splattering the brains of their targets on the wall, then you'll want to skip this one. We'll see how this one goes, since only the first episode has aired in Japan.
                Last edited by DanS; October 14, 2003, 02:09.

Comment

Oh, and are the DVDs for Twelve Kingdoms any good? The series was recommended to me very highly, with the caveat that things don't start getting going until episode 9 or 10. Sound is not the most important thing for me.

Comment

Wow, that list of edits makes me feel like I wasted my time watching "Outlaw Star" on Cartoon Network.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I ahve a subed version I downloaded

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

--"The sub has too harsh a tone for what is essentially a love story and the dub is downright frustrating."

I don't have the Banner II first disc yet, but the other ones had a number of translation problems. I think there's a website cataloging them somewhere; I'll have to look again later.

--"And really, I think that's where it should be shown. "

That's the right demographic for it. I don't know why it would need to be moved to a later slot.

--"The protaganist (the little girl) really annoyed me and I couldn't identify with her,"

I've seen much worse, but yeah, Shima-chan isn't the main reason to keep watching. It's an okay show overall, but nothing really special.

--"A couple of the new series airing in Japan that I found worthwhile"

I've heard of those two, but I'm not too interested in them. You'll have to tell me if they turn out good.

--"Oh, and are the DVDs for Twelve Kingdoms any good?"

The series is great. The DVDs have a problem at the moment, in that they've encoded all the sound as mono instead of stereo. MB has owned up to the problem, finally, and are going to replace them, so it's probably worth waiting a bit until this gets straightened out (this same issue is delaying their Figure 17 release). Other than that, they're pretty good.

--"Wow, that list of edits makes me feel like I wasted my time watching "Outlaw Star" on Cartoon Network."

Heh. Yeah, that's one of the ones that got cut.

But if you want to feel really bad, watch either Cardcaptors (note: no, not Card Captor Sakura) or the version of Escaflowne that got shown on Fox...

Wraith
                        "Hello, I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounter is true and by true, I mean false. Its all lies. But they're entertaining lies, and in the end isn't that the real truth? The answer is no."
                        -- Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Well, my class is halfway through FLCL. I think they like it, but are having trouble understanding what's going on. I admit, I was clueless when I first watched it (Of course, I started from Episode 3, which didn't help), but the DVDs give so much information it becomes quite easy to figure out. The director's commentary is great.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

You're taking a class that involves anime? Where do you go to school?

Comment

I'm teaching a class that involves anime.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I really like the confusingness of FLCL

my freind actually liked it a lot whlie it was confusing, and not so much afterwards

Jon Miller
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                                X