No announcement yet.

Anime Apolyton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't it weird that I watched more anime in America than I do now in Japan?

Anime is boring. now.

My friend forced me to watch ghost in the shell stand alone complex, because he wanted to convince me there are still good animes out there. Wow that series was pretty... boring. Well maybe its not but I couldnt engage myself to pay attention, so I wouldnt know.

I like the opening theme though.

Drake, you're in japan? You MUST goto a local arcade! Watch them play games such as VF4 Evo and Soul calibur II. Its inhuman I tell ya.
    :-p

Comment

Nah. In Japan you're supposed to be reading manga, not watching anime. ^_^

ur right Wraith, when's the next vol of berserk coming out!?
      :-p

Comment

Drake, you're in japan? You MUST goto a local arcade! Watch them play games such as VF4 Evo and Soul calibur II. Its inhuman I tell ya.

Already been. The big game right now is a taiko drum game, where you play the drums to match a pre-recorded song. Like DDR, but with a drum. Pretty fun.

F-Zero is in the arcades here as well and it is awesome. I can't wait to get this game for my Gamecube.

Poor you. An inquisitive mind is a curse!

Tell me about it.

Now, now. This is an anime thread. You must talk about anime. Or else the cute little girl is going to cry (and blow up the world).

Sorry. The threadjack ends here (I hope).
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

--"Anime is boring. now."

Depends what you like. I'm not too impressed by the current season running in Japan (although Read or Die TV certainly has promise, and there were a couple recent shows that are pretty good, like Kino no Tabi and Twelve Kingdoms). Still, they throw up stuff like Azumanga Daioh and Haibane Renmei from time to time, so it's worth it to keep watching.

--"ur right Wraith, when's the next vol of berserk coming out!?"

I think the answer is "any time now" ^_^ I'm not sure of the exact date, but it's been about three months since the last volume.

--"Sorry. The threadjack ends here (I hope)."

Heh. Not like the thread is hopping anyway. May as well go on with the threadjack if you want.

Wraith
          A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking

Comment

I watched the first two eps of the Read or Die OVA. For some reason, I couldn't get into the story, even though the characters seemed to be at least three dimensional. Maybe it was the mood I was in.

Anyway, since I wasn't having any fun, I stopped watching the series about halfway through the second ep.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Also, I watched Kenshin OVA 1 (Reminisence) and it is downright beautiful. An amazing prelude to the TV series.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I was just getting into Rurouni Kenshin when I left America. Maybe I should look for it here...
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

--"For some reason, I couldn't get into the story"

Well, it's an action series. The story isn't the most important part ^_^ How could you give it up after the glider chase?
                  I still say that's one of the most unique superpowers I've ever seen.

--"Also, I watched Kenshin OVA 1 (Reminisence) and it is downright beautiful."

Yes, I quite liked the OVAs. I haven't been anywhere near as fond of what I've seen of the TV series, unfortunately. I think the more serious tone works very well for the setting, and the TV series just goes too goofy for the main story. Still, I haven't seen the Kyoto arc, which is supposed to be the best part.

--"Maybe I should look for it here..."

I don't know how much luck you'll have. Japan, from what I hear, isn't big on reruns of stuff like this.

Edit:
                  Hey, what do you know? Media Blasters owned up to their audio problems. Unfortunately, I doubt they can afford to replace all the ones they messed up, but hopefully we'll at least not see the problem on new discs.

Wraith
                  "The first gift you gave me was death."
                  -- Tomoe ("Rurouni Kenshin")
                  Last edited by Wraith; September 17, 2003, 07:59.

Comment

Wraith, I think you're being strangely reserved about NGE. Face it, the show is a masterpiece and the scenes, especially around the middle, contain tremendous emotional power and punch.

And the art is tremendous. All the shots of tokyo three - loved them.
                    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                    Drake Tungsten
                    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                    Albert Speer

Comment

I agree that NGE rocked

FLCL is better though (as is Bebop)

Jon Miller
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Well, it's an action series. The story isn't the most important part ^_^ How could you give it up after the glider chase?
                        Yes, yes, I know. I could tell that it was a well made series, but I guess the story is the most important part for me. Maybe I was too impatient to let the story develop. I guess I'll never know.

Yes, I quite liked the OVAs. I haven't been anywhere near as fond of what I've seen of the TV series, unfortunately. I think the more serious tone works very well for the setting, and the TV series just goes too goofy for the main story. Still, I haven't seen the Kyoto arc, which is supposed to be the best part.
                        Since the TV series is so long, the goofiness is required about every fifth episode to break up the tension. Otherwise, you get too tired watching (at least in marathon fashion). Perhaps they could have been a little less hamhanded about the comedy.

Comment

Perhaps, Jon Miller (I'm not sure I agree, I think it's a tough call) but in my mind, you've just compared the three best anime series that I've seen.
                          Drake Tungsten
                          Albert Speer

Comment

--"Wraith, I think you're being strangely reserved about NGE."

It's a good show, but it does have its flaws. There is some great directing, but it takes itself a bit too seriously at times (and not seriously enough at others; dance like you want to win!). The two episodes are a turn off for a lot of people who weren't expecting that.
                            It's a good show, but it won't be to everyone's tastes. I don't know what anime David likes, so it makes sense to be at least a little hesitant in the recommendations.

--"Maybe I was too impatient to let the story develop. I guess I'll never know."

Heh. It's only three episodes. Still, the story is pretty basic. The standard "super villian wants to destroy mankind and must be stopped by super heros". It has its moments, though, and Yomiko is one of my favorite anime characters.

--" Perhaps they could have been a little less hamhanded about the comedy"

That would have been nice, yes ^_^

Hasn't anybody else in here seen any Haibane Renmei yet?

Wraith
                            "Can't we just break the shell with a hammer or something?"
                            -- Kana ("Haibane Renmei")

Comment

Hasn't anybody else in here seen any Haibane Renmei yet?
                              I have seen just the first epidode, but seems to be good.
                              The scene when she gets her wings was a bit weird but everything else was normal.
                              The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

Heheh, dance like you want to win was hilarious and brilliantly done...
                                Drake Tungsten
                                Albert Speer

Comment

Working...
                                X