Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anime Apolyton

Zenryaku,

It's not quite time once again for another Anime Apolyton, but I'll be out of town (way out of town) next weekend and the one after that, so I better get this up while I have a chance.

Not much in the way of new licenses to be talking about right now, but that's not surprising since the main con season is pretty much over.
    Most of the excitement (as far as licensing goes) is on the manga front. Del Ray has decided to enter the manga market, and has picked up the licenses for Gundam Seed a few CLAMP titles. The manga market must be really picking up steam for a publisher like Del Ray to get involved.

Viz has somewhat retracted their comments about licensing the anime version of Hikaru no Go. It seems likely that they have licensed it, but aren't anywhere near ready to release it, so they've had to backpedal for now. No change on the manga, however, so it should be out before long.

Speaking of manga, ADV's put out the first volume of Azumanga Daioh. Sounds like they're doing a decent job so far, although they're over-localizing things. Much of the humor of Azumanga Daioh is very rooted in Japanese culture, so this could be a problem. Still, giving Osaka a Brooklyn accent was probably about as good as that little gag could get.

There's a few recent or upcoming US anime releases I want to mention again.

The first is Haibane Renmei. The first disc is out, the next is out in October. If you're curious, there's a multiple page article in the September issue of Animerica. This issue also has a multi page interview with series creator yo****oshi ABe.

Animation Runner Kuromi is a short OVA that covers the making of an episode of an anime for TV broadcast. Kuromi is the nickname of the main character, a new hire at Petit Studio who turns up on her first day only to be given control over the production of the episode.... which is way behind schedule.

His and Her Circumstances is almost complete, although I've heard something about the last DVD being delayed. There was a bit of a problem with this series, as Gainax apparently sent Right Stuf an edited version of the show, blanking out one scene and replacing a recap episode with a completely different recap episode.

For the Cardcaptor Sakura fans, the series is nearing it's finale. Pioneer has also started putting out details of the second movie.

Also in US anime news, it seems Media Blasters has been having encoding problems lately. A large number of their recent DVDs (including Twelve Kingdoms) have turned out to have mono audio instead of stereo. So far the only public statement on the matter they've issued has pretty much claimed there's no problem and it's everyone's equipment that's at fault. They've always had problems with DVD encoding, but now they're turning into another US Manga.

On the Japanese side, Scrapped Princess is pretty much complete. This one hasn't been announced as licensed yet, but I'll be surprised if it takes much longer (if it isn't already licensed). This one's about a girl, the Scrapped Princess, who is prophecied to destroy the world if she lives to turn sixteen. The king orders her death, of course, but it didn't quite happen and now she's almost sixteen. She's protected by her foster brother and sister.

Uchuu no Stellvia is another one that's been enjoyable. Kind of a cross between Battle Athletes and Gunbusters. A (relatively) nearby supernova did a great deal of damage to the Earth in the past. Now things have rebuilt, and the story takes place on Stellvia, one of the space foundations. These foundations were put in place to guard the solar system from the upcoming Second Wave; the physical matter from the supernova.

Read or Die TV started running recently. It's based on the Read or Dream sequel series to the Read or Die mangas. In this story, Yomiko has gone missing, and Nenene has been looking for her. While in Hong Kong as part of a book signing tour, someone tries to kill Nenene. She ends up involved with the Three Sister's Detective Agency, which is composed of three sisters who are all Paper Masters. Just as action packed as the OVAs, although the budget isn't on the same scale.

I think that pretty much covers things for now. As always, questions, comments, and suggestions welcome.

Wraith
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    -- Napoleon Bonaparte

has anybody heard anything about himiko den? i ran into the theme song, and absolutely adore it. now i'm curious to whether the show itself is decent or not.
    B♭3

Comment

--"has anybody heard anything about himiko den?"

I hadn't before, but some quick research revealses that it was based on a Playstation game. Some kind of fantasy adventure show. Shows based on video games are generally pretty bad, so the odds are pretty long on it being a good one.

Wraith
      Reality corrupts. Absolute reality corrupts absolutely

Comment

aww, don't tell me that. the theme song "pure snow" is amazingly good!

B♭3

Comment

I just saw jin-roh for the first time two nights ago. It was pretty good, I thought. A bit heavy, and plodding at times, but the characters were good. I think that I'll like it more as time goes on.
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

Isn't it weird that I watched more anime in America than I do now in Japan? Come to think of it, I haven't watched any TV in weeks...
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

--"aww, don't tell me that. the theme song "pure snow" is amazingly good!"

Yeah, could be, but that doesn't say anything about the series. I've got the soundtrack to Noir and will not be buying the DVDs, for instance.

--"I just saw jin-roh for the first time two nights ago."

That's one of my favorites. Not that there a lot of stand-alone anime movies in the US for it to compete with.

--"Isn't it weird that I watched more anime in America than I do now in Japan?"

Nah. In Japan you're supposed to be reading manga, not watching anime. ^_^

Wraith
              I don't want children exposed to censorship - is there a chip for that?

Comment

What are y'all's opinions on Evangelion? My roommate wants me to watch it, but I dunno...
                Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have been watching the fansub for Last Exile and can recommend the series heartily. So far an 8 or 9. I think it was just released on Japanese TV this year. The setting (fantasy world in an industrial age) is quite good. The story line and characters are excellent. They lay out only a little bit of information at a time. The only bad thing I can say about it is that the characters' emotions and motivations get muddled about 2/3rd of the way through. For instance, the protaganist gets kissed by a crown princess, while being torn in two directions by a separate pair of competing love interests. We'll see if they get cleared up by the end.

It's a CGI anime, that looks very natural. Anamorphic widescreen (originally broadcast in HD?), so it's best to get the DVDs, if you've got the moolah. The DVDs look like they're going to be expensive for only one or two eps apiece, however. Coming in November to the States.

Isn't it weird that I watched more anime in America than I do now in Japan?
                  What brought you to Japan? Work? Family? Wanderlust?
                  Last edited by DanS; September 14, 2003, 21:30.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

--"What are y'all's opinions on Evangelion? My roommate wants me to watch it, but I dunno..."

It's one of the major titles. It made a big impact on the US anime scene, so it'd be a good idea to watch it at some point if you're into anime. Just because it's one of those shows that has been widely viewed and discussed.

It's a pretty good show, too. Not the best I've seen, but pretty solid. It has all the trappings of a mecha adventure show, and the first half or so of the series will pretty much seem like it, but it isn't. It's more about mecha pilots, and all the main characters are pretty messed up. You may get tired of Shinji, who whines a lot, but the others make up for him.

Art and animation aren't anything special. Some good mecha design, but most of the animation budget is focused on the action scenees (as it should be). Do be prepared for some good direction; I say be prepared because it's something not typical of most Western movies/shows. Anno uses stillness and silence a lot, and there's one notable scene that's nothing more than two of the characters riding in an elevator, motionless and silent, for something like a minute. Music is pretty good, and leans heavily on classical pieces.

The last two episodes of the series will probably confuse you. Make sure to also watch End of Evangelion.

--"I have been watching the fansub for Last Exile"

I've seen a couple episodes of this, but it's Studio Gonzo. They're famous for screwing up their endings. It's been licensed by Pioneer, so it'll be on DVD here before too long.

--"(originally broadcast in HD?)"

Not sure about Last Exile in specific, but it's likely. Anime has started to shift heavily towards the HD formats.

Wraith
                    Either I've been missing something or nothing has been going on

Comment

What brought you to Japan? Work? Family? Wanderlust?

Mainly a desire to learn the language combined with a longtime sense of wanderlust.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Mainly a desire to learn the language combined with a longtime sense of wanderlust.
                        Well, at least it's not a tonal language like Mandarin!
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Well, at least it's not a tonal language like Mandarin!

Mandarin is next on the list... (sigh)

It shouldn't be that bad, however. The tones will be the only hard part, as I should have a decent handle on remembering characters by then and the grammar in Mandarin is super easy. Don't want to get ahead of myself, though; still have a ways to go on Japanese.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Poor you. An inquisitive mind is a curse!

Comment

Now, now. This is an anime thread. You must talk about anime. Or else the cute little girl is going to cry (and blow up the world).

Wraith
                              Be nice to me, or I just might develop psychokinetic power and destroy Tokyo!

Comment

Working...
                              X