Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

20th Century - 21st Century Transitions??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20th Century - 21st Century Transitions??

Is the world society in any kind of historical transition right now from an earlier era, to a newer era?

Or do we overuse the concept of dividing human history into different eras? Are they too simplistic, or arbitrary to use?

If I could be permitted though to speak of historical eras, I have a question -- what significant differences have arisen from what the early 1990's were like (1990 - 1994) compared to early 21st century (2001 - 2003)?

In that short amount of time -- basically only a decade or less, can historians or sociologists really say that there has been significant changes in . . . .

technology (Internet use, cell phones, etc.)?

international relations between any countries?

world economy/trade?

space exploration?

possible fuel alternatives/innovations?

increasing mainstream inclusion of non-heterosexuals in all parts of world?

Is United States in the early beginning of a change in its world position?

Is the European Union and its assembled countries in the early beginning of a change in its/their world position?

Or anything else that you can think of that has significantly changed from within only this past decade or so?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

increasing mainstream inclusion of non-heterosexuals in all parts of world?
    Whudathunk?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Hard to say Ben -- Canada and other Western countries have made more progress than United States with this issue.

But then again, recently United States political leaders finally realized that right to privacy should not be determined by sexual orientation.

BUT then again, there's an anti-gay proposal that was brought forth recently.

But then again . . . .

ah, never mind for now.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

But then again, recently United States political leaders finally realized that right to privacy should not be determined by sexual orientation.
        Yep. Ashcroft thinks no one should have a right to privacy.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

I love doing the bump dance . . .

Comment

And I love doing the un-bump thump, if you know what I mean?

Give it a little more than a couple of hours.
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
              And I love doing the un-bump thump, if you know what I mean?

Give it a little more than a couple of hours.
              Ok -- maybe everyone is busy preparing for this topic's discussion by gathering reference material?

Comment

MrFun

i think that the biggest factor of change between 1990 and 2003 is the rise of globalization which in my opinion came about because of the following factors

*fall of the Soviet Union, which allowed the USA to become the only significant world power in every sphere (technological, cultural, militarily etc.)
                *rapid advances in communication technology which in my opinion, shattered the monolithic consumer but replaced it with standardized niche markets all across the globe, i think poly is a good example
                *more markets to trade in led to greater competition and a corporate arms race of M&A's...in every market there are fewer big players that compete all across the world

Comment

good points, korn

Comment

You guys are no fun.

Comment

have fun with that.

but i'm going with korn on this one, the rise of communication / information technology is the biggest. that, and home PCs are much more common, giving the "common man" more access to information et al.
                      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Are there any significant societal changes that have occured over the past decade?

Comment

With the collapse of Communism, and subsequent rise of American power has come anti-American sentiment. I think this has lead to many problems throughout the world, as well as many solutions... The EU rise to glory, terrorism, and UN woes. Causing the US to focus, or pay more attention to third world nations and psycho Koreans with nuclear weapons.
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X