No announcement yet.

Pray all you want, but

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once again, a case where Man doesn't use that which separates him from other animals, logic and reasoning.
    God's just sitting there saying, "Mmm mmm mmm".
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I think I would have a hard time saving myself and knowing my kids were in there. Maybe the man was swept out of the car and couldn't return but he has some explaining to do as far as I am concerned. But, this story reminds me of an incident over the Rock Mountains when an airplane was having engine problems and was heading down. The pilot asked the co-pilot to do something and he noticed he was praying. Anyway they made it back safely. When I was told this story by the chief pilot of the company we worked for I said; "Well maybe his prayers were answered??" He said he hadn't thought of that.

Comment

The pilot asked the co-pilot to do something and he noticed he was praying. Anyway they made it back safely. When I was told this story by the chief pilot of the company we worked for I said; "Well maybe his prayers were answered??" He said he hadn't thought of that.
        I'd put my money on the pilot who was trying to fly the plane, if I'm under the knife I don't want to look up and see my doctor praying.

Comment

You assume he would save only himself.
          No effort was made, of any kind.

What's his life insurance situation ?
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Impressive.I dont think i can feel sorry for someone like that the fault was all his own.
            Devout Believer of the Invisible Pink unicorn

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln
              The pilot asked the co-pilot to do something and he noticed he was praying. Anyway they made it back safely. When I was told this story by the chief pilot of the company we worked for I said; "Well maybe his prayers were answered??" He said he hadn't thought of that.
              I guess the folks on TWA 800, AA 273, AA 265, etc. just didn't pray hard enough, huh?

This man should be charged with reckless endangerment and manslaughter. His kids would be alive had he had a ****ing clue!
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Actually, Hannibal Lector collected newspaper articles about disasters that happened to full churches. So he wasn't mistaken for Carlin... they just have the same interests.

Comment

If I was a Prosecutor I'd nail this moron's ass, no doubt. There was no criminal intent, so involuntary manslaughter would have to apply. Unfortunetly he'd get peanuts for this.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                    Actually, Hannibal Lector collected newspaper articles about disasters that happened to full churches. So he wasn't mistaken for Carlin... they just have the same interests.
                    I knew it rang a bell. But I was also reminded of Voltaire, too...

I have no idea who George Carlin is.

And Berzerker- unknot your knickers fer crissakes, I wasn't accusing you of deriving enjoyment from the demise of the children. I'm just glad to see you support the right of someone to hold to their faith- even when it means the death of others.
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

I guess the folks on TWA 800, AA 273, AA 265, etc. just didn't pray hard enough, huh?
                      I don't remember saying or implying that. Nor did I say that the co-pilot's prayers were answered. I repeated a story told to me. Sometimes the answer to prayer is no.

Comment

Which would still beg the question as to why certain individual's prayers are meriting a "yes," and certain a "no," especially when the lives of possibly hundreds of others are also in the balance. I'd like to think any answerer of prayers wouldn't be so arbitrary...
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Well I have never though of God as a genie who must give us everything we want. i don't think that anyone, for example, wants their mother to die and I would suppose that most people who believe in God would pray that she would not die. But all those prayers are obviously not answered. That does not make God cruel. Death and suffering are part of this life. There is no promise that God will keep everyone alive.

Comment

Even if I were a theist, I'd have a hard time believing God answers any prayers. What's willed is willed, and the omnipotent, omniscient creator of everything is both incapable of changing its mind, and also has no interest in playing favorites with its beings.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Well actually I agree with you to some extent. I am pretty much a fatalist myself.

Comment

Molly -
                                And Berzerker- unknot your knickers fer crissakes, I wasn't accusing you of deriving enjoyment from the demise of the children. I'm just glad to see you support the right of someone to hold to their faith- even when it means the death of others.
                                Molly, you accused someone of deriving amusement from this incident and I asked who you were targeting with that accusation - and you still haven't answered (how brave). And given that last bit about me supporting a right to have faith even when it kills others is just as idiotic as your first accusation (I see you don't use quotes, what a surprise) - just go away and take your bullsh!t with you.

Comment

Working...
                                X