Pray all you want, but

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pray all you want, but

it won't do any good if you leave your brain sitting in the pews.

Case in point: recently NE Kansas was hit by a flurry of thunderstorms and flash floods. Several people drowned along a stretch of I-35 (the Kansas Turnpike), but the unfortunate reality is that a woman and her 3 (or4?) children who drowned didn't have to die. Before their minivan was swept from the road, the husband, wife, and children were in the van as the waters rose when a man tapped on the window offering assistance. The husband declined the offer telling the rescuer they'd pray instead.

FOR WHAT? HELP? The man was there to HELP!!!

Contrast that with another motorist trapped in the rising waters. An elderly woman - 79 years old - was assisted by another man (who ended up drowning himself helping others) and brought to safety. She prayed too, and behold, her prayer was heard and she was brought to safety.

You know, with all the people who die in this world every day, I just can't muster much sympathy for imbeciles who die because of their own stupidity, but far too often, they end up taking others with them. These children died because their parents left their brains at church...

During a press conference, the praying husband who did eventually escape the minivan while his family did not, lamented the incident adding that he hoped something good would come from the tragedy. Yeah, the next time you're in trouble use the brain God gave you!

This should be submitted to the Darwin Awards
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

That is very sad -- tragic.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Berz isn't trolling for once.

This is sad though.

Comment

Wasn't it Hannibal Lecter who amused himself by reading accounts of congregations killed in churches during natural disasters?
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Big to the parents. When in danger, save your life. Do your prayers later, when you have time
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

That was part of George Carlin's routine, but Molly, this wasn't about a tornado hitting a church on Sunday, it was quite avoidable. And aside from David's comment about the Darwin Awards (obviously only applicable to the adults), who is "amused"?

Comment

This isn't amusing at all, it really is tragic.

It's also ridiculous to the point of humorous, if you ignore the fact that people died.
                Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom
                  Wasn't it Hannibal Lecter who amused himself by reading accounts of congregations killed in churches during natural disasters?
                  That was part of George Carlin's routine
                  George Carlin confused with Hannibal Lecter...he often deserves it
                  "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                  ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                  "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

This year I knew of two people who drowned saving someone else.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

How exactly was the arseho man saved and why not his family???
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Erm... well... this only reminds me of a mind strikingly similar joke.

During a flood a religious jew refused to evacuate his house when the police came. "I will pray to God and He will rescue me" he replied, and locked himself inside.

As the water levels rose, and the water covered the first floor of the house, a group of rescuers reached his window by boat and offered to save him. "No need. I will pray to God and He will rescue me" he replied again, and closed the window.

After the water levels began reached the top floor, the religious jew went on top of the roof. A group of rescuers on a helicopter arrived to offer him assistance. "No, go away. I am praying to God and I am positive he will save me" replied the religious jew again, and declined their offer of help.

Finally the water level rose and the jew drowned and went to heaven. When he reached heaven, he walked towards God and asked: "Tell me, I've been a worshipper and a just man all of my life. I've followed all the laws, did good deeds, and celebrated my faith in you. In this one time I put my life in your hands, and rely on your heavenly assistance, and you let me die like that? What's that all about?"

"Hey look - you have free will." God answered him. "At first I sent you warning with the police which you ignored, then I sent the boat to recover you, but you declined. When you finally turned down the helicpoter I sent for you, I thought you were a lost case."

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
                          Erm... well... this only reminds me of a mind strikingly similar joke.

During a flood a religious jew refused to evacuate his house when the police came. "I will pray to God and He will rescue me" he replied, and locked himself inside.

Always a good joke. I think I'll see some more of that in the next few days, as the forecast said to expect some floods here as well, especially with this city's faulty sewers.
                          The monkeys are listening.

Comment

Siro,

My thoughts exactly (except replace all instances of "Jew" with "Christian.")
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I guess you gotta hate someone.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X