Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going to see the Dali Lama tomorrow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as JW is aware of that, I don't see a problem.
    Well, something we can agree upon.

I still think it would be better to actually go to a buddhist site.

Is a reasonable preposition in opposition to an irrational adverb?
    You tell me, Mr. Grammer Nazi.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Well, all of a sudden, I'm an expert of buddhism? I don't have enough experience to critique their analysis.

Objective? Right.

I'm not going to jack the thread. I have major reservations that religioustolerance.org will provide correct information given their coverage of Christianity.

If I'm trying to learn more about a religion, I go to a site supported by the members of said religion. That seems to me a reasonable preposition.
      Seems to me religioustolerance.org would be more objective than a website run by that particular religion.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

But I don't think JW wants an objective postion. Wouldn't he prefer the truth?
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

"But I don't think JW wants an objective postion. Wouldn't he prefer the truth? "

"mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar Warrior
            I am particularly curious about how they decide who the next Dali Lama will be. IIRC they pick them when they're really little.
            As the reigning one is dying, he gives indications on who his next incarnation will be, and the monks will go set out searching for the boy. There are some tests to be done to verify whether the boy found is the right one. Finally, the central government has the final say on whether the kid is actually the Dali Lama or not.

The same applies to other Lamas such as the Panchen Lama as well.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Yep. as UR said.

The Incarnation of the Lama then is normally taken away from the Parents and raised in a monastery, to again learn the Duties he had to do in his last Incarnation, while its Parents ae financialy eimbursed for the Loss of their Child.
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Although I am particularly curious about how they decide who the next Dali Lama will be.

To elaborate on UR's post, IIRC, the selected toddlers are shown a number of objects, including one that belonged to the former lama. If the toddler grasps at the former lama's posession, it "proves" he is the re-incarnation of that lama.

Sure, it's kooky, but no kookier than the Miracle of Transubstantiation!
                Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Working...
                X