No announcement yet.

Saudi police say Barbie dolls are a "Jewish toy" and a threat to morality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But as long as it's sold on the global market then it will lower our prices and they simply MUST sell or they go bankrupt.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

If the US no longer buys from the Saudis, how does that affect global demand and supply?
      “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

As you said China buys from them so China does not buy from someone else. It's all about global supply and as long as the Saudis are selling to someone then global supply is increasing.

Comment

You assume in increase in Saudi output. But we're mostly talking about a change in supply patterns, where (in this example) China and the US switch suppliers.
          “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
            But as long as it's sold on the global market then it will lower our prices and they simply MUST sell or they go bankrupt.
            They don't have to sell as much as they do.
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

You're right. But I remember reading an article in Forbes earlier this year which said the Saudis are having major budget problems as a result of a population that is mostly under 20, big subisides they put on food & energy, and the falling price of oil. These guys NEED to sell oil to someone.

Comment

These guys NEED to sell oil to someone.
                What about the East Asians ? With the booming economies and the huge population, I suppose their demand for oil is skyrocketing ...
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

It doesn't matter if we buy from someone else, the Saudis would stil ultimately gain. It would help, however, if we decreased our use of oil.
                  "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

I am agreeing with Ramo? Dear lord the writting must truly be on the wall. We need to find ways to decrease our dependence upon oil, especially foreign oil, and it is clear Bush will not do this.

Comment

You're right. But I remember reading an article in Forbes earlier this year which said the Saudis are having major budget problems as a result of a population that is mostly under 20, big subisides they put on food & energy, and the falling price of oil. These guys NEED to sell oil to someone.
                      They surely depend on their oil. But they usually produce 10-15 % of the global output, and have 25 % of the world's reserves. And with spare capacity are the key swing producer. So unless you find a way to reduce global demand by/find alternative sources for 400 million tons per year, you won't but the Saudis dry. What is happening is the opposite, US import needs will grow sharply.

Comment

The Saudi royal family are some of the richest people in the world , yet the people they rule live impoverished. These royals (like leaders in many other Islamic countries) use religion to divert the publics attention onto foreign "enemies" and away from their lack of basic freedoms, services, and sustenance. How long before the people rise up and destroy these royals and seize control of government?

Comment

Minimum Wage

If you look at the minimum wage thread, you will find a lot of the same things being said of capitalist countries.
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

OK, a new question. If you were in a position of authority how would you deal with the Saduis?

Comment

I would do everything but force them to change, as fundamentally and objectively its a case of "to each his own".

Military action? Begone cretin.

At the end of the day, let them do what they want, but economically speaking, there are, and will be consequences.

We should also consider that oil-producing societies tend to be rather unstable, particularly if that is their major industry. That is Iraq is doomed even if we don't **** it up, a prospect that is looking increasingly likely .

*elijah prepares another salvo of weed bombs*
                              "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                              "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

If you were in a position of authority how would you deal with the Saduis?
                                Encourage the build-up of two more swing producers: Russia and Iraq. Encourage liquid natural gas imports as a fuel alternative. Encourage technology and infrastructure building for fuel alternatives.
                                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                                X