America's clean-shaven presidency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America's clean-shaven presidency

I've seen threads on 'Poly contemplate when or whether the US will see a black, or female, or gay, or non-Christian president. Now it's time to take on the really important question: will Americans ever again elect a man with facial hair? Consider the historical record:

1789-1869 (Washington-A. Johnson): 17 presidents, none with facial hair (I'm including Lincoln here because he only grew the beard once in office)

1869-1913, the "Hairy Hiatus" (Grant-Taft): 9 Presidents, 8 with facial hair (4 with full beards, 4 with moustaches; only McKinley remained beard and/or moustache-free).

1913-present (Wilson-GW Bush): 16 presidents, no facial hair (though moustachioed Thomas Dewey got close in 1948).

I sit here stroking my beard and I ask: Will my kind ever be returned to power?
    No
    42.86%
    Yes, someone with a proud Lincoln-esque beard
    7.14%
    Yes, someone with a proud, Village People-esque moustache
    14.29%
    Yes, someone with a proud hipster-doofus goatee
    14.29%
    Banana
    21.43%
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

"Hairy Hiatus"

Generally refers to a dry period of beards, hiatus:

/me checks dictionary.

'break or gap in a series or sequence.'

Looks like the joke is on me.

As for the beards, would you trust a man with one over one without?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by obiwan18

As for the beards, would you trust a man with one over one without?
      I doubt it would make any difference. But I was back in the US recently and was struck by the fact that lots of guys sport beards, moustaches, and goatees these days; yet when you look at our leading politicians, none do. Seems strange...
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I just read about this in some danish magazine today... let's see if I remember right...

Ever since WW2, most of the enemies of USA have had a leader with a beard* (Hitler, Hussain, etc), and USA don't want to end up having a leader like those, so they do everything they can to avoid them

* Don't remember the english word: That beard hanging between the nose and the mouth
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

The word you're looking for is "moustache." That's a pretty interesting analysis. Let's see: Hitler, Tojo (I think), Stalin, Castro, Ho Chi Mihn, Osama, Saddam...could be!

Comment

I think that Somali Muhammed Farah Aidid had a beard too. Not to mention Ayatolla Khomeini. But Khadaffi or the Panama "Pinapple Face" had none, had they?
            So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
            Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Never trust a man with a moustache.

Always leave your moustache with a woman.
              ACK!

Seriously though, McKinley was the only one in the hairy hiatus that was shot..... Was that because he was beardless? History demands to know!
              Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Knevil
                Never trust a man with a moustache.

Always leave your moustache with a woman.
                ACK!

Seriously though, McKinley was the only one in the hairy hiatus that was shot..... Was that because he was beardless? History demands to know!
                Alas, fond as I am of a good conspiracy theory, it's not so; full-bearded James Garfield was also assassinated.

Still, they were both succeeded by men with moustaches....hmmm...

Comment

I always thought there were two evil societies controlling us, the all-powerful bearded Illuminatti and the moustached, sinister Knights Templar. They battle for the world.

FIGHT THE MACHINE
                  Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

Many black leaders in US have/had facial hair. MLK, Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton...
                    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

AL SHAPRTON FRO PRESIDNET!
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

NO!

DENNIS!
                        "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                        "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

mainstream culture after ww1 shifted away from facial hair because all the soldiers had to shave it off (gas masks for mustard gas etc). when the clean shaven soldiers came home, all the women swooned over them (as usually happens) and lack of facial hair became the norm.

politicans are always living in the previous 5 decades, so there you go.
                          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

/me waits for the Hillary Clinton jokes

Fair enough, she doesn't have facial hair, but why let a few facts get in the way of the sexist mudslinging.:P
                            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                            X