Power out in NY and elsewhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• that's not true Imran

No, that's 100% true, Sava . The biggest subsidy people in Congress are Gephart and Dachle. Farm subsidies and ethanol subsidies are huge issues for Midwestern Democrats to back. You just can't say that's false without being thought a bigger idiot that you already are .

Democracts = Organized Labor interests--- the little guy

I guess I'll have to tell Davis, Gore, and the other Dems to leave the party because of all the Enron money they took . I guess the trial lawyers are also the 'little guy', huh?

I know that having people who are INFORMED about reality stifles your party's attempts at keeping people ignorant.

If that's true, I've yet to meet anyone from your side who we can call 'informed' .
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• i just got my power back an hour ago, making it about 26 hours without poly. sheesh.
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

• Hey, I got my power back around 4 this morning, but we didn't get internet back till about an hour ago.
        Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          No, that's 100% true, Sava . The biggest subsidy people in Congress are Gephart and Dachle. Farm subsidies and ethanol subsidies are huge issues for Midwestern Democrats to back. You just can't say that's false without being thought a bigger idiot that you already are .
          Yes, and their subsidies go to small farmers... Republican supported subsidies (which are larger) go to corporations. Get a clue.

I guess I'll have to tell Davis, Gore, and the other Dems to leave the party because of all the Enron money they took . I guess the trial lawyers are also the 'little guy', huh?
          Big deal. Enron gave money to everyone. But they gave MORE to Bush. In fact, they were the largest presidential campaign contributor of all time in 2000 with the money they gave Bush.

If that's true, I've yet to meet anyone from your side who we can call 'informed' .
          And that's the way Republicans work. They try to discredit their opposition instead of debating the issues. They call people opposed to the war "traitors and treasonous" rather than trying to prove their point. I'm just glad more people see through your bull**** than the people who believe it.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Yes, and their subsidies go to small farmers... Republican supported subsidies (which are larger) go to corporations.

Yes, Democrat subsidies go to small farmers . Unions only represent small farmers . Continue with your fantasy.

And that's the way Republicans work. They try to discredit their opposition instead of debating the issues.

You mean to say that you are a Republican then? I haven't seen you debate an issue since you've been here .

I'm just glad more people see the facts (which is why the Republicans control the government) rather than believe your lies and crap .
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• you are hopeless Imran... hopefully one day you will wake up... until then... I don't know what to say to you.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• FINALLY!

I got my power back by about 9am, but I have not been able to connect online until now..must have had problems with the local server.

Luckily I was in my building when this hapenned, so I did not have to figure out how to get back. My sister had to walk 180 blocks home.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Welcome back Ge
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Thanks.

The funny thing is that I went silent (as LoTM mentions) cause I left my computer and went to the gym, not cause of the blackout. The power went off in my area when I was in the gym.

After a while news got boring. The funny thing is that the only time I ever listen to radio is at emergency times (9/11, yesterday), but after a while even radio news get boring, speically since they don;t know what actually happened. At least tnohign really bad happened, though sleeping without AC was uncomfortable.
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• It sucked for people in subways and high-rise buildings like my dad... but all in all, it wasn't so bad.

A good story to tell people about.

I got pissed when Bloomberg compared this to 9/11... it affected more people in a physical way than 9/11 but still.... 9/11 was a tragedy! This was an inconvenience.... a shameless attempt to look like Rudy on his part.

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

• As said in the other thread, got power about 1/2 hour ago. 27+ hours without it.
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• hahah welcome back guys!!!

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• I had an interesting time of it in Bergen County...

Actually, it was a very scary experience for me at first because the power went out in the house, which apparently happens often since I've gone to college so I didn't think much of it at first. I figured it'd only last a second. After a few minutes, I called my mom and told her.

As I was telling her, the lights went out where she was.... and she's in the next county so I was really confused. Then she said she turned on the radio and there were no stations. I started getting worried because I remembered that on 9/11 the radio stations and tv stations were knocked out by the WTC being hit.

I was trying to think what the hell could've knocked out the power in two counties.... I had visions of a nuke or something, but that was obviously ridiculous since considering that I can see the Empire State Building from my house, any larger explosive device detonated in New York would be pretty obvious to me very fast...

the lights and appliances came back on, then went out again. Came back on, went back out... on and off two or three times before they stopped completely.

But nonetheless, I was worried... (and frustrated). My dad works in the city and I was concerned. I didn't realize the house line still worked since I tried to make a call on my house line and the phone didn't work, but that was because it was cordless. I said the hell with it, grabbed my wallet and went outside....

I started down towards downtown figuring I'd stop in at 7-11 and get a drink since it was so hot... stupid me however, I had no cash, only my ATM card. But A) I had no idea how bad this was and thought maybe it'd be solved by the time I got there, and B) I didn't know that these businesses didn't have back up generators, and C) I didn't really stop to think about it .

On my way to the 7-11, I saw a fire truck parked out in front of a building... I figured it had to be related. When I got closer, I overheard one of the firemen asking if they were supposed to be on stand by for further orders.

I also heard the fire horn? I guess its a horn... blowing alerting all of the fire stations in the area... (they had to, the station radios were out). They haven't used that thing in years... only to let people know when its 6 PM.

So I'm like "Alright, twenty minutes after the power goes out and they've got every fire department in the surrounding area on stand by... what the hell happened? Is this 9/11 all over again?"

I decided to walk down to the gas station I used to work in to see my old boss Tim. Lots of firemen and police officers come in there, so even with the radios and tvs dead, I knew he'd have the info. On the way, however, somebody had a portable radio blasting outside their house and I overheard the words "Niagara Power Station" and "not an act of terrorism". Which I didn't even need to know that last part once I knew it wasn't a bomb.

Anyway, so I went to the gas station anyway, and chatted for a bit. Then I headed up to Main Street.

About that time, I realized how useless my ATM card was. It was weird seeing the 7-11 dark in daylight... I mean it was BLACK inside in spite of the bright sunlight. By this point the downtown was choked with people on the sidewalks. All the store owners were outside, and people were playing... apparently, somebody had decided to open up with the hose because the street was soaked and there were a bunch of teen girls where were equally drenched...

It was cool... I wish everybody were so open normally! Normally the street is pretty dead.

I went to my friend's house which took me onto Route 46. I've never WALKED on Route 46 before but this was one time when I'd sure rather be walking than driving! What an absolute mess. It was backed up for MILES in both directions. I was easily getting ahead of the cars... and I actually had this little race going with some woman in the car next to me.

I went to Hackensack next once I had secured some wheels. We went to this pizza parlor and man, they were shooting out pizzas like crazy. As soon as one went in, another came out. They were doing GREAT business!

I dunno, I found something somewhat romantic about the whole thing... seeing how people get along when the fit hits the shan.

And let's give it up for the Police and Fire Departments! I know at least in Bergen County, the were ON THE BALL!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava
                              you are hopeless Imran... hopefully one day you will wake up... until then... I don't know what to say to you.
                              In others words "You win Imran".
                              ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                              ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• In other words "you are so immersed in your fantasy world that I won't waste my time arguing with you, Imran"
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X