No announcement yet.

Going to Paris soon, any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a lot of the Parisians are the hypernationalist Frenchies that want things like getting rid of the word "e-mail" etc. Most Frenchmen are, understandably, okay.

Avoid the snobby Frenchmen. Visit the tourist sites, go to museums, take in the city.

And yes, get a dictionary. Learn as much French as you can.
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
      Be sure to stick on your "I love Dubya" t-shirt... they're very popular in France, I hear.
      I didn't realize you hated Feephi so much that you wanted to get him killed.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

If looks could kill they'd certaintly will

Comment

An advice about France: Don't go!

So long...
          Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
          Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
          Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Why do you say that Pioneer Where's your cosmopolitanism?

Comment

Do you know any spanish? Avoid English at all costs!
              Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Comment

When walking Champs Elysee, take your most bravado voice and start singing: Allons enfants de la Patrieeee!

Nah really. I've been to Paris quite a few times. I've never had an unpleasant experience with French people. They were really helpful and friendly and charming. I spoke french to them of course.

IN PARIS, that is. NOT at the provinces. There they were either real, horrible hicks or very violent immigrants. No joking. Of couse I can't characterize all provencial french people. It was just my experience.
                But Paris has left me charmed.

paris, Paris combien, Paris tous que tu veut, boulvard de boulverses paris tu m'a renverse, paris tu m;a lesse sur ton paveeee and al that. Great city.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                  Avoid the snobby Frenchmen. Visit the tourist sites, go to museums, take in the city.

And yes, get a dictionary. Learn as much French as you can.

Why then should he learn the language if he avoids those evil Frenchmen?

Make some friends there!!! Maybe girl friends
                  Blah

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                    Why do you say that Pioneer Where's your cosmopolitanism?
                    Well, I've been too france a few times and each time it was a dissapointment. The french are just rude. Last year I was in Normandy with my wife and we toured Normandy. Surprise, surprise yu could not find one at any restaurant in Caen that would speak english, they did not have menus in english and besides the food being crappy it was expensive too. We wnet to an italian restaurant were pasta was excellent and we also ate Pizza Hut pizza just to be on the safe side . Besides that the hotel was also expensive and we only had trouble because the receptionist did not speak english well. I also met up with some english at some of the invasion beaches and they had similar experiences, upon which my wife said why did the allies even liberate them. It seems they do not appreciate it much these days.

On the other side the landscape was phenomenal, the history rich and the drive very interesting. I will visit the beaches again, maybe on an anniversary or something but for the moment I had enough of them.

So long....

PS: Couple weeks ago I heard that they officially banned the word email from all gov't documents!! Now they have their own word that has to be used. This is so typical frech that it makes me puke.
                    Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                    Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                    Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Entirely possible

I can only vouch for Paris and with the prerequisitive that one speaks french.

Comment

Walk up to a beautiful French woman and say:

Je pense que vous avez volé mon poulet.
                        "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                        Drake Tungsten
                        "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                        Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94

I think that you have stolen my chicken. ???????

Dang, my French is rusty.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

In Paris ???

The only "poulets" in Paris are the cops (yeah, that's how we call them sometimes - but they do not really appreciate it ).
                            "An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind" - Gandhi

Comment

Better yet say "Voici le stylo de ma tante"
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

You can follow that up with:

J'espere que vous dormirez avec moi ce soir. (did I get the futur tense right?)
                                "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                                Drake Tungsten
                                "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                                Albert Speer

Comment

Working...
                                X