No announcement yet.

Going to Paris soon, any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been to Paris two years ago and I have some advice to give you...

First, the historical center is really nice, but that's not where you're gonna save money. It's usually full of tourists and the restaurants know this.

Please, PLEASE go to La Chaumine Normande (22 rue du Moulin-des-Prés, 13th arr. Métro: Corvisart) It's a small restaurant (only 10 tables IIRC) and it's not really expensive. But they serve the best food I've tasted in my 10 days in Paris.
    You may also go to L'ami Marcel (33 rue Georges-Pitard, 15th arr. Métro Gaîté or Convention). A bit more expensive but still great.
    Both these restaurants are a bit farther from the center but are in neighborhoods worth a visit.

As for the touristy attractions, go to Notre-Dame and try to get in the Towers (Tip: Arrive EARLY), it's really worth it. The Sainte-Chapelle is probably the most impressive piece of artwork you'll ever see.
    You should buy a Museum card (Carte Musées et Monuments) for either 1-3 or 5 days. That way, you get to pass in front of everyone waiting in line to get into the museums, which means 2-3 hours at the Louvre and 2 hours minimum at Musée d'Orsay. It's even good for Versailles.

If you plan to stay in Paris one week, try to buy an orange card (Carte Orange). It gives you unlimited transports in the subway. Don't buy the touristy ones (Paris Visite, etc.) as it's basically the same thing with a 25% price increase.

That's about it. If you have specific questions, you can PM me if you want!

--Kon--
    Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

Why would any non French speaking person ever want to visit France with their attitude?

There is some very definitely wrong with the French.
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Well at least TRY to speak some french?

What would you say if somebody went to the USA and only spoke french and refused to do any try in english? You would probably be pissed.

This holds for every country in the world. You should at least try to speak the native language...

Comment

Konquest02, I'm sorry, but the French have a reputation that stands out in this regard.
          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by The Pioneer
            Last year I was in Normandy with my wife and we toured Normandy.
            [...]
            upon which my wife said why did the allies even liberate them. It seems they do not appreciate it much these days.
            You did not chose the most Englophile region of France.
            Many nothern french coastal regions dislike UK ("La perfide Albion") and everything that goes with it (language f.i.).
            This is just historical.
            Still today, they dislike everything that is, looks like, smells or speaks english.
            Some years ago, being an American was a lesser defect, but today...
            I have lived there for one year and indeed, I remember one of them who was sure that "those dam' Rossbeef, they purposely chose Normandy for their landing so they could bombard our houses !".

But there are better place for Brits. Next time, if you like sport, go to Saint-Malo and wave the Union Jack ... and then run for your life.

And remember: it is also because of this hate of the UK that they helped the US in their independance war.
            The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Ned, their reputation is a stereotype. You do realize that we are stereotyped as Americans as well, do you not?
              "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
              Drake Tungsten
              "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
              Albert Speer

Comment

Re: Going to Paris soon, any advice?

Going to Paris soon, any advice?
                Um... Surrender?

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
                  Ned, their reputation is a stereotype. You do realize that we are stereotyped as Americans as well, do you not?
                  That many French don´t like to speak english even if they are able to do is,
                  is the bitter truth, I even met other Students of Biology, during a Stay in Banyuls sur Mer to research the reproduction of marine Invertebrates, who were able to speak english, but refused to do it and rather had me trying to communicate with my limited abilities to speak french
                  A female Student of our Group however who was able to speak French fluently was always surrouned by Members of the French Group, they obviously liked people who can communicate well in their mother Language
                  Remembering the few times a Membert of the french Group was trying to speak English, I think it was better that they didn´t speak english more often

It is also a strange fact that the French Government actively takes steps to get rid of all anglicisms, the afore mentioned "Ordinateur" instead of PC or the Term "Courriel" instead of eMail

But of course you won´t be stoned, just because you´ll confess that you can´t speak french
                  (they´ll just know, that they can talk about you and defame you in your Presence without you knowing it, just by speaking french )
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I actually like the words ordinateur and courriel... I like them more than "PC" and "e-mail.

And I was refering to the stereotype of them being rude, not to the stereotype of them prefering to speak french which is, of course, true.
                    Drake Tungsten
                    Albert Speer

Comment

I'd like to clear things up a little...

Ordinateur has always been ordinateur... The French didn't use PC very much. PC means Personnal Computer and the french traduction of computer is ordinateur. It was that since the first one and I don't think it's gonna change...

As for email, the french tend to use that quite often. Here in Québec, since we're surrounded by anglophones (US and rest of Canada), we do extra efforts to save our language from total assimilation. Therefore, we coined the term courriel from courrier (mail) and électronique (well, you can guess what is that...) We've been using this for a while, but it is only this year that courriel made it's way to the dictionnary.

When I hear frenchmen speaking, I am horrified by the number of anglicism they use. Not because there's no word for it in french, just because they are too lazy to use them...

--Kon--

Comment

I actually like the words ordinateur and courriel... I like them more than "PC" and "e-mail.

And I was refering to the stereotype of them being rude, not to the stereotype of them prefering to speak french which is, of course, true.
                        Oh yes, they are a nice bunch of people,
                        never experienced any of them being rude

But also never heard of this stereotype about French being rude here in Germany.
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

That's because you don't live in America...
                          Drake Tungsten
                          Albert Speer

Comment

That's because you don't live in America...
                            Yep,
                            must be the same People who rename french Kisses and Fries in Freedom Kisses and Fries who spread those Stereotypes

Comment

Okay, I've been to paris 6 times. Kon's advice was great, but there are some things i would add.

1) rent a car or a motorcycle one day and drive into normandy a bit. Beautiful countryside, great food, and tons of quiant little villages.

2) visit mont st michelle. It is a fair distance from paris, but it is one of the most amazing things i think I have ever seen. ask around and try to find out when the tide is going to be in and plan your trip around that

3) nightlife: Les Bains Douche, La Scala, and the VIP room. La scala is easy to get in, les bains douche is more difficult, but there are always beautiful women there. the VIP room is near impossible, but if you can get in, it is well worth it. The club is almost exclusively models and people in the fashion industry, and from my experience, has a very high female to male ratio. You may want to check and see if they serve dinner, and make reservations. that way you could just stay after dinner, otherwise arrive very early.

4) don't worry about making a fool out of yourself trying to speak french. Almost everyone in paris speaks english, but most will refuse or give you misinformation if you don't atleast try to use french. The key is don't *expect* them to speak english.

5) Tips are already figured into the check (l'addition ) at restraunts

6) eat at a crepery. sooooo good. I think the dinner "crepes" are called gallettes.

7) don't be scared of steak tartar.

8) If you need a guide, feel free to drop me a pm. I would be more than happy to lend my services
                              "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

a quide?
                                Drake Tungsten
                                Albert Speer

Comment

Working...
                                X