Going to Paris soon, any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to Paris soon, any advice?

Hi. Three weeks from now, I will take my first trip to Europe. I am staying in Paris for one week. I've rented a flat in Le Marais area of the city. Hopefully it will not be too hot there. I don't speak any French. Should I change $US into Euro or Francs? Before or after I get there? Should I avoid taxi? I will see all of the tourist attractions, but I would appreciate any advice on lesser known sights to see. Any advice at all on how to enjoy my Paris stay and save $ would be appreciated. Thanks.

Don't let Slowwhand or MTG know -- otherwise, they will see you as un-American or unpatriotic.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Do they still use francs? It's my impression that everybody (other than UK, Sweden and Denmark) changed over in 2000 (?)

Euros are thus the common currency for most of Europe...
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Feephi
        I don't speak any French.
        Ouch.
        Buy yourself a Dictionary and try to learn some Basics of French.
        Many People there in France aren´t too eager to learn english and many who do it aren´t very good english Speakers.
        They are very proud with their Language, which is the reason why very much things have other names in France than in other Parts of the world.
        For example you will have hard times, searching for a PC. They call it Ordinateur, as they don´t like those Aglicisms the rest of the world uses.

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
        Do they still use francs? It's my impression that everybody (other than UK, Sweden and Denmark) changed over in 2000 (?)

Euros are thus the common currency for most of Europe...
        Of course, they use Euros in France
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

forget paris and go to amsterdam ... thats a place to be (and no Im not talking only about drugs).
          If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

Wait 'till it gets cooler. It's too hot right now.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

what che said.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Plus, since they aren't used to the hot weather, they don't have very much air conditioning.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Take the Metro whenever you can, taxis are far more expensive, and not necessarily better.
                  "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                  -Joan Robinson

Comment

Be sure to stick on your "I love Dubya" t-shirt... they're very popular in France, I hear.
                    Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Yes, and dont forget to bring a big US-Flag to pin it at the Eifeltower ...
                      If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

Learn to speak French and speak some French.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                          Plus, since they aren't used to the hot weather, they don't have very much air conditioning.
                          IIRC, they're better at that than the brits. That's not saying much, however.

Oh, and yes, at least attempt to speak French. They're flattered. Or at least, that has been my experience.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Re: Going to Paris soon, any advice?

Originally posted by Feephi
                            I've rented a flat in Le Marais area of the city.
                            Well... if a guy comes to you in the street and begins to chat with a large smile, beware

(just joking : it's a very nice place, and you will litteraly be in the heart of Paris. Just know it's generally considered as the "most gay" area of Paris ).

About the taxis...as Victor Galis said, try to avoid them, they are expensive and will probably be more if they see you are a tourist ...
                            Metro is better, even if it's quite hot right now (but it can change in three weeks...I hope ).

Originally posted by Azazel
                            Oh, and yes, at least attempt to speak French. They're flattered. Or at least, that has been my experience.
                            Yeah, I think you're right about this
                            "An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind" - Gandhi

Comment

Yes, boycott French products

Comment

Working...
                              X