Should churches have tax exempt status?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PLATO

Then you apparently don't pay attention.

You were talking about tax subsidy, correct? It exists in many forms (One of which I pointed out in the example that was apparently beyond your comprehension (Sorry-will try to keep it simple)). These exemptions exist because government has determined (through the voice of the people) that certain activities are worthwhile. Weather or not it is relieving the burden on lower income people or relieving the burden on charitable organizations is irrelevant.

The problem comes in when people disagree on what is worthwhile. Many would agree that EIC is wrong just as many would agree that tax-exempt status is wrong fro charities. The determination that government must make is weather or not the benefit to society outweighs the cost. Given the investment in people from both a pysical and moral perspective it would be very hard to argue that Churches do not benefit society. I don't agree with the teaching of Islam, but i support a mosque's tax exempt status because of the benefit that having that mosque provides for society. Hope I didn't get to complicated there. I will forward the trophy that you posses back to you upon reciept...apparently already in the hands of the rightful owner.
    You do understand the difference between a tax subsidy and a tax exemption, don't you? I mean, I'm only named after a Marx Brothers character, while you've taken the name of a great philosopher, so I'd expect you to grasp that.

Follow along: I am not arguing against tax-exempt status for churches; I am arguing against tax-exempt property-tax status for church property not directly involved in the church's ministry. As MtG points out, this exemption does not exist in some places, but it does exist in others (it's state-by-state). So the analogy is not to the EIC; it's more like saying parents with children don't have to pay any taxes at all, because raising kids is such a darned special thing to be doing.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I spent a year as treasurer at my church (RCA), and I can assure you that we pay payroll taxes. IIRC, we would also have to pay sales tax if we operated a shop (which we don't), and we would have to pay property tax and income tax on any for-profit property (of which we have one -- a parking lot that is leased by a restaurant during the week).
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
        Very good points. I never thought of it as churches being non-profit organizations.
        So? Why shouldn't non-profit organizations be taxed? Locally, the Jockey Club is a non-profit organization, but they do pay a good part of income as taxes.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Why shouldn't non-profit organizations be taxed?

Because they aren't in it to make money? After all, according to corporate taxes, the US only charges tax on profits. A non-profit, by definition, would not have to pay taxes, right?
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

part goes to Rome, from where it's pumped to spread the faith around the world and pay the fines the church has to pay for lawsuits against pedophile priests.
            Well, stop filing lawsuits against the Catholic church, and they will be able to do more charity work.

Do you expect the Catholic church not to defend itself against lawsuits? Where do you think the money is going to come from? From the money that would otherwise go to charity.

I agree that victims that have been abused should be compensated, but there are some who play off those who don't like the Catholic church through false allegations. These claims just waste money that could otherwise go to help people.

Finally, all the Catholic churches give money to the pope, just like other organisations pay fees to their parent body. Other charitable organisations can do this, so why not the church?
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Do you ever checker the insiders on stock trading?

Man there are a lot of churches investing a lot of money?!

Not for profit? My butt!

I have mulled the point of churches paying taxes for the separation of church and state, but in doing so you do curtail freedom of religion. Yet, even by taxing a church this does not mean that you are prohibiting the practice... though you may be hindering it.

All in all, I think that taxes should be levied on churches that have earnings that exceed what they need to operate. Why does a mormon temple need to be so huge and decorative? Why does the pastor at a catholic church need a $4.2 million mansion in the suburbs? Religion has become a shelter for con artist and schemers, yet we should not punish the country parish that relies on donations to feed the clergy. Sometimes charity begins and ends at church...
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Well, stop filing lawsuits against the Catholic church, and they will be able to do more charity work.
                tell the church to stop raping kids and then stop protecting the rapists...
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                X