Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women changing their names when married?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women changing their names when married?

Change? Don't change? Hyphenate?

If you're married, what did your wife do in this regard? Was it her decision or a consensus? Did it cause any arguments?

If you're not married, what are your feelings on this matter? Would you rather the lovely lady in queston changed her name?

Personally, I wouldn't care either way. In fact, if anything, I would prefer it if she DIDN'T change her name .... I think that'd just be a bit freaky .... it'd feel like I was ****ing my sister or something.

And before anyone asks: No, I have no plans to get married in the immediate future.
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Women should change their name because after they're married they belong to their husbands.

Comment

I am not sure if I care.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

My friend's wife changed her name to Beelzebub Dark Lord of Hell, most strange.
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

traditionally, korean women do not change their surnames when they get married.

imho, however, whether the woman changes her name or not is her decision. if my future wife decides to keep her name, or hyphenate it, or change it, it's fine with me. i don't plan on changing my last name, thus i don't expect or particularly desire her to change hers.
          (although i understand the husband changing names is common in some other cultures?)
          B♭3

Comment

It's a harmless tradition. Heck, I am a guy, and sometimes I wish I could change my name when I get married. Some of the women that I have dated have had such cool last name, so much cooler than mine.
            'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
            G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

I'd rather change my own name. Well, depending on who I marry I guess.... but it shouldn't be hard to beat the name I have.

EDIT: What am I talking about? I'm not going to get married.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

It obviously depends on the feelings of the couple in question. But generally, if one name is cool and the other common/unspellable then the other party may well chose to go for it, doesn't matter whether it's the male or the female. My sister's husband changed his name from the hard-to-remember-and-spell Kaunismäki to my sister's Pollak, because it was a cooler name. Another one of my relatives' husband went from Larsson to the more unusual Füri... But the other way as implied here is fine too.
                Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Is there some kind of marriage zeitgiest here on Ape?

Anyway, don't change and don't hyphenate. Women are recognized as people now.
                  - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                  - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                  - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

My wife took my name.
                    I'm very happy with that because it makes things easy. We're two people of the same house and we have the same name.

If we might ever get any children they'll have the same name as well. It'll keep things simple.

It's a tradition that the woman takes the man's name, but if my wife would have refused that I would have token hers. Just to be sure to have the same name.

I hate it when I call to a colleague in example, and then someone with a strange name takes the phone. I'm not sure, is it his wife? His girlfriend? His housekeeper or did I just dial the wrong number?

But indeed, it doesn't matter much if two maried people don't share the same name, but I just like it to keep things simple.
                    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

The weird thing is when her name gets changed even if you're not married. When we moved in together she sorted out the utility bills and explained we weren't married. I pay the bills.

We get an electricity bill addressed to "Mrs (her surname)", a gas bill addressed to "Mrs (my surname) and a water bill in both our names.

I suppose this says more about the quality of staff employed by the utility companies than anything.
                      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Poly! Ape?
                        Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                        Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Originally posted by The Templar
                          Is there some kind of marriage zeitgiest here on Ape?

Anyway, don't change and don't hyphenate. Women are recognized as people now.
                          But how do you prove ownership if she gets lost and handed in to the police station?

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                            I just like it to keep things simple.
                            Two names in one head?! No-one can live at that speed!
                            [/Izzard]

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
                              But how do you prove ownership if she gets lost and handed in to the police station?
                              Brand her ass with your sign.

Comment

Working...
                              X