Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What job do you hold or are you trained to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What job do you hold or are you trained to do?

I have a bad habit of assuming people who are avid gamers are also computer geeks like me. I've see there are doctors, geologists, and chemical engineers here and I was wondering what everyone else does to pay the bills. I'm a network engineer/administrator at a healthcare provider. What does everyone else do?

I'm a trained journalist. But I hate journalism and quit years ago.

I'm trained/experienced at electronics assembly and testing. Manufacturing jobs are very rare in the UK.

At the moment I'm disabled with a nerve injury to my left arm... hopefully physiotherapy will take care of this.

I'm retraining in programming... and with my luck, the market will be saturated by the time I get to it.

Oh yeah, several first aid courses as well that have so far not been needed.
    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

I'm a geologist though I've also been trained as a military NCO and I've worked various jobs from waiting tables to working at the Home Depot while I was still in school.

I almost forgot I used to work for HP on their production line manufacturing ink jet prnters. That was a while ago though and I found assembly work to be B-O-R-I-N-G.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I was a cook for about six years before I went back to school to study networking. I couldn't take the bad hours, backstabbing and politics anymore. So I took an office job and found that at least in the restaurant biz you knew for sure who was out to get you.

Comment

Lawyer

I do petroleum stuff mainly but am also aware of more specialized things like the zeroeth law
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I took a Literature degree. If you need anyone to sit around in their dressing gown at 4 o'clock in the afternoon drinking cheap red wine from a coffee mug and talking pretentiously about 15th/16th century English poetry then I'm your man!

Sadly there are not as many job opportunities in that field as I had been led to believe.

If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I'm trained in software engineering, I'm doing programming.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Cruddy
                Oh yeah, several first aid courses as well that have so far not been needed.
                /me collapses and starts foaming at the mouth.
                If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

* Cruddy checks FP's airway, breathing and circulation

Stop shamming, you ham actor.
                  Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
                  "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

I'm going for my Business Administration Bachelor's degree next year.
                    After that, I'll be going for a Master's degree in Marketing.

I also hold a certificate for working in security.

Comment

I work in the mortgage business. I manage the state of TN for a Fortune 500 mortgage lender. For almost 20 years I have done nothing but lend money. It is interesting work. You get to see how just about every profession pays, and you get all the details on everyones financial condition. It can be really suprising how appearences and reality diverge at times.
                      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Plato:
                        So YOU are the one sending me all this spam E-mail !

Harry Seldon:
                        I'm studying political sciences and sociology, and these fields (at least political sciences) open about any non-specialized carreer course. I don't have any precise plans regarding what work I'll do to pay the bills after my studies, but I expect to work in politics.
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

i'm trained as a custodian, but i'm going to college for compsci / psych / management.

i hope to work on Civ IV
                          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

eat

Comment

I hold a combined bachelors and masters degree in Biochemistry from Oxford University, was a researcher and research student at Hull University for 2 1/2 years involved in diabetes research principally plus some other vascular stuff. At the moment I do about 3 peoples jobs. I run the archiving side of the pharmaceutical plant I work at, ensuring that everything complies with GMP regulations in terms of retrieval and documents/samples stored, plus I am also an analyst in the labs now, making sure all the Fybogel in the world is fit for use
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X