Nuclear Weapons found in Iraq!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuclear Weapons found in Iraq!!!!

Well not quite, but I'm sure this will be hyped to the heavens.

From David Ensor
    CNN Washington Bureau

(CNN) -- The CIA has in its hands the critical parts of a key piece of Iraqi nuclear technology -- parts needed to develop a bomb program -- that were dug up in a back yard in Baghdad, CNN has learned.

The parts were unearthed by Iraqi scientist Mahdi Obeidi who had hidden them in his back yard under a rose bush 12 years ago under orders from Qusay Hussein and Saddam Hussein's then son-in-law, Hussein Kamel.

U.S. officials emphasized this was not evidence Iraq had a nuclear weapon -- but it was evidence the Iraqis concealed plans to reconstitute their nuclear program as soon as the world was no longer looking.

The parts and documents Obeidi gave the CIA were shown exclusively to CNN at CIA headquarters in Virginia.

Obeidi told CNN the parts of a gas centrifuge system for enriching uranium were part of a highly sophisticated system he was ordered to hide so as to be ready to rebuild the bomb program at some time in the future.

"I have very important things at my disposal that I have been ordered to have, to keep, and I've kept them, and I don't want this to proliferate, because of its potential consequences if it falls in the hands of tyrants, in the hands of dictators or of terrorists," said Obeidi, who has been taken out of Iraq with the help of the U.S. government.

Centrifuges are drums or cylinders that spin at high speed and separate heavy and light molecules, allowing increasingly enriched uranium to be drawn off.

Former U.N. arms inspector David Kay, now in charge of the CIA search for unconventional weapons, started work two days ago in Baghdad. CNN spoke to him about the case over a secure teleconferencing line.

"It begins to tell us how huge our job is," Kay said. "Remember, his material was buried in a barrel behind his house in a rose garden. There's no way that that would have been discovered by normal international inspections. I couldn't have done it. My successors couldn't have done it."

CNN had this story last week but made a decision to withhold it at the request of the U.S. government, which cited safety and national security concerns.

The U.S. government told CNN the security and safety issues have been dealt with and there is no risk now in telling the story fully.

The gas centrifuge equipment dates to Iraq's pre-1991 efforts to build nuclear weapons.

Experts said the documents and pieces Obeidi gave the United States were the critical information and parts to restart a nuclear weapons program and would have saved Saddam's regime several years and as much as hundreds of millions of dollars for research.

Obeidi said he felt unsafe in Iraq after the U.S.-led invasion and that he was getting pressure from different corners of the country.

He also said other Iraqi scientists were watching to see if he was safe after he cooperated with the U.S. government.

Now that he is safe, Obeidi said he believes other scientists would come forward with other components of Iraq's weapons program.

CNN National Correspondent Mike Boettcher contributed to this report.
    I see the government wanted to keep it quiet at first. I guess they were making sure it wasn't a milking machine.
    Only feebs vote.

Re: Nuclear Weapons found in Iraq!!!!

Originally posted by Agathon
    The parts were unearthed by Iraqi scientist Mahdi Obeidi who had hidden them in his back yard under a rose bush 12 years ago
    I stopped reading there.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Re: Re: Nuclear Weapons found in Iraq!!!!

Originally posted by Big Crunch

I stopped reading there.
      You shouldn't have. Apparently, one of Saddam's boys told him to do it for safekeeping. So he was awaiting the order for the nuclear program to start again - but it never came.

I suppose it isn't much of a find. The scientist said that if the Inspectors had taken him and his family out of Iraq he would have given them the stuff.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Quick! Dig up all Iraqi rose bushes at once!

And don't forget the azaelias!
        Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
        "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Nuclear Weapons found in Iraq!!!!

You shouldn't have. Apparently, one of Saddam's boys told him to do it for safekeeping. So he was awaiting the order for the nuclear program to start again - but it never came.
          Which would suggest that no programme was running in the past 12 years. No? Else they would want all those components back.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Nuclear Weapons found in Iraq!!!!

Originally posted by Big Crunch

Which would suggest that no programme was running in the past 12 years. No? Else they would want all those components back.
            So instead of a "smoking gun" they've uncovered a "rusting, poorly-maintained gun."

I'll have to remember to set my vcr to record FAUX News and buy some popcorn from the store. Their coverage ought to be entertaining.

*DRoseDARs' thoughts wander off as he wonders where he last saw the salt he usually adds to his popcorn...*
            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

They call that bull**** a "key piece" of Iraq's nuclear technology....

It looks like a carburateur kit for a 1986 Ford Ranger
              "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Getting closer.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Of course because we're all nuclear experts who know what we're talking about...
                  "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

Mark my words: we'll find the WMDs, it is only a matter of time. And when we do, all those naysayers will look really really stupid and it will be their own fault because they were determined to politicize everything rather than wait for the truth!
                    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Already looking pretty dorky, diplomat.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Be that as it may. The British Government lied to us about the WMD capabilities of the Iraqis, as well as lying to the public with 'intelligence' dossiers. If our Government had any decency there would be resignations aplenty.

Oh, and we're still waiting.
                        Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                          Getting closer.
                          Some might call it lowering the bar

Surely, at best they've found evidenece that the Iraqis have had no nuclear program for the last 12 years?

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Nuclear Weapons found in Iraq!!!!

I suppose it isn't much of a find. The scientist said that if the Inspectors had taken him and his family out of Iraq he would have given them the stuff.
                            Wasn't the key bit there that the regime would not allow inspectors to take them out of the country, and that the scientists were afraid for their own safety and that of their families?
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Actually the UN were getting towards an agreement on this, but unfortunately somebody went to the Azores and ****ed things up
                              Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

Working...
                              X