Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Christians see the bible as flawed due to its nature: a HUMAN recording?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Christians see the bible as flawed due to its nature: a HUMAN recording?

Not necessarily flawed to the point of it being irrelevant and inferior to verbal legend... but can Christians logically admit to inconsistencies, since the bible is not God's direct voice? How did the idea come about, for instance - that Matthew, Mark, Luke, John etc. were credible in perfection of description of the events?

I always hear that the bible is "God's word" - but as it was described and physically created through human medium, can imperfections not be expected?

Re: Can Christians see the bible as flawed due to its nature: a HUMAN recording?

Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Re: Can Christians see the bible as flawed due to its nature: a HUMAN recording?

Blah

Comment

I would probably imagine that this is how some Christians would account for the contradictions in the Bible.
        "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

but can Christians logically admit to inconsistencies, since the bible is not God's direct voice?
          Good question. Too tired to answer properly tonight, and I have an early morning tomorrow.

G'night all.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

The band Coil use a recording technique called "Worship the glitch". In other words, if the sound is affected by some equipment behave strangely, the workings of chance should be respected and the machinery should be considered as making a valid artistic contribution in it's own right.

Somehow that concept seems to fit here, but it might only make sense to me.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I consider it as such.
              Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

as far as i understand it, we catholics are supposed to take it figuratively and not literally; this, i assume, takes care of the contradictions?

i'm kinda fuzzy on that bit.
                B♭3

Comment

Yes, humans are flawed. The meaning is divine though since it was inspired by the Holy Spirit. That's an idea anyway.
                  "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                  "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                  "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                  "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Good post Zylka
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Unfortunately, they usually can't

Comment

Depends on the specific kind of Christian...But in general, the more they admit it, the more likely it is that they're somewhat close to abandoning their faith.
                        DULCE BELLUM INEXPERTIS

Comment

The Bible was written by people who recorded what they believed would be God's demands and expectations.

Not to mention that it becomes even more complicated due to the fact that it took hundreds of years of years for the Bible to be completed, by numerous people living in different, distant regions in different time periods.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Zylka
                            Not necessarily flawed to the point of it being irrelevant and inferior to verbal legend... but can Christians logically admit to inconsistencies, since the bible is not God's direct voice? How did the idea come about, for instance - that Matthew, Mark, Luke, John etc. were credible in perfection of description of the events?

I always hear that the bible is "God's word" - but as it was described and physically created through human medium, can imperfections not be expected?
                            Yes, of course. The writers of the bible were inspired by the Holy Spirit to write it down, but that doesn't mean they got it perfectly. Of course- the 4 you mentioned: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John I think we should give a little more importance too and credibility too since they try to give a more historical outlook on Jesus's life, relating to us what Jesus said- as say opposed to the parts of the New Testament about the works of the apostles and their preachings.
                            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

of course, I've always known that the bible was written by man- even if it was supposedly dictated to by god. Inconsistencies are inevitable.

Comment

Working...
                              X