No announcement yet.

Palestinian Gays & Israel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing at a time. In extremely macho cultures, homosexuality is a terrible, terrible curse. Maybe we should try and force our governments to list homosexuality as a valid reason for refugee status.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
      One thing at a time. In extremely macho cultures, homosexuality is a terrible, terrible curse.
      Except for the REALLY macho cultures where heterosexuality (except for, say, one day in the year) is a terrible crime because women are so evil etc.

Maybe we should try and force our governments to list homosexuality as a valid reason for refugee status.
      I concur. Actually, this article shows a better picture than I thought... As far as I knew, there are hardly any Palestinian homosexuals who escaped deportation... I've heard a story of two gays escaping to Haifa some three times - they got deported each time.

~Marc
      Brought to you by Firelad, AKA King of the Fairies

Comment

homosexuality as a valid reason for refugee status.
        Only in Canada.
        Do homosexuals have their houses burned down?
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Perhaps not, but this article say what they do have burned down...
          Brought to you by Firelad, AKA King of the Fairies

Comment

Originally posted by obiwan18
            Only in Canada.
            Sometimes.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Firelad

Except for the REALLY macho cultures where heterosexuality (except for, say, one day in the year) is a terrible crime because women are so evil etc.
              In those countries, rape of women is more prevalent. I think South Africa could qualify....

I'll have to admit, in Spain gays were and sometimes still are treated like crap. Under Franco, one of the policies I wouldn't of agreed with was this. It was treated as a crime.
              For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Only in Canada.
                What difference does that make? Is not the horrific abuse they are subjected to enough? If they don't have homes to burn?
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Do you have a basic human right to practice homosexuality?

If we offer refugee status, this must first be established as policy within Canada, that one has a definite right to practice homosexuality within Canada.

Section 15 of the charter regarding equality rights has major problems with the nebulous definition of sexual orientation as 'read into' the charter that does not explicitly distinguish between the practice and the person.

Just as we cannot offer refugee status to someone practicing bestiality, why should we offer that for homosexuality?
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Do you have a basic human right to practice heterosexuality?

Is gay sex illegal in Canada? If not, then one does indeed have the right to practice it.

If we offer refugee status, this must first be established as policy within Canada, that one has a definite right to practice homosexuality within Canada.

Section 15 of the charter regarding equality rights has major problems with the nebulous definition of sexual orientation as 'read into' the charter that does not explicitly distinguish between the practice and the person.
                    Considering you've now allowed gay marriage, I would think that would be easy.

Just as we cannot offer refugee status to someone practicing bestiality, why should we offer that for homosexuality?
                    Pray enlighted, why is bestiality akin to homosexuality, and if they are alike, how are either different than heterosexuality?

If people are singled out as a group for violence, they should be protected. It certainly makes as much sense to offer asylum to homosexuals, who aren't gay by choice, and say, Christians, who are Christian by choice.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Yes.

Do black people have a basic human right to be black?
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                        Considering you've now allowed gay marriage, I would think that would be easy.
                        Canada hasn't allowed it, a third provincial court has now said it should be legal.

The "Liberal" goverment has a history of appealing the rulings, and if that fails, stalling indefinitely.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Do you have a basic human right to practice heterosexuality?

Bestiality and homosexuality can't even be compared. How can you even say something like that? You just made me eliminate whatever little respect I had for you.
                          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Canada hasn't allowed it, a third provincial court has now said it should be legal.

The "Liberal" goverment has a history of appealing the rulings, and if that fails, stalling indefinitely.
                            Noted, but gay sex is not illegal.

Any one has the basic right to have a relationship with the consenting adult of their choosing. These gays aren't being tortured for actually having sex, they are being tortured for being gay. If one was just walking down the street holding hands with their boyfriend, they'd be attacked for it.

Being gay isn't solely about sexual intercourse.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

If people are singled out as a group for violence, they should be protected.
                              I agree.

However, your policy immediately turns every gay person in muslim countries into a refugee, regardless of the situation because the society 'discriminates' against gay people.

The palestinians should be refugees just because of the violence, and not because of the reason behind the violence. That's the point I'm trying to get you to see. The violence is the critical part of their refugee application, and not the homosexuality portion.

Asher
                              Do black people have a basic human right to be black?
                              I quote Boris in response, though somewhat out of context:

Being gay isn't solely about sexual intercourse.
                              Who you are is not necessarily what you practice.

Finally, how would one prove sexual orientation? Suppose I came to Canada with my boyfriend and said that we were gay. How would you prove the relationship and the persecution for sexual orientation? In this case, it is clear cut, but what about others? You see where I am going?

Any one has the basic right to have a relationship with the consenting adult of their choosing.
                              What do you mean by 'rights' Boris? As enshrined in the constitution? Even in Canada, there is no such right.

Comment

Finally, how would one prove sexual orientation? Suppose I came to Canada with my boyfriend and said that we were gay. How would you prove the relationship and the persecution for sexual orientation? In this case, it is clear cut, but what about others? You see where I am going?
                                So you want to eliminate refugee status for religious purposes, too?

So basically you want to narrow it down to physical aspects. Seems a bit absurd, to me.

What do you mean by 'rights' Boris? As enshrined in the constitution? Even in Canada, there is no such right.
                                Basic Human Right.

Comment

Working...
                                X