Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warm the cold spots and cool the hot spots.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warm the cold spots and cool the hot spots.

How about light filters in space to cool the Sahara so that it might grow again. Or, giant reflectors to warm the tundra of Canada so that wheat can grow like it does in the US.

If you got closer to the sun with the filters and reflectors they wouldn't have to be so large.

Also, we could cool Venus which ought to take the wind out of the 800 mph storms. (I figure the 800mph storms are why "women are from Venus" applys.) Reflectors could warm Mars...

Discuss...
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

omg....
    Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
    Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
    *****Citizen of the Hive****
    "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Re: Warm the cold spots and cool the hot spots.

Originally posted by Lancer
      Also, we could cool Venus which ought to take the wind out of the 800 mph storms. (I figure the 800mph storms are why "women are from Venus" applys.) Reflectors could warm Mars...

Discuss...
      You have heard of the Green movement haven't you? They would never allow such a change to the Venus environment to occur!!
      Introvert:
      spreading confusion far and wide...
      It will all be washed away by the incoming tide.

Comment

"omg..."

As in, 'why didn't NASA think of that', or as in, 'don't tinker with the fragile environment of the Sahara' type idiocy?

introvert, if you're had a "green movement" see your doctor at once.

Comment

...as in"what made you think of this in the first place?"

Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically

Comment

Frankychan, the population explosion of course. We need an interum measure to feed many more people. By converting the barren areas of the planet we increase its ability to support life.

Something to bridge us until we can get in our anti grav ships and find greener pastures.

Comment

Governmental enforcement of recycling would be a nice start.

That, and implementing harsher penalties to those polluters out there. It's an indirect way of handling overpopulation, but it would help.

I'd say we start colonizing the Moon.

Comment

well, what we could do to feed the people we have now is perhaps not wasting so much food here in the states, as in, paying people to throw away what they grow...
                B♭3

Comment

Venus was thought to be habitable until the 70's, when Russians sent a probe to there, wasn't it?

Air-pressure is the first thing that occurs into my mind.

Comment

A massive effort to establish recycling is a good idea, but not much of a thread.

Q Cubed, I agree with that. We waste sooo much food. At the mega store I work at the food department throws away a hundred pounds of hamburger sometimes. The chain used to give it to foodshare until a homeless person sued because they got sick. Well. Shoot all the damn lawyers, then fix the rest of the world.

Toum, we can blow off excess air presure with neutron bombs.

Comment

The best solution to population growth is mass executions, but since that's not palatable it's probably better to seek widespread birth control use, etcetera. I'm a big science/space program fan, but actually moving a significant amount of people to colonize a planet is quite different from just sending a manned mission.
                      Lime roots and treachery!
                      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

It would be cool to have space colonies though. Of course I wouldn't be the first to volunteer myself to join one. This is a good thread, a good opportunity for people to open their minds outside the current world in our current times and think of what could be possible for the future.

Remember, every great idea, invention, etc. was once just someone's thought, spark, fun idea they conjured up.

I would say more but I'm damn tired.

- Narz
                        Shop Amazon thru my Searchbox, thanks! Narz's Chess Page

Comment

You can share your ideas for the future on this thread if you'd like : http://www.narzwarz.com/forum/viewth...tid=101&page=1
                          Shop Amazon thru my Searchbox, thanks! Narz's Chess Page

Comment

Lancer:

Frankychan, the population explosion of course.
                            Population growth rates worldwide are slowing. Total population is expected to peak by 2050 at around 7.5 to 8 billion.

At least in the west, (minus the US), we are going to have the opposite problem. Deaths already outnumber births in Canada.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Cooling Venus will be much harder than heating Mars.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X