No announcement yet.

Computer upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, a great amount of our military stock (tanks and rifles) are German. The G-36 is German, made by H&K.

For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
      I'm replacing my computer in September.

Specs:
      Intel Prescott (P5?) 3.4GHz (1MB L2 cache, SSE3, improved hyperthreading, 90nm process, etc)
      Intel i875-based motherboard
      1GB Dual DDR400
      Radeon 9900(?) Pro 256MB
      200GB SATA HD, 8MB cache

Also buying a laptop around the exact same time:
      Intel Pentium M 1.8GHz (Dothan: 2MB L2 cache, 90nm process, etc)
      Intel i855E-based motherboard
      512MB DDR266
      Radeon Mobility 9600 64MB
      802.11a/b/g wireless
      IBM ThinkPad (T40?)

I will be looking at a similar setup around the same time...although I would like a colossal monitor too (I'll stick with a CRT, probably about 22") for all my current excel and database stuff, plus, big monitors are cool No need for a laptop for me. We are not all made of money you know, unlike your parents
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

I will be looking at a similar setup around the same time...

... We are not all made of money you know, unlike your parents
        Below the belt. I would say anyone on Apolyton is rich compared to the majority of the world's population who slave 18 hours a day just to survive.

I can't afford either setup or anything even close (i'm still looking forward to a CPU >1GHz) but I don't go all green eyed with jealously everytime I see a nice peice of hardware.

It's not what you've got - it's what you do with it.

And you can both shove SATA where the sun don't shine. SCSI3 rocks.
        Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
        "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

I'll make do with my Pentium 120.
          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

I make one post back and I get flamed so promptly. You forget that Asher is a spoilt mummy's boy

Besides I expect my car is worth far more than both of those computers combined, so quite why I would be jealous I don't know...although I would like a similar setup soon. And SCSI is just too expensive...
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I make one post back and I get flamed so promptly. You forget that Asher is a spoilt mummy's boy

.... And SCSI is just too expensive...
              Well, I guess we all have our faults. Call that a flame? I'm surprised you'd feel more than gently toasted.

Personally I find SCSI very cheap, but then I don't buy it brand new. I buy tested and warrantied stuff from ebay.

Chances are, if its going to last 30 days, it will last a lot longer. OK, I admit I make do with small (tiny compared to 200Gb) hard drives - but they so fast!!!!

It's seems a shame to have a speedy processor and shackle it to a treadmill. For me, having a slow processor ain't so bad - OK most recent games are still out of the equation BUT it's a pretty responsive desktop for day to day stuff.
              Last edited by Cruddy; June 4, 2003, 23:53.
              Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
              "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's
                I'll make do with my Pentium 120.
                Now THAT is an antique, you're talking about the best part of a decade
                Speaking of Erith:

Comment

We are not all made of money you know, unlike your parents
                  Hey, f*ck you, I'm paying for it all by myself. Just like the last computer.

I'm working two jobs, so take your 'tude and shove it.

And hey, maybe you would have some money if you didn't quit your school and leave it with an utterly useless degree, stumbling around aimlessly whacking people with your walking stick and looking for a job, any job...
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Thumbs up to Dave for defending himself.. congrats on getting the upgrade.. and seeing you worked hard for it.
                    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

The PC as it's speced out right now will come to $2400CDN including tax for where I get it from..which is like $1550US. Not a bad deal for a top of the line rig...The case itself is $150US.

I'm going to line the case with industrial soundproofing foam, too, should lower the noise by 5-10dB...
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Not bad at all...

Comment

I may wait a year and grab the 10 GHz 32 bit ALU at a high 1.8V Intel processor
                          “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                          Or do we?

Comment

Originally posted by blackice
                            I may wait a year and grab the 10 GHz 32 bit ALU at a high 1.8V Intel processor
                            Actually, new details tell us that the ALUs aren't double-pumped in the P4 line -- there are just two 16-bit ALUs that operate in parallel. The "10GHz" thing would be "effective", but it'd be a 10GHz 16-bit ALU technically.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                              The PC as it's speced out right now will come to $2400CDN including tax for where I get it from..which is like $1550US. Not a bad deal for a top of the line rig...The case itself is $150US.

I'm going to line the case with industrial soundproofing foam, too, should lower the noise by 5-10dB...
                              Not a bad deal indeed.

What kind of case is it?

I got an Aopen H700 when I upgraded a month ago (along with an Intel 865G, P4 - 2.40c, 1 GB DDR-400, and ATi Radeon 9500).

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
                                Not a bad deal indeed.

What kind of case is it?

I got an Aopen H700 when I upgraded a month ago (along with an Intel 865G, P4 - 2.40c, 1 GB DDR-400, and ATi Radeon 9500).
                                Antec PerformancePlus 1080AMG

Comment

Working...
                                X