Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A letter from the heart

The modern day Don Quixote

I suppose every one has heard of their favourite man of La Mancha, and his faithful sidekick, Sancho Panza. Do we not all chuckle at the foibles of Don Quixote: tolling at windmills, and even imagining the local inn as a respendent castle, with stone battlements and crenallated ramparts? Do we not all laugh when he expresses his love for his noble lady, a simple peasant serving the inn?

Whereas Don Quixote is the dreamer, what about Panza? He represents the firm realist for whom everything is as it is perceived, that the eye indeed sees the truth. What is a windmill but a windmill or an inn an inn? Nothing can be more than the senses, which after all cannot lie.

This is the most fundamental difference between the prolifer and a prochoicer; the prolifer is a dreamer chained to an ideal, while the prochoicer is a realist, grounded to pragmatism.

Yes, your view is wider, through the perspective of the eyes, but it is far more narrower from the perspective of the soul. Is it not the dreamers who inspire while the realists are exposed? Who would have imagined travelling to the moon, or communicating to anywhere in the world in a matter of seconds? Any who suggested these ideas 200 years ago would have been a dreamer, or worse, a possessed madman.

So as it was, so it is today. Like Don Quixote, prolifers defend ideals that many have forgotten, discarded and rejected. We see the unborn as a living person, equal in dignity and worth to her far more physically substantial mother. We see all persons as intrinsically valuable, regardless of their current capacities. Is that not like Quixote; do we not see what our eyes tell us does not exist?

I just have one more question, to curtail the length of this exposition. If we laugh at Quixote, is not the joke on ourselves? For who does not desire a world of romance, of honour of wonders yet to come? While many hinder Quixote, few reject his views outright. Rather than expressing them with such embarrassing passion, he should restrain himself. We all should dream quietly, as not to offend those with smaller dreams.

"We are the magic makers
    And the dreamers of dreams
    Wand'ring by lone sea breakers
    And sitting by desolate streams

World losers and world forsakers
    On whom the pale moon gleams
    Yet we are the movers and shakers
    Of the world forever it seems."

-Arthur O'Shaughnessy
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Like Don Quixote, prolifers defend ideals that many have forgotten, discarded and rejected.
    syn: obsolete
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Comparison is not an argument.

From this letter, everything that is not empirically grounded is a noble dream that makes the world more beautiful or better. This logic is flawed :

- While the pro-choice movement is more pragmatic than the anti-choicers, both ideas are very grounded into a kind of morals. Pro-choicers believe that life must be as painless as possible, while anti-choicers believe that life must exist no matter what.

- the belief of a different society in the future (and as such the speculations on the future) are completely different with defending different values about a current issue.

Sorry, but it hadn't me convinced at all
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

a girl I know has had many many terrible things happen to her in her life, worse than being born disabled or some of the other extreme arguments I have heard from prochiocers

she is happy right now and is glad to be alive, despite the pain she went through

the whole pain thing is a lie, so that prochoicers don't see the truth in their selfishness

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Is it the selfishness of the prochoicers that causes prolifers to kill doctors who do abortions?
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I fail to see the selfishness in being a prochoicer, except when you consider abortion only when it comes to you personally.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

If the entire argument is about wasting potential life, prolifers should demand people have intercourse as much as possible. After all, the fewer sperm and eggs we waste the better.

Comment

those people are screwed up (and few in prolifer circles)

prochoicers are selfish, for some it is just subconcoiusly

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

The "selfish" argument is extraordinarily poor, a sign of a poor position to be sure.

Comment

You need to expans Jon. Saying "prochoiocers are selfish" alone won't make me understand how so, and won't make me see the light

Comment

Could we please use " pro-lifer?

I keep reading it profiler!

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

If she'd been killed as a distinct human being without her consent, that would be a problem.

Obiwan - what one would hope to see one's own view of an ideal world, and what one intends to compel others to do by means of state power, are two different things.

I'm opposed to abortion, but I'm also opposed to state power being used to enforce reproductive choices unless there's enough fetal development to realistically assert a protective interest. I personally think that standard (wrt the state's right to impose power) is quite a bit earlier than the Roe v. Wade standard, but not as early as conception. That doesn't mean I favor abortion, or view it as moral. It means I favor limits on the state's ability to impose itself into matters of personal morality.
                        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

the people who I here about getting abortions

get abortions because they don't want a baby screwing up their life

killing someone else so that your life is easier, is selfish

life (especially human life) is special

Jon Miller
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                            If the entire argument is about wasting potential life, prolifers should demand people have intercourse as much as possible. After all, the fewer sperm and eggs we waste the better.
                            Yea, Ashie! Beat the living **** out of that strawman!!
                            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
                              Could we please use " pro-lifer?

I keep reading it profiler!

ACK!
                              Deja vu
                              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X